PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

Geelmeel
06-25-2007, 07:30 PM
I wanted to check at what mileage do brakes usually get replaced? I have 15000 miles on my Yaris and today I heard the brakes squeak for the first time. I want to see if this is normal. I am going to be taking it in for the 15000 mile service and when I tell them I don't want them to just replace the brakes to screw me. Thanks for your help.

Pars
06-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Automatic transmissions tend to burn through the brake-pads more quickly when compared to a manual transmission. Reason being, driver's with standard transmissions can better utalize engine braking, while the Automatic is packed full of moving gears that will need braking force to bring them to a stop.

It's just a matter of time before the manufactors do-away with the mundane alternator and use hybrid technology to subsitute. This will give the engine one less thing to do, insted of using some of it's horses to run all the electrical stuff (like steering and gas pedal).

I've got 63,000km on my manual 5spd liftback and am still riding on the orginal brake pads. They're overdue for an inspection, but considering that they're not squeeling, I'm sure they're still fine.

PetersRedYaris
06-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Mine do it sometimes also, but Pads should last well over 60,000 miles on this car.

Pavel Olavich
06-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Automatic transmissions tend to burn through the brake-pads more quickly when compared to a manual transmission. Reason being, driver's with standard transmissions can better utalize engine braking, while the Automatic is packed full of moving gears that will need braking force to bring them to a stop.

It's just a matter of time before the manufactors do-away with the mundane alternator and use hybrid technology to subsitute. This will give the engine one less thing to do, insted of using some of it's horses to run all the electrical stuff (like steering and gas pedal).

I've got 63,000km on my manual 5spd liftback and am still riding on the orginal brake pads. They're overdue for an inspection, but considering that they're not squeeling, I'm sure they're still fine.

(1) Auto Trannies can also use engine braking, without any damage to the engine or tranny. Engine braking is not just for manuals.

(2) Our 2007 Yaris engine does not drive the steering pump.

steved
06-27-2007, 01:14 PM
I wanted to check at what mileage do brakes usually get replaced? I have 15000 miles on my Yaris and today I heard the brakes squeak for the first time. I want to see if this is normal. I am going to be taking it in for the 15000 mile service and when I tell them I don't want them to just replace the brakes to screw me. Thanks for your help.

Does it squeak all the time or when it is hot outside?

I haven't had this problem on my yaris yet (just got it), but this happened alot on my echo sedan when it is hot outside. Even after changing the pads on rotors. The only thing that help this was adding a little bit of brake grease to the back of the pads.

The squeak is likely comming when the brake caliper piston puts pressure on the pad, not worn out pads.

Edd
06-27-2007, 05:47 PM
(1) Auto Trannies can also use engine braking, without any damage to the engine or tranny. Engine braking is not just for manuals.

Very true, however, a clutch is a direct engagement, and when in good condition, transfers rotation 100% either way. A torque converter transfers close to that from the engine to the wheels, but only a small proportion for wheels to engine (20%?). Think about it, if it didn't do that, then in many situations the engine would stall.

ECHOKnight2000
06-27-2007, 07:09 PM
I haven't had this problem on my yaris yet (just got it), but this happened alot on my echo sedan when it is hot outside. Even after changing the pads on rotors. The only thing that help this was adding a little bit of brake grease to the back of the pads.

The squeak is likely comming when the brake caliper piston puts pressure on the pad, not worn out pads.

My ECHO started it as well. Only when I'm like backing up in a driveway. Or driving slowly but its mostly when I back out. I think its when I don't fully put the breaks on. Its embarasing but I hope they last for awhile. I'm a little over 46k so they should last a little longer. How many miles did you have on your ECHO when you replaced the brakes?

Pars
06-27-2007, 10:04 PM

(2) Our 2007 Yaris engine does not drive the steering pump.

I don't recall saying that Auto's don't utilize engine braking, nor did I say engine braking would cause damage. And, where does the electricity to run the electric steering come from? If it was a hybrid car, it might come from regenerative braking, which isn't the case for a regular car.

"Automatic transmissions tend to burn through the brake-pads more quickly when compared to a manual transmission. Reason being, driver's with standard transmissions can better utalize engine braking, while the Automatic is packed full of moving gears that will need braking force to bring them to a stop.

I've got 63,000km on my manual 5spd liftback and am still riding on the orginal brake pads. They're overdue for an inspection, but considering that they're not squeeling, I'm sure they're still fine."

steved
06-28-2007, 07:58 AM
My ECHO started it as well. Only when I'm like backing up in a driveway. Or driving slowly but its mostly when I back out. I think its when I don't fully put the breaks on. Its embarasing but I hope they last for awhile. I'm a little over 46k so they should last a little longer. How many miles did you have on your ECHO when you replaced the brakes?

My did it also when driving slowly in traffic. Put brake grease on the bake of your pads should help the problem.

I change my brakes the first time at 102 kilometers secound time at 190 kilometers and now at 254 kilometers and the brakes are still good. And it is an automatic.

nsmitchell
06-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Whatever you do, get Genuine Toyota pads or you will squeaking forever, no matter how much anti-squeal compound you apply. Never put cheap pads on Hondas or Toyotas!

Edd
06-28-2007, 05:47 PM
I change my brakes the first time at 102 kilometers secound time at 190 kilometers and now at 254 kilometers and the brakes are still good. And it is an automatic.

Whoa! What have you done to your brakes, they really should last 500-1000 times more than that. :redface: :biggrin:

drifto
06-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Whatever you do, get Genuine Toyota pads or you will squeaking forever, no matter how much anti-squeal compound you apply. Never put cheap pads on Hondas or Toyotas!

i can back that up. if you want quiet and dependable, go oem. if you want performance or cheapy breaks then squeaks are going to happen, esp. any time it rains. squeaks dont always mean they are worn. sometimes humidity or road debris can cause it. actually waiting for them to start making noise isnt smart. in most instances when the pads wear down to the warning tang there is usually only about 2mm or less of the pad lining left. best to check them out every once and a while, it will save you from having to pay for rotors to be cut or replaced too. since brakes arent warrantied, get whats best. simple as that.

jamal1984
06-28-2007, 07:03 PM
if you want quiet and dependable, go oem. if you want performance or cheapy breaks then squeaks are going to happen, esp. any time it rains.

My brake squeaks when it's rains. And i only got 25k miles. Original Toyota Brake Pads.
I took it back to dealers and they gave me some bullshit answer like you have to upgrade to Drill/Slot BRAKE ROTORS + Performance pads to stop squeaking.
I mean do Drill/Slot BRAKE ROTORS worst it? if yes then i will go ahead and upgrade my.

ECHOKnight2000
06-28-2007, 07:59 PM
My did it also when driving slowly in traffic. Put brake grease on the bake of your pads should help the problem.

Thanks Steved for the info.:thumbsup:

drifto
06-29-2007, 12:51 AM
My brake squeaks when it's rains. And i only got 25k miles. Original Toyota Brake Pads.
I took it back to dealers and they gave me some bullshit answer like you have to upgrade to Drill/Slot BRAKE ROTORS + Performance pads to stop squeaking.
I mean do Drill/Slot BRAKE ROTORS worst it? if yes then i will go ahead and upgrade my.

lol thats a crazy dealership man. brakes squeak sometimes like i said. it doesnt always mean there is a problem. performance pads usually squeak more b/c the fricion material used is meant to withstand heat better. oh and to say you need slotted/drilled rotors to solve the problem is hillarious. usually high performance pads have more metal composition causing more squeaks. after it rains most cars will squeak for a bit till the rotor and pad surface dry up. it will happen after a car wash too somtimes, so dont stress it. :thumbsup:

Capagotks
06-29-2007, 08:54 AM
My parents used to own a Toyota Prado. after a while the front left brake pad started squealing, and the mechanic said it was kind of a warning indicator, and we had to get it replaced. he wasn't bullsh!tting either, it had really worn down. the brake balance controller had to be adjusted as there was a bias towards the front left by a small margin.

drifto
06-29-2007, 07:58 PM
My parents used to own a Toyota Prado. after a while the front left brake pad started squealing, and the mechanic said it was kind of a warning indicator, and we had to get it replaced. he wasn't bullsh!tting either, it had really worn down. the brake balance controller had to be adjusted as there was a bias towards the front left by a small margin.

yep there is a metal clip or tang that sits close to the backing of the pad. so when your pads are very low the metal tang hits the surface of the rotor during braking making a really annoying sound to let you know that your pads are very low.
http://adrenalineracing.com/images/Axxis%20Ultimate%20Brake%20Pads.jpg