PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone checked with a paint shop to see if a clearcoat can be added......

grampi
07-17-2007, 03:27 PM
.....over the factory clearcoat to make the finish more durable? If you buy a new Yaris, maybe you can take it to a paint shop when you first get it and have them put like 10 coats of clearcoat over the factory stuff before any damage occurs. I'm not sure how much this would cost, but it seems to me even if it costs $400-$500 it would be worth it to protect the ultra-thin factory paint. Also, maybe there's some type of special clearcoat that's available that car manufacturers don't use that is far more durable. I've talked with paint guys in the past and most of them seem very knowledgeable. Might be worth a shot.

brickhardmeat
07-17-2007, 03:28 PM
sure it can

you are driving a rolla, I doubt the paint will be any different than what you already have

grampi
07-17-2007, 04:05 PM
sure it can

you are driving a rolla, I doubt the paint will be any different than what you already have

Yeah, my 'Rolla's paint is pretty thin too, but it's also 8 years old and I'm not overly concerned about the few chips it has. I would however be concerned about the paint on a brand new Yari though.

brickhardmeat
07-17-2007, 04:07 PM
I understand you are concerned but like I said I haven't had any issues with the paint. You could get the 3M protective installed, or clear coat.

churp
07-18-2007, 12:39 AM
I don't know what type of paint Toyota uses, not really qualified to answer but have heard a lot of companies have been switching to water base paints due to environmental concerns (but 'cost' is always the main concern). The urethane clearcoats have always been durable, but I can't see any cost effectiveness in repainting unless it needs it....good bodyshops are expensive, and the mediocre shops will probably do you more harm.

Paint also expands at a differant rate than metal, so the show cars can handle many coats of paint, daily drivers facing hot summer sun and frigid winters will crack and peel in no time. If you would go ahead with clearcoating, stay with one or two coats, three at the absolute most, just enough for the paint to 'flow' into a gloss covering. IMO the Yaris paint problem isn't thickness, but the durability of the coating.....it 'marks' very easily.

Edit add on: I was skeptical of everyones complaints the 1st four months I had my car....then an empty shopping cart put a 2" scratch in the cear coat, and a stick put 2 more 3" scratches in it. Cearcoat scratches appear white and show up well on black....I'll use compound and rub them out, but this wouldn't have been an issue, in these 2 instances, with urethane.

JosephDoc
07-18-2007, 01:26 AM
I have noticed the LB of ours have pretty thin clear coats when compare Lexus. No complain since I did not have budget to get a better car, and I never thought about getting extra coat for this car.

I am sure any bodyshop can sell you an extra coat, and it prolly won't be cheap. I remember dealer was offering for additional $1,400, and they said they will re-condition on the coating every 12 months for next five years. Of course I did not buy that.

My Yaya does not have the extra bling coat, but I love it the most among of my cars.

Black Yaris
07-18-2007, 01:55 AM
I have noticed the LB of ours have pretty thin clear coats when compare Lexus. No complain since I did not have budget to get a better car, and I never thought about getting extra coat for this car.

I am sure any bodyshop can sell you an extra coat, and it prolly won't be cheap. I remember dealer was offering for additional $1,400, and they said they will re-condition on the coating every 12 months for next five years. Of course I did not buy that.

My Yaya does not have the extra bling coat, but I love it the most among of my cars.

There is no Clear coat on our car

Vanderkitten
07-18-2007, 02:39 AM
I would try a really good wax to help keep the surface slick and it will add a small level of protection from stones and keys.

There is, of course, clear coat on the paint... just not a lot... nor is there a lot of paint.

Black Yaris
07-18-2007, 03:39 AM
I would try a really good wax to help keep the surface slick and it will add a small level of protection from stones and keys.

There is, of course, clear coat on the paint... just not a lot... nor is there a lot of paint.

are you sure there is clear on our cars? where my paint it chipping (my whole front end) it does not look like there is a clear... but then again I am not a paint expert

grampi
07-18-2007, 07:45 AM
I was thinking about having just the front end and hood done. That's where most of the damage would occur anyway.

nsmitchell
07-18-2007, 08:35 AM
I was at the Honda dealership with friends looking at the new CR-V and the cars in the showroom all had "ScotchGuard/3M" film protectors on the front ends. Looked great. I would drive the car to the closest film installer after you buy it, get it installed and then tell us how much it costs. hehe

grampi
07-18-2007, 09:06 AM
I was at the Honda dealership with friends looking at the new CR-V and the cars in the showroom all had "ScotchGuard/3M" film protectors on the front ends. Looked great. I would drive the car to the closest film installer after you buy it, get it installed and then tell us how much it costs. hehe

We had the 3M stuff installed on my wife's MPV when it was new. It's seems to be good stuff and it's held up well, but you can see the edges of it. It leaves a faint line where it ends. That's why I'm going to be looking into having something sprayed on. If there's a type of clearcoat protectant they can spray on, they could do the entire front end and hood and you wouldn't wouldn't even know it was on there. It would look the same as the rest on the car.

ChinoCharles
07-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Both of my parent's BMW's came from the factory with an adhesive protective mask on the front ends, if that tells you anything.

Grampi, I'm sure you can get some kind of paint insurance. I seem to distinctly remember while in the finance office this guy pitched me this coating that apparently uber-protected the car. He sprayed it with spraypaint and wiped it off. Maybe something like that would help?

I mean, you live in Ohio man. Your paint is going to shit. If you want to protect your paint move south! :laugh:

brickhardmeat
07-18-2007, 09:56 AM
then you'll be dodging tumbleweeds

JosephDoc
07-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Really? So there is no clear coat.. lol. I thought all car should have it or at least at some minimum level.:eek:

I got my custom-wrap (not template) clearbra done by PremierMobileGroup. I had the full front hood, bumper, headlamps, fenders, and 2 doors under the films. It had cost me a good chunk of dough but I just hate to see paint-chips.

PremierMobileGroup (http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/) and a sample pic:
http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/images/gallery/auto/ferrari/detail/0250.jpg

Check out their site for their jobs on some finest cars.:bow:

sherryberry
07-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Does our cars really not have a clear coat on it? Someone verify!!

death is my gift
07-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Are they suppose to have a clear coat?

grampi
07-18-2007, 03:26 PM
I would be shocked if the Yaris doesn't have clearcoat on it. Every car I know of built within the last 10 years or so has had clearcoat.

death is my gift
07-18-2007, 03:28 PM
I would be shocked if the Yaris doesn't have clearcoat on it. Every car I know of built within the last 10 years or so has had clearcoat.

Ah, good to know. Learning is fun.

sherryberry
07-18-2007, 03:33 PM
that's what i thought too but why are people sayin there is no clearcoat?

death is my gift
07-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Cuz like me they were misinformed? Don't really know.

brickhardmeat
07-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Yes there is a layer of clear coat on the car.

sherryberry
07-18-2007, 05:30 PM
brick comes to the rescue!

Meteorite Man
07-18-2007, 05:38 PM

That plastic wrap stuff sure does distort the Yaris.

Chuck

Meteorite Man
07-18-2007, 05:40 PM
brick comes to the rescue!

A real fine gentleman he is.

Just watch how fast he can get your pussy out of the tree.

Chuck

death is my gift
07-18-2007, 05:41 PM
So, why not put more than one layer of a clear coat?

brickhardmeat
07-18-2007, 06:26 PM
I am not certain that there is only one layer of clear but there can't be much. Why? Cost.

I had a scratch on my bumper probably bumped a tool installing struts or it happened pulling stuff in and out of the hatch area. It ws -very- easy to remove with Scratch X. Took me about 2 min. and it vanished.

churp
07-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Brick and Grampi are right, there is a clearcoat....just not a durable one. Best to talk to a good bodyshop about what's best. I vote for a good 2 part urethane....read an article when they first came out, street rodders were using it on frames and suspension components, they could actually beat on the frame after it was cured with a hammer and not leave marks....very tough. And the thinner the layer of paint the better!!!

grampi
07-19-2007, 08:04 AM
I am not certain that there is only one layer of clear but there can't be much. Why? Cost.

I had a scratch on my bumper probably bumped a tool installing struts or it happened pulling stuff in and out of the hatch area. It ws -very- easy to remove with Scratch X. Took me about 2 min. and it vanished.

The problem in doing that is you're basically using an abrasive to remove some or all of the clearcoat (depending on how deep the scratch is) surrounding the damaged area so you no longer see the scratch. Not only is a very thin clearcoat being used by the auto makers to save money, they obviously aren't using the most durable stuff either. I'll let you guys know what I find out about having the entire front end and hood done up with the good stuff by a paint shop.

brickhardmeat
07-19-2007, 08:49 AM
The problem in doing that is you're basically using an abrasive to remove some or all of the clearcoat (depending on how deep the scratch is) surrounding the damaged area so you no longer see the scratch. Not only is a very thin clearcoat being used by the auto makers to save money, they obviously aren't using the most durable stuff either. I'll let you guys know what I find out about having the entire front end and hood done up with the good stuff by a paint shop.

There is still some clear there and I'll give it a thick coat of wax. The scratch wasn't bad. Yes these products create many fine scratches to make the larger scratch fade disappear. You should see the underside of my front bumper. There is no saving that.:clap:

grampi
07-19-2007, 09:09 AM
There is still some clear there and I'll give it a thick coat of wax. The scratch wasn't bad. Yes these products create many fine scratches to make the larger scratch fade disappear. You should see the underside of my front bumper. There is no saving that.:clap:

If all the color is still there, you may be able to save it with a good coat of some good clearcoat.

brickhardmeat
07-19-2007, 09:21 AM
If all the color is still there, you may be able to save it with a good coat of some good clearcoat.

No bottom of the bumper has been scraped profusely. No paint left just plastic. Doesn't show.

grampi
07-19-2007, 04:30 PM
No bottom of the bumper has been scraped profusely. No paint left just plastic. Doesn't show.

Oh, how'd that happen?

brickhardmeat
07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
driveways mostly

Imagine
07-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Two types of paint is used in painting cars usually.. Base coat / Clear coat and Enamel. Enamel does not get cleared. I don't know of any manufacturer that doesn't use base coat/ clear coat. I'm not a professional body man, just do the stuff for fun but I don't see any reason why you couldn't lay a couple of coats over the stock. Just wet sand the stock clear and spray a couple coats of more durable clear coat. You'd be amazed how much better good clear would make the paint look too.

thatboyjer
07-23-2007, 05:38 PM
i just wash my car at the neighborhood wash, high pressure rinse, foam brush (which i thouroughly clean first with the HP rinse), high pressure rinse again, clearcoat protective wax, Spot free rinse, air dry by driving around.

End result? car looks great and i don't get any of those swirly looking scratchs from drying the car with a cloth. I hit all sorts of debris while driving to work on the dirt roads for 15+ miles in the mornings but the paints really holding up still looks great.

i think it all depends on maintenence.

grampi
07-24-2007, 07:59 AM
i just wash my car at the neighborhood wash, high pressure rinse, foam brush (which i thouroughly clean first with the HP rinse), high pressure rinse again, clearcoat protective wax, Spot free rinse, air dry by driving around.

End result? car looks great and i don't get any of those swirly looking scratchs from drying the car with a cloth. I hit all sorts of debris while driving to work on the dirt roads for 15+ miles in the mornings but the paints really holding up still looks great.

i think it all depends on maintenence.

Drying your car with a cloth doesn't leave swirly scratches unless you're either not using a 100% cotton rag, or the the rag's dirty.