PDA

View Full Version : build up for a turbo

redduck
06-28-2007, 09:54 AM
What do I need to buy in anticipation of a turbo kit farther down the line?

Do I need an exhaust, headers, air intake,pulleys, etc. what all do I need to buy to get the most out of a turbo. FYI I plan on buy the ZPI kit.

Turbo&Auto
06-28-2007, 10:24 AM
If you're buying a kit you shouldnt need anything else.

Intake and headers are worthless when you turbo. I suggest you do some research on how it works, its pretty obvious you're a turbo noob. Not knockin you but it is what it is. Turbo can easily kill your car when you have no clue, I really cant stress research enough!!!

redduck
06-28-2007, 10:41 AM
... I thought research is what I was doing? I figured I would get some good advice here

You can call me a noob no offense taken everyone had to start somewhere

whooppee777
06-28-2007, 10:59 AM
typically when you turbo a car the placement of things will change a lot to make room for all the extra piping, turbo and intercooler. so buying headers, exhuast, or an intake would be kinda pointless, because they most likely wont fit with all the other turbo components. most turbo kits come with headers, intake, etc. i plan on turboing mine somewhere down the line. that isnt stopping me from buying headers, exhuast, and intake now though because i want my engine bay to look good. only difference is when i get the turbo i'll just have a lot of useless parts. so i'll just buy another yaris:thumbup:

Turbo&Auto
06-28-2007, 11:19 AM
^You need some research too mang......You dont get headers cause they wont fit in the engine bay with a turbo, you dont get them because you need a turbo manifold to connect the turbo to the exhaust......turbo manifold replaces your OEM or aftermarket header. AND headers will NOT make your engine bay look good, the wiper motor assembly covers half the motor.....

Redduck: You're asking a VERY vague question. You need to read some just turbo basic articles then come and ask specific questions. I could write 10-20 pages on how to turbo or what you should do.....You see what I'm saying??? PLUS it really is best to read as much as possible from different sources. Everyone will tell you something slightly different, it happens all the time. I find I have the best luck when I read a lot from a lot of different people and then make the best decision based on a lil of each.

Not to mention, there is a lot of choices to make. Response or top end power? OR just the best of both worlds....These are decided with your turbo sizing. That alone is a HUGE decision!!!!

The biggest thing once you have a setup you feel will work well is the tuning. If you havent done it yourself ever, take it to a reputabe shop and have the car dialed in. It will help your response, MPG's, Power/TQ etc.....

WRBlue
06-28-2007, 11:26 AM
The real reason an intake and header would be pointless is because with a turbo, the exhaust gasses and intake are re-routed.

Instead of the throttle body, the intake goes into the compressor housing. A new exhaust manifold is needed to attach to the exhaust housing. A new downpipe is needed to attach from the exhaust housing to the cat.

To buy for a future turbo build:

Low compression pistons
Rods
computer
clutch
Probally stronger axles
cams

Ofcourse any of that except the clutch will make you car slower N/A

mandriu
06-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Has anybody thought about trying a scion tc turbo header and a t3/t4 turbine? I do realize the engines are different. I saw the header pretty cheap on ebay, but don't know if it will fit under the firewall with the trubine.

joey1320
06-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Has anybody thought about trying a scion tc turbo header and a t3/t4 turbine? I do realize the engines are different. I saw the header pretty cheap on ebay, but don't know if it will fit under the firewall with the trubine.

the fact that engines are different will make it pointless to get. you will need a specific manifold for the engine you have. i'm putting a turbo together for my lb so i'll try to take pics as i go along.

Turbo&Auto
06-29-2007, 06:32 AM
WOW.......

armature
06-30-2007, 02:08 AM
The real reason an intake and header would be pointless is because with a turbo, the exhaust gasses and intake are re-routed.

Instead of the throttle body, the intake goes into the compressor housing. A new exhaust manifold is needed to attach to the exhaust housing. A new downpipe is needed to attach from the exhaust housing to the cat.

To buy for a future turbo build:

Low compression pistons
Rods
computer
clutch
Probally stronger axles
cams

Ofcourse any of that except the clutch will make you car slower N/A

aside from the items in this list, i would add LSD, and gauges (oil temp, oil pressure, air/fuel ratio, boost gauge [useless until you're boosting but it's easier to do all the gauges at once]). also might want to upgrade the front brakes and wheels/tires. most important part about being faster is the ability to stop.

Sabretooth
06-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Yea, the car is made for stop/go city traffic, not really built to hit 100mph as fast as it can, then stop on a dime.

blueskana
07-01-2007, 05:33 AM
Does anyone make an LSD for the Yaris yet?

eTiMaGo
07-01-2007, 05:49 AM
Does anyone make an LSD for the Yaris yet?

TRD has one, and apparently Kaaz's one for the Corolla fits perfectly too.

blueskana
07-01-2007, 06:31 AM
I had heard about the KAAZ being put in the Tein (I think) Yaris, but I didn't realize it was a no-hassle fit. I couldn't find one on TRD's site, but I probably just missed it. Thanks.

Doc Zaius
07-01-2007, 10:32 AM
TRD LSD (http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_lsd_mechanical.html). :thumbsup:

majicmeow
07-02-2007, 09:31 PM
oooh... TRD LSD :drool:

I am correct in assuming that for all the part#'s listed are for M/T's only? hmmmm.. what are the chances it fits the 4spd Auto too? :confused: