PDA

View Full Version : who owned a jeep?

fantoma33
06-23-2007, 12:44 AM
I've seen a few people on this forum mention jeeps.

Last saturday I traded my jeep in towards a Yaris. While I'm sad to see the jeep gone I'm really liking the Yaris.

Who else out there is into jeeps?

Pars
06-23-2007, 03:35 AM
Had the pleasure of experiencing a Jeep TJ for a week while in Maui. Took it completely around island, which I wouldn't recommend, unless you've got a Jeep. Also, a bike helmet might be wise in case of falling rocks since top down is the only way to experience Maui. I also blasted up a 10,000ft mountain, in pitch dark (wanted to see the sunrise and was late for it). My portable navigation system was extremely useful since I could see how sharp the next turn would be and plan for it. I was surprised at how well the TJ handled the turns.

That 6-inline is perfectly suited for the TJ, with ample bottom end power. Plus, it could out drag the V6 mustang from the lights (top-down mustang, sebrings and Jeeps were the most popular rentals on the island)

I most have really liked the the Jeep, cause one afternoon, while parked-up overlooking the beach, I had some idle time and detailed the interior, something I have yet to do on my own car! If Chrysler could lighten that particular model, while maintaining the off road strength and put in a fuel efficient diesel (that's as good as the 6-inline), I'd make for an awesome formula.

bnther36
06-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Had a Liberty, Wrangler, and a Commanche...loved everyone of them. As far as 4WD's are concerned, there's Jeep and then there's everything else. It's just to bad they get such crappy mileage. I drive 400 miles a week and it was really costing me a fortune to fill up. My best MPG in the Liberty was 19 where this wonderful little Yaris has gotten me 42+ twice. This I can afford.

punch
06-23-2007, 12:07 PM
well the diesel will soon come....and the JK is awesome...

Black Yaris
06-23-2007, 12:19 PM
I am in Toledo, Home of the Jeep/Willy's Overland

kurokoma-kun
06-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Oh man, when I was 19 I had a 1980 CJ7, a brown one with gold hardtop, also had rag and bikini top for it.

I got over the jeepin thing pretty fast though! :laugh: Replaced the starter like 3 times in the one year I had it! Good thing it could be started with a push or by parking on a hill :biggrin: Plus the gas gauge did not work, I ran out of gas all the time, the whole reason for carrying those extra cans on the back!

But damn that year I went places I could never have gone, all over Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona (no college til later, one of my harebrained schemes that actually worked out great :tongue:).

Mead
06-23-2007, 05:08 PM
2001 TJ Sport - There's nothing like top down and doors off... I thought I'd never rid the Jeep but it was a pain in the butt to keep clean and I had to park it outside, everything was starting to fade. 16 mpgs got old. But someday I'll get another one for sure.

Vanderkitten
06-23-2007, 05:11 PM
I had a Cherokee that I thrashed to pieces. 5-speed 4.0 Sport with an exhuast on it and free-flow cat. It was fun to take off road in Pennsylvania.

We rented a Jeep in Kona last December and hit the off-road trail (road) around Mauna Kea. It was pretty fun!!

blacksan
06-23-2007, 06:11 PM
cj's, inline 6 & v8.

dniloc2cv
06-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Don't forget the Comanchee pickup. It was free/a 4 cylinder/= no payments
Wonderful work truck/hauling treasures.
Besides it fits my budget. Wish mileage was better thou.
Carl

woof
06-23-2007, 10:40 PM
I drove a 4 cylinder/5-speed for 163K miles. It was beyond junk when I traded for my xB.

For the first 20K it was a good vehicle but time quickly took its toll. JD Power and other ratings have not shown much improvement over my 95' model but Jeep sells on personality much the same as motorcycles. I do like the new Wrangler and have actually seen the 4-door convertible with 5 speed/2WD for $21K! They can be cheaper that the 2 door Wrangler which comes standard with 4WD.

Blenjar
06-23-2007, 10:49 PM
My mom has a 99 Jeep grand cherokee....i haven't driven it for about 5 month.

-- Blen

fantoma33
06-24-2007, 12:42 AM
2001 TJ Sport - There's nothing like top down and doors off... I thought I'd never rid the Jeep but it was a pain in the butt to keep clean and I had to park it outside, everything was starting to fade. 16 mpgs got old. But someday I'll get another one for sure.

Agreed -- I was finally getting a little over 17MPG recently after getting rid of my knobby tires. I bought mine when gas was less than $2/gallon. If I had anticipated $3+ gas I don't think I would have bought it. It was fun while it lasted. I wanted to keep it as a "toy" but doing this didn't make any financial sense to me right now.

Top down was nice, but doors off was my favorite. :thumbup:

fantoma33
06-24-2007, 12:48 AM
That 6-inline is perfectly suited for the TJ, with ample bottom end power. Plus, it could out drag the V6 mustang from the lights (top-down mustang, sebrings and Jeeps were the most popular rentals on the island)

The inline 6 engine was definitely fun.

TO THE MODS: I just realized I didn't post this my original message in the "off topic" forum as I had intended -- sorry, that will teach me not to start threads close to 1AM :iono:

davembfan
06-24-2007, 02:50 AM
I had a jeep grand cherokee laredo, i miss it so much but i dont miss the mpg

Pars
06-24-2007, 07:24 AM
The inline 6 engine was definitely fun.

TO THE MODS: I just realized I didn't post this my original message in the "off topic" forum as I had intended -- sorry, that will teach me not to start threads close to 1AM :iono:

Hopefully the questionable 3.8L that's replacing the 6-inline for the 07 JK isn't just another cost effective move on a Halo model that's responsible for keeping the companies reputation... It sucks that the diesel is only slotted for European market.

punch
06-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Hopefully the questionable 3.8L that's replacing the 6-inline for the 07 JK isn't just another cost effective move on a Halo model that's responsible for keeping the companies reputation... It sucks that the diesel is only slotted for European market.

well so far people are liking the 3.8L, but as always wish for more, also engine swaps are happening like crazy to these new jeeps the 4.7L, the hemi, and even the srt-8 6.1L has been done...

now that the cherokee has the diesel it to will be swapped in, and I predict a diesel for the jk very soon.

sf180th
06-24-2007, 03:31 PM
I've driven a jeep my whole life, started out with a 85 Cherokee, then an 89 YJ, and currently a 01 TJ, I go off roading with my friends all the time and go to the truck shows with our jeeps every year. I bought the yaris cause my TJ only gets 11-12mpg.
Heres a pic.

Pars
06-24-2007, 04:24 PM
well so far people are liking the 3.8L, but as always wish for more, also engine swaps are happening like crazy to these new jeeps the 4.7L, the hemi, and even the srt-8 6.1L has been done...

now that the cherokee has the diesel it to will be swapped in, and I predict a diesel for the jk very soon.

The Mercede's 3.0 Turbo diesel engine is suppose be one best that's currently in production. I guess something good did come out of Mercede's ownership (300 being another one). It's surprising that Mercedes is still letting Jeep use their engine, makes me want to run out and get one before they change their mind. Too bad a city slicker like me would be hard pressed to find the proper roads (or off roads). But considering that a Diesel equipped Grand Cherokee can get 24mpg combined, the lighter JK (by about 500lbs) should return even better fuel consumption. It'd make for an ideal top-down 2nd vehicle. All I've got to do now is win the lotto. :rolleyes:

fantoma33
06-24-2007, 09:42 PM
I've driven a jeep my whole life, started out with a 85 Cherokee, then an 89 YJ, and currently a 01 TJ, I go off roading with my friends all the time and go to the truck shows with our jeeps every year. I bought the yaris cause my TJ only gets 11-12mpg.
Heres a pic.

nice. what do you have for a lift kit? what size tires are those?

Nigal
06-24-2007, 09:44 PM
I've seen a few people on this forum mention jeeps.

Last saturday I traded my jeep in towards a Yaris. While I'm sad to see the jeep gone I'm really liking the Yaris.

I have had Jeeps for about 10 years straight. I loved my Cherokee but even when I did everything to save gas the best I could squeeze out of it was 19mpg. I thought I'd miss the space but I went on a canoing trip and got as much stuff in the back of my sedan as I would have gotten in the back of my Jeep...and averaged 39mpg.

brpnagger
06-24-2007, 09:46 PM
we have a 05 renegade and have about 75k miles on it. Have had a few problems with it ie. ball joints but for the most part its served its purpose. getting the yaris for gas mileage. over double of the jeep

YarisTom73
06-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Had a 95 XJ 2-door with the 4 cyl engine. It was slow, but a blast to drive; however, not such a blast when you pull up the carpet and find the seat crossmembers are all there is between you and the road :laugh:
Sold it for $400, guy pop-riveted it together and still runs it today :thumbup:

kurokoma-kun
06-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Just for a larf... here's a jeep given new life as "limo" by a guy in Phillipines :biggrin:

cybermark
06-25-2007, 05:30 PM
I can not seem to find the thread for "mature" OLD Yaris owners. I will be 73 years old tomorrow.,,,,have owned cars for 50 years, and my Polar white Yaris LB is the BEST by far......Love it. Needs no mods...very COOL as is.............................................loo k for me on hills of San Francisco ( I DO drive like an old man,,,,not old lady,,,,,,,,,,have seen too many accidents( I want to drive till 100...watch out..........)

fantoma33
06-25-2007, 08:03 PM
I can not seem to find the thread for "mature" OLD Yaris owners. I will be 73 years old tomorrow.,,,,have owned cars for 50 years, and my Polar white Yaris LB is the BEST by far......Love it. Needs no mods...very COOL as is.............................................loo k for me on hills of San Francisco ( I DO drive like an old man,,,,not old lady,,,,,,,,,,have seen too many accidents( I want to drive till 100...watch out..........)

happy birthday. i think this is the thread you are looking for:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6376

YodaYaris
06-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Had a 1992 YJ with 3 1/2" lift and 33's...Sold that to buy a 05 TJ...traded that to buy an 07 yaris Sedan.

I miss the wave :(

nicholmikey
06-26-2007, 10:57 PM

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee before the Yaris, that was the worst fuel economy ever.

But the 4 wheel drive was priceless in the winter.

Miss my jeep, but love my Yaris.

Nigal
06-27-2007, 05:33 AM
I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee before the Yaris, that was the worst fuel economy ever.

But the 4 wheel drive was priceless in the winter.

Miss my jeep, but love my Yaris.

Have you had the Yaris in the snow yet? I was simply amazed at the crap I was able to get through last year. Plus if ya get stuck you can just pick up the car and carry it over the snow drift. LOL!

eureeca
06-27-2007, 12:17 PM
I just sold my '05 Rubicon, and I have an '80 CJ-7 project. Once I got hooked on the idea of the Yaris (which I hope to own within the next year), the 16mpg and sub-par build quality just hurt too bad. Loved the Rubi, but I'm glad I don't have to watch it rust while I make payments.

sf180th
06-29-2007, 01:46 AM
nice. what do you have for a lift kit? what size tires are those?

It's a 4 inch ProComp lift with 33x12.5 MTR's

LuckySweetheart
09-13-2007, 06:47 PM
My new Toyota Yaris is the first new car I've bought, and the first non-Jeep I've owned.

I've owned a 1985 Jeep Cherokee, a 1995 Jeep Cherokee, and a 1990 Jeep Cherokee.

I'm really, really happy with my new Yaris. :wub:

la panique
09-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Had a '96 Grand Cherokee Limited as a hand-me down for my first car. Loved it, and man, was it fast. It's been through it all, it's still in the family, over 310,000 miles on the clock. Not to mention, for a year of it's life, it was in the shifting hands of numerous owners after it was stolen from a shop. The next year, the car was recovered and returned to it's home.

Nigal
09-13-2007, 09:26 PM
My wife and I picked up a new Jeep Compass a few weeks ago. Damn thing was loaded to the gills with extras. It's getting maybe 23 mpg average but it doesn't even have a 1,000 miles yet. I'm hoping the mileage goes up some when the engine breaks in.

bandit1200
09-13-2007, 11:14 PM
had a Grand Cherokee always started in the winter and never let me down when it snowed,sure do miss that Jeep

blueskana
09-14-2007, 01:12 AM
I used to have a 78' with Quadratrac that I had alot of fun in. In 03' I picked up my TJ, which I've been working on steadily ever since. Right now it's got a full 6 point custom roll cage with halos, window and dash bars, welded through the body to the frame. Racing buckets and harnesses. Removed rear seating, stripped interior. Dana 44's out of a Dodge 1/2 ton, custom steering linkage, sway bars removed front and rear, Milemarker 9000, Goodyear MTR 37x12.5's, American Racing Teflon Mojaves, Hella's, LED converted tailights, chopped fenders, Poison Spyder stinger, Rockcrusher covers, Warn premiums, AA super-shorty SYE conversion, u-bolt yolk conversion, "high-flow" cat, shortened side exit exhaust, magnaflow glasspack. I have it aimed toward crawling, so instead of lifting it much, I cut away alot of sheetmetal to fit the tires. The lift is maybe 2-2.5", but the rubber clears, it sits low (for it's size) and is capable of some intense angles due to it's suspension set-up. I extended the bumpstops to limit uptravel and run 12" stroke set for extension. Want to ge OX's for it F&R soon and re-gear to 4.88 or 5.13.
She's a great little rig, and we've had alot of fun over the years. Plenty of scars, scares and close calls! Ha, ha, ha. She's reaaaaally looking forward to the move to Colorado to put her more in her element. I love my Yari as well, and I think they balance each other out nicely... they are almost the same color; kind of looks like my jeep had a little baby when they are parked next to each other! LOL. I hope I never have to sell it, and I'll be able to drive it to dust, putting around in it 20 years from now.
Yari and Jeeps FTMFW.

TVC15
09-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Interesting to see so many Jeep owners.

Up 'till now I've used a '92 Cherokee Laredo to get me 6 miles up and down the mountain we live on to a train station to commute into NYC (which is how the term 'station wagon' originated in these parts BTW). Recently I took on a new job that will require a daily 80 mile RT auto trip, so I bought myself a Yaris LB... the Jeep is too old and fuel hungry for that sort of daily commuting.

We're gonna hang onto the Jeep- we learned long ago that there's really no way to reliably do the climb to our home in a front wheel drive vehicle on a snowy/icy day without chains. The Jeep has never had a problem getting me home no matter what the conditions. Our local roads are also subject to downed trees and landslides during storms. Any hint of incoming bad weather this winter I'll be switching to the Jeep. Our other vehicle is a Subaru.

I love both the Yaris and the Jeep.