PDA

View Full Version : Blind spot

bnther36
06-24-2007, 11:00 AM
I came to a 4-way stop this morning and after looking both ways proceeded to pull out an almost drill someone. Thank goodness I'm slow off of the line. This is the second time that this has happened to me and I realized that the rear veiw mirror must have been directly in my line of sight with this other car. Has anyone else found the mirror to be obstructing their veiw?

punch
06-24-2007, 01:03 PM
I came to a 4-way stop this morning and after looking both ways proceeded to pull out an almost drill someone. Thank goodness I'm slow off of the line. This is the second time that this has happened to me and I realized that the rear veiw mirror must have been directly in my line of sight with this other car. Has anyone else found the mirror to be obstructing their veiw?

nope

Mead
06-24-2007, 03:15 PM
My vision was also impaired but it turned out the rvm arm was angled down a bit. Pushing it up allowed the rvm to go higher. HTH

Pars
06-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Nope. But I'm 6'2 and the seats a little farther back.

What I do have a problem with is the front pillars when making a left/right turn, but I've make it a habit to crane my head from side to side to make sure there isn't any pedestrian in my blind spot. Especially considering that I'm almost always going fast, so there's no room for mistakes.

Thotprawsis
06-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Can't say I've noticed this. After driving a tractor trailor for several years, you get into the habit of doing the bobble head maneuver, before moving.

bnther36
06-25-2007, 12:45 PM
My vision was also impaired but it turned out the rvm arm was angled down a bit. Pushing it up allowed the rvm to go higher. HTH

Thanks for the tip. I did have a little room for it to go up, I'll give it a week or so to see. 20+ years of driving and not so much as a speeding ticket and then 2 near collisions in the past 4 weeks....well it sort of shakes you up. I'm of half a mind to rip that mirror off and mount a cam on one of those child seat points on the back dash. The wife would probably shit a kitten when she figured out what I was up to, but it would make me feel better to have a full field of vision.

YarisTom73
06-25-2007, 12:51 PM
:laugh: LOL shit a kitten...

Kaotic Lazagna
06-25-2007, 03:38 PM
no, but i actually find the ol' "look over your shoulder" to have more blind spots than the three mirrors.

St_G
06-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Never had this problem, but I pivoted my mirror up within days of buying my Yaris.

lostmind
06-25-2007, 05:44 PM
I find the seats in the yaris are high up. So when I am sitting first at a light waiting to go, I actually can not see the light across the street!

I have to duck down a bit. Kinda funny as I'm only 5'8"

DjT
06-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Ya, I'm around 6'0". I test drove the car at the dealer ship and I did notice that the rear view mirror is sometimes in the way, it is for sure compared to other cars I've driven. I know exactly what you mean.

bnther36
06-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Ya, I'm around 6'0". I test drove the car at the dealer ship and I did notice that the rear view mirror is sometimes in the way, it is for sure compared to other cars I've driven. I know exactly what you mean.

I'm 5'11' and if I sit up straight on a bad hair day my hair will brush across the roof. I bought the sedan (the wife hates hatchback's:cry: ) but I thought that I heard the hatchback has more headroom. I might be smoking crack on that one though.

As far as the episode last weekend with the 4 way stop, I drove by and looked at it again this morning on the way to work and noticed a fair amount of foliage that goes right up to the corner. It's a back road that's kind of out of the way and all, so the incident doesn't surprise me now that reviewed it. I'm sure I creeped up on the intersection while the other car probably came to quicker stop; completely in my blind spot. Mine was the car on the left so in theory I had the right of way, but in reality I don't care. I don't want to wreck my new car!!!

I jammed that mirror up as far as it'll go and I'm trying real hard to remember to duck below and look. I'll give it a couple of weeks and we'll see how it works.

birdman
09-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Sometimes on the highway a passing car hides in the blind spot between the rear view mirror and the drivers door mirror. I had to adjust the door mirror further out than usual to compensate. So far so good.

MUSKOKA800
09-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Hmmm...it's more often passengers blocking my view, which is out through front half of the side window. My seat is adjusted about 2/3 of the way back.

RedRide
09-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Sometimes on the highway a passing car hides in the blind spot between the rear view mirror and the drivers door mirror. I had to adjust the door mirror further out than usual to compensate. So far so good.

Exactly.

Many do not know how to adjust their drivers"s side mirror properly.
The have it adjusted too far inward.

When the driver's side side mirror is adjusted properly (on any car), you shoud be able to just start seeing a passing car in your side mirror as you loose it in your rearview.

On the Yaris HB, this means you should not be able to see any of your own car in the driver's side mirror for most drivers..

CrankyOldMan
09-30-2011, 07:44 PM
I had the OP's problem when I first bought my HB. There is an on-ramp/merge lane on a hill near my house. One morning I lost an entire extended cab pickup truck behind the RVM. I now have the mirror all the way up, and do a quick head-fake around the mirror just to be sure.

A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
09-30-2011, 09:29 PM
you have to move your head and torso around all the time to be a safe driver in ANY car

bzinn 1
10-01-2011, 08:58 PM
As it was taught to me.......
1. Have a person stand past the rear of the car on the drivers side,in the area where you would of cleared an obstacle.
2. Sitting in the drivers seat with seat in upright position,lean to the window,once your head is at the window,adjust the mirror till you can see the person in your mirror.
3. Lean towards center console till you are in center of car have person outside the car at the other side just past the rear bumper,adjust mirror till you can see them.

What this does is get you in the correct viewing zone when you are seated in the drivers seat,upright position normal driving down the road....

Now when you look out the mirrors you have a clear view of the car that is now in the area you would want if changing lanes......most people use the side of their car in the mirror to judge where their car ends,well that leaves like a huge hole and blind spot....

NO matter what always turn head and actually look ,you never know who is changing from their lane to that spot at the same time.......