PDA

View Full Version : Sedan - Trunk mounted bike rack

xtrred
06-27-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm looking to get a bike rack to carry my DH bike around. No roof rack, as it KILLS gass milage, and there's absolutely nothing easy about getting it into the car. My reservations are that 1) can the trunk handle the straps onwhich hold to the sheet metal & 2) has anyone tried one that they like or dislike?

Thanks
-M

punch
06-27-2007, 08:37 AM
I'm looking to get a bike rack to carry my DH bike around. No roof rack, as it KILLS gass milage, and there's absolutely nothing easy about getting it into the car. My reservations are that 1) can the trunk handle the straps onwhich hold to the sheet metal & 2) has anyone tried one that they like or dislike?

Thanks
-M
not sure about a trunk mount but you could buy a hitch, and a thule hitch mount bike rack

Thotprawsis
06-27-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm not sure if the trunk lid could handle it. I'm with "punch" on this one. Do the hitch thing. It's a little more money, but it won't scratch your paint and it's easier to put on and take off.

xtrred
06-27-2007, 08:51 AM
I too am worried about the strength of the trunk, as mentioned above. My concern is that on longer trips, the yaris isn't usually the vehicle of choice. My wife's focus zx5 has cruise control, and that generally wins the travel battle. That also means that car would need a hitch as well. This is why I'm leaning towards a trunk mount at this point......

Thotprawsis
06-27-2007, 09:05 AM
I would imagine the trunk should be able to handle it, it's not like the strap on bike rack is new. You could always email them.
http://toyota.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/toyota.cfg/php/enduser/ask_intercept.php

deebrown
06-27-2007, 01:39 PM
I have one of these, works well (held my bike on several cross country trips).

http://hollywoodracks.com/trunkRacks.html

xtrred
06-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the input. I have e-mailed them, but still have my reservations about the trunk mount with a 45lb bike on there. And that's only 1!!!
-M

Mead
06-27-2007, 07:06 PM
I have the Walmart 'double back' hatch/trunk bike carrier on my LB. I use it once a week... it does the job. HOWEVER to be completely honest I noticed ever so slight wavy metal on the top of the hatch where the straps make contact (BTW I also use foam padding to prevent scratches) No one else notices it so maybe it's just me.