PDA

View Full Version : Dealer said some BS...

Astroman
07-10-2007, 12:25 PM
I took my car in this morning to get it checked out. My A/C won't turn off after I turn it on, I had a problem with my driver side headlight, and I also noticed the egg smell from the exhaust. I just got the call back and they said it's "normal" for the A/C to stay on, since apparently the Yaris has a aftermarket air conditioning system. They said my headlight bulb is bad, which is BS because it's good. I just have to press on some VERY hot wires on the connector that is actually coming apart and it comes on. They said there was nothing I could do about my exhaust because there is no such TSB on the yaris hatch (BS, I have it!) and that I voided my warranty because I put on a non-toyota aftermarket exhaust. I have the TRD muffler, is this true?? I'm calling bullsh*t on them. I'm going back down there at 11am armed with proof I have a TRD muffler and the TSB. I'm also going to point out that the connector is actually melting. My aftermarket headlights are rated at 55/60, so there should not be any problems. :mad:

Imagine
07-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Take it to another Toyota dealer and get a second opinion.. They don't call them stealerships for nothing.

Thirty-Nine
07-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Man, reading this kind of stuff gets my blood boiling.

Your warranty is NOT voided because of ANY aftermarket exhaust. Unless they can prove your exhaust system CAUSED the "egg smell," then they need to fix it. By replacing your exhaust system you void the warranty on the factory exhaust system ONLY, not the whole car. If it's TRD that's even more frustrating.

Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Heck, I'll do it for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode15/usc_sup_01_15_10_50.html
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.shtm

Go in, be patient, polite, and surgical. Hand them the TSB. Ask to see that your warranty has been voided in writing -- they won't do it. It's a BS game some dealers play.

Man, this stuff makes me livid. Personally, I'd run screaming from that dealer.

CaysE
07-10-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm surprised to hear this about a Toyota dealer. They're usually pretty good. Don't even get me started about Ford.

Yaris Revenge
07-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Stick it to 'em 1st, though. Make 'em look like the idiots they are. :thumbsup:

~YR

Astroman
07-10-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm going in armed with TSB's in hand, the JDM exhaust P/N, original USDM P/N and new P/N with pics. As far as the A/C, I can't believe they told me it was aftermarket! If that is the "norm" with a yaris, I want them to show that too me with the other Yaris on their lot. I talked to my salesman (he's been nice about everything at least) and he said it could be possible to swap my Yaris for one that wasn't involved in a accident without adding more debt. Yeah, I'm pretty upset. 45m till I go back in there. :mad::mad::mad:

tacsniper
07-10-2007, 01:01 PM
go file a complaint with the HO in Toyota USA and get it fix somewhere else

Yaris Revenge
07-10-2007, 01:01 PM
What's the deal about "aftermarket" AC? Does that mean yours didn't originally have AC, and it was added later, or what? Even then, how does a switch turn it on but not off???

~YR

Thirty-Nine
07-10-2007, 01:09 PM
What's the deal about "aftermarket" AC? Does that mean yours didn't originally have AC, and it was added later, or what? Even then, how does a switch turn it on but not off???

~YR

x2

Astroman
07-10-2007, 01:15 PM

~YR

It originally came with AC, in fact, AC is standard on the US Yaris! They said the clutch system is always on. But I can tell its not, because the car has less power in town with it on. Not only that, but they are going to charge me $75 for the diagnostic, since the car had been in a accident, even though the stuff I complained about is under warranty. Can they do that?

PetersRedYaris
07-10-2007, 02:56 PM
If you have aftermarket headlight bulbs, swap them back to the origionals before taking it in. A melted plug could be blamed on the bulbs or the car accident if it was damaged. Good luck.

Meteorite Man
07-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Depends on the how bad the accident was and where it happened on the car. You say headlights/headlight? Was the front end damaged? Maybe a wire is pinched where the sheetmetal was replaced/fixed? Did the headlight have problems PRIOR to the accident? First thing I would do if any of the answers are yes....call your insurance company if they payed for repairs. It's their $ (even if another insurance company paid, your insurance company pays for you and then goes after the responsible party) and they might be pretty interested in knowing that MAYBE the repair shop was at fault.

Not against you here and I see your legit bitch with the exhaust and possible a/c (might want to check that out along with the headlight / I'm asumming a harness could be pinched)

Good luck

Chuck

Astroman
07-10-2007, 03:06 PM
I had already taken it in this morning. I'll probably just replace the plug myself.
UPDATE ON SITUATION: I went into the service department at 11 armed with all the P/N's for the TRD exhaust & pics, all the TSB's and determination that I was right. BOY, did their tone change when I handed them the part numbers and TSB's! They took back that I had voided my warranty and ordered the new cat to take care of the sulfer smell. And the AC somehow magically works fine now :confused:, go figure. I guess the service guy told the wrench guy the wrong information about the AC so there was a misunderstanding there. I guess they thought I was talking about the compressor clutch, when I was talking about the on/off switch. They did say cheap gas can cause odor problems even with the replacement. Although how much merit that has because there are only 3 other liftbacks in town and I'm pretty sure none of the other owners have managed to hunt down the TSB's, and they all got theirs after I got mine. They even dropped the BS $75 diag. fee. Which they should have anyway, all my problems were under warranty anyhow. They made no mention of my NST pulley or the lines I ran for the power inverter which is good. Thanks for all the back-up guys, I really appreciated it! Gave me some extra confidence going in there! :thumbup:

Astroman
07-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Depends on the how bad the accident was and where it happened on the car. You say headlights/headlight? Was the front end damaged? Maybe a wire is pinched where the sheetmetal was replaced/fixed? Did the headlight have problems PRIOR to the accident? First thing I would do if any of the answers are yes....call your insurance company if they payed for repairs. It's their $ (even if another insurance company paid, your insurance company pays for you and then goes after the responsible party) and they might be pretty interested in knowing that MAYBE the repair shop was at fault.

Not against you here and I see your legit bitch with the exhaust and possible a/c (might want to check that out along with the headlight / I'm asumming a harness could be pinched)

Good luck

Chuck

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2419000-2419999/2419954_10_full.jpg
This was what she looked like after the accident. I had no problems with the headlight before the accident and I had aftermarket bulbs. It doesn't seem to be a pinched wire because if I press on the back of the connector the headlight comes on and stays on until I shut the car off. It is super hot though even running stock wattage, and it looks like the connector is actually melting. I will try to run out and get a picture, it explains it a lot better.

Thirty-Nine
07-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Woo hoo! Glad it worked out in your favor! Well played!

I will say, I really pitty people that aren't well informed that get taken by $tealerships, because you know it happens all the time. It's also very hard to find a really good dealership. When I do, I always recommend them.

Astroman
07-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Here are the pictures of the light socket. Don't know how they could say it was the bulb.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb3/astroman87/badlight1.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb3/astroman87/badlight2.jpg

Kaotic Lazagna
07-10-2007, 03:48 PM
good job on making them feel dumb. props to ya.

Astroman
07-27-2007, 01:34 PM
UPDATE: Over my vacation in CA simply pushing on the back of the bulb socket didn't make the light work anymore. I removed the bulb and socket and the plug had melted and was burnt up pretty bad. The horz. prong on the H4 bulb was loose, and after wiring on a new socket (which was almost impossible to find in Visalia) I hooked up the aftermarket H4 bulb and removed it seconds later. It had already started to melt the new socket so I tossed it and put in my stock bulb so now I have one super white bulb and one yellow :rolleyes:. I wish I had saved the old socket to show everyone. No more will I purchase bulbs from ebay, even ones rated for stock wattage. Anyone have some good (name brand) reccomendations? I have tried buying from retail stores before but none had the bright white look I want. Also Wednesday I had my stinky CAT replaced. No more smell and the dealer washed all 2,600 miles worth of road grime, dirt & bugs I had massacared along the way.

njyaris
07-27-2007, 01:38 PM
I took my car in this morning to get it checked out. My A/C won't turn off after I turn it on, I had a problem with my driver side headlight, and I also noticed the egg smell from the exhaust. I just got the call back and they said it's "normal" for the A/C to stay on, since apparently the Yaris has a aftermarket air conditioning system. They said my headlight bulb is bad, which is BS because it's good. I just have to press on some VERY hot wires on the connector that is actually coming apart and it comes on. They said there was nothing I could do about my exhaust because there is no such TSB on the yaris hatch (BS, I have it!) and that I voided my warranty because I put on a non-toyota aftermarket exhaust. I have the TRD muffler, is this true?? I'm calling bullsh*t on them. I'm going back down there at 11am armed with proof I have a TRD muffler and the TSB. I'm also going to point out that the connector is actually melting. My aftermarket headlights are rated at 55/60, so there should not be any problems. :mad:

dude your so fucked ... from experience .. i could have told you to put it back to stock b4 taking your car in for analysis. espcially when the problems are related to you parts. dont go back to that dealer .. take off your parts and put the stocks back on and then go to another dealer.. thats the only way

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
07-27-2007, 01:53 PM
^ which now is probably no good now seeing as any toyota dealer can see what previous work was done when they input your vin number.....

Astroman
07-27-2007, 02:16 PM
The exhaust was straightened out when I came in armed with all the TRD exhaust P/N's. As far as the headlight goes they just assumed it was a burnt bulb, and not the socket. So I should be fine. They replaced the CAT (actually the entire mid-pipe) Wednesday and they didn't charge me for anything and the Service Manager apologized for his behavior.