PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light Question

falkor_99
07-16-2007, 04:48 AM
So my check engine light came on, check the milage and figured it was time to change the oil. So I did and now the check engine light still blinks 6 or 7 times before turning off. Just wondering if anyone knows that means? Thanks

Nigal
07-16-2007, 05:40 AM
Is it when you first start the car? I've always heard that 9 times out of 10 when the light comes on it's a problem with the gas cap not being tight.

Violin
07-16-2007, 06:21 AM
You have to reset the light after you change the oil. Its not automatic.

slvryaris
07-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Is it a check engine light or does it say main req? The sedans have a maintenance required light that comes on, but I am not for sure about the hatch. Might wanna check with some hatch owners. It might be a real check engine light and something might be wrong.

Thotprawsis
07-16-2007, 04:45 PM
If it's the service light, try this:
Push and hold the odometer reset button
Turn the key to the “on” position
The service light should start out solid, start blinking for a couple of seconds, go solid again for about one second and then go out.
Then turn the ignition off
This should reset the service light. According to a thread on toyotanation.
I hope this helps:smile:

Thotprawsis
07-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Even better yet. Stop by the dealership, to be on the safe side!

slvryaris
07-16-2007, 05:21 PM
It is in the manual for how to reset the maintenance required light, but make sure its not a check engine light.

falkor_99
07-16-2007, 11:14 PM
If it's the service light, try this:
Push and hold the odometer reset button
Turn the key to the “on” position
The service light should start out solid, start blinking for a couple of seconds, go solid again for about one second and then go out.
Then turn the ignition off
This should reset the service light. According to a thread on toyotanation.
I hope this helps:smile:

You totally rock man....did exactly what you did and its as good as new.....thank you sooo much dude:w00t:

r300f28
07-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Just did my first oil change yesterday on my 07 Yaris sedan.
Amsoil SAE 5-30 and Amsoil filter. Did not have to reset anything, no blinking lights, NADA. Have started the car several times since. Was aware of the problem of the reset after an oil change & had the information on how to do the reset. Turns out didn't have to do anything

gonzo452001
07-22-2007, 08:06 AM
It doesn't come on until 5000miles I always reset mine when I change the oil that way I know when it comes on I need to change my oil

slvryaris
07-22-2007, 10:10 AM
It is programmed for 5,000 miles after it is reset. If its not coming on then you need to take it back to the dealer, but I believe that every one of them has a main. req. light.

Just did my first oil change yesterday on my 07 Yaris sedan.
Amsoil SAE 5-30 and Amsoil filter. Did not have to reset anything, no blinking lights, NADA. Have started the car several times since. Was aware of the problem of the reset after an oil change & had the information on how to do the reset. Turns out didn't have to do anything

swng
07-22-2007, 05:15 PM
I have just come across a useful article on this subject:
http://www.extragasmileage.com/is-your-check-engine-light-on-youre-probably-paying-more-for-gas-than-you-might-have-to/#more-85