PDA

View Full Version : Question painting alloy black..

David81
06-15-2006, 07:14 PM
I have manufacture alloy rims from toyota... i dont' like the grey color. Does any one know if its a good ideal to paint alloy rims black?

I want to paint it black but dunno what kind of paint to use if i want to paint it my self.. Or where to take it for a paint.

Do people paint rims? I live in Scarborough Ontario.

lowkey
06-15-2006, 10:09 PM
You would probably want to look up...

I have painted some of my wheels before not the Yaris and it turned out pretty good. Just follow the directions on the can.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html

Supa Lao
06-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Some people paint there rims, some people get it powder coated. Powder coating it will last longer. But painting it will be cheaper. Here's a tutorial from honda-tech if you want to try painting it yourself. CLICK HERE (http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1356908)

Chris07LB
06-15-2006, 11:23 PM
Painting wheels.. yes it can be done, but I have always perfered to powdercoat mine.

The difference is night and day, and if you use this car daily, stone/rock chips will be the death of painted wheels. Yes you can burry it under a hard clear coat, but at the end of the day, you would just be better off spending the extra money on powdercoating them.

Dont be fooled, now a days, they can match almost any color with the powder coating process.

David81
06-16-2006, 01:00 AM
Are there any shops that do it for u?

David81
06-16-2006, 01:32 AM
I need a auto shop that would do powder coating for my wheels

punch
06-16-2006, 06:47 AM
www.yellowpages.ca

powdercoat
chrome
wheel repair...

by the time you pay to remove the tires, from the rim, coat them, then re-mount them you might as well buy new rims..and use the stock ones for winter .

and what are you going to do, put the car on blocks while you wait for the rims to be painted??

lowkey
06-16-2006, 03:00 PM
I have heard it costs about $75-$100 per wheel for powder coating.
You are better off buying some aftermarket wheels.

Chris07LB
06-16-2006, 06:33 PM
I have heard it costs about $75-$100 per wheel for powder coating.
You are better off buying some aftermarket wheels.

It all depends on the area, shop, color, how much they are taping off, etc.

FYI, I paid $110 per wheel on my 24x10's, and they required quite a bit of taping off (4" polished lips) before coating.

fred812
06-16-2006, 10:35 PM
I have painted every toyota I have and never had a problem, The new paint systems are foolproof you can buy a small air gun and rent a compressor.

The cost is in the time it takes to tape them up, I have deflated the tires, placed masking paper in the gap the reinflate a little holds the paper mask perfectly, with the new breeds of paints you can even have a run in the paint and repair it after it dries, just wet sand and hit it again. As for clear coat that just turns yellow, and makes for tough touch up you can do with a q tip when you hit a bolder! Your local paint supplier will give you all the help you need.
IMHO
Fred

IntensePower
06-21-2006, 06:11 PM
powder coat is by far the best way to do a color change on rims. like some have mentioned you can take them to any powder coating shop. the reason why it usually cost $70 for a wheel is the labor involed in prepping the wheel.