PDA

View Full Version : redline hood lift

Jerkratt
07-04-2007, 05:53 AM
so i bought the redline elite hoodlift and received it but i did not know you have to rivet it. i thought it would bolt on.. so my question is does anyone have a rivet gun and know how to rivet? ill pay or smoke up or buy some beer or something. it came with the ones your sopost to use btw...

jdium
07-04-2007, 06:11 AM
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?marketID=401&onlineStore=true&locStoreNum=8125&Ntt=rivet&Ntk=AllProps&N=10000003+90401+503101&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&langId=-1

Meteorite Man
07-04-2007, 06:55 AM
Do you know how to use a stapler? If so, you are more than capable of using a rivet gun. Take the instructions you got with the hood strut (the ones that tell you that you HAVE to use a rivet gun) to HomeDepot, Lowe's or better yet a local Mom & Pop hardware store and explain what you are trying to do.

More help than you'll know what to do with.

Chuck

Jerkratt
07-05-2007, 05:38 AM
thanks im going to do that tomorrow lol

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
07-05-2007, 11:00 AM
EIGHTY BUCKS FOR THAT SHIT AND IT HAS TO BE RIVITED ON????/ WTF...........

9vapors
07-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I think it is way overpriced. I paid about the same for 2 Tein dampers... I think I am going to do a diy one in this case. Rear hatch damper from a Honda civic will work just fine.

Meteorite Man
07-05-2007, 12:33 PM
One more option, I know it's summer vacation but there are those who like to go against the grain. Go to a local Vocational/Technical High School and give them a shot at it. Usually it only costs you material. There are no labor costs. Many will take on a small job like that. I went to Vo-Tech and we did stuff like this all the time.

Just a thought.

Chuck

eijikikimaru
07-05-2007, 06:23 PM
My search button not working... did I miss a possible gb on these while I was gone?

Black Yaris
07-05-2007, 06:24 PM
redline will do a GB if 10 people want to buy

CaysE
07-05-2007, 06:30 PM
What's the discount on a GB?

Black Yaris
07-05-2007, 06:33 PM
I am pretty sure it was a 20%

eijikikimaru
07-05-2007, 06:47 PM
been searching... but didn't we have a tread about a possible gb?

I know we had one when this product was still in development but was deleted due to... uh, I don't remember why :rolleyes: ... is there a new updated one?

Black Yaris
07-05-2007, 07:21 PM
it was deleted due to Redline was not a supporting vendor, and I started a group buy with out them being a supporting vendor (as other people on this site have done) but my group buy was deleted

eijikikimaru
07-05-2007, 10:25 PM
OH YEAH!!! I remember now... they don't want to become a supporting vendor?

Black Yaris
07-05-2007, 10:32 PM
They will.... I am unsure the communication between the admin and the vendor.... I gave the redline the info to get ahold of the admin to become a vendor (wich they seemed interested in, so we could do a GB) but I have yet to hear anything back from the Admin or Redline

CaysE
07-05-2007, 11:25 PM
I can't imagine why it would be a problem... Nobody else makes these.

churp
07-05-2007, 11:41 PM
In case anyones wondering I did a DIY on the hood lift.....Order parts from MSC (prices and part #'s shown), fab a bracket, no drilling on the Yaris, no pop rivets, no reaching into the fenderwell to attach a stud, and a DIY price of under $25. Just got to use the search!!!!!

Black Yaris
07-06-2007, 12:18 AM
But you get a $25 install with that, the Redline unit looks much better and is positioned better, and holds the hood better. But if you do not care about cosmetics or longevity I would go with the $25 DIY

churp
07-06-2007, 01:52 AM
But you get a $25 install with that, the Redline unit looks much better and is positioned better, and holds the hood better. But if you do not care about cosmetics or longevity I would go with the $25 DIY

Come on BY....everyone has opinions on looks, but positioned better, holds the hood better, and longevity?????? Where does that come from???? I'd suggest you build one and try it before cutting it down. I haven't tried the Redline item.....off the cuff I'd say it's a good item and reasonably priced. But I did the DIY to show that holes don't need to be drilled in your car and installation can be much easier than Redlines.....my prototype brackets are just that prototypes, since you're trashing my work I'll make a good set of brackets and post a picture this weekend.....and the quality of the components are every bit as good as Redlines

Jerkratt
07-06-2007, 09:22 AM
dont worry about it man i was going to go ur route its cheaper and all and its done by someone on the fourms but i ordered them already... so i fgured what the heck

EDIT: so i went to home depot and bought one for 20 bucks... it had the push tabs... so i opened it with out tearing anything... used it and returned it told them that it did not support the rivits that came with my car part.. there like o ok here u go lol

Jerkratt
07-10-2007, 08:31 PM
well its installed ima try to get pics tonight if not tomorrow deff. cant wait for the battery clamp..... lol o and i went to home depot and bought a rivit gun and returned it lol best $21 and some change i ever didn't spend lol