PDA

View Full Version : Yaris going through water...

sherryberry
07-19-2007, 10:28 AM
OK, so yesterday, it was storming really badly here. I headed home and went through a HUGE puddle of water.. ok it wasn't a puddle. It was probably about a few inches of water. Now, I didn't realize that it was there until too late. I was too busy staring at the person pulled over, wondering why they're pulled over and then wham.. comes the water. My yaris cut through it like butter no problem and this is at about 35mph or so at this point... more or less. Then it cleared it out no problem and kept going.

And now that I have felt completely moronic, I have gotten rid of that question.. so now carry on and talk about how well yaris handles in water.. yup.

nqd
07-19-2007, 10:40 AM
do you have a cold air intake?

eTiMaGo
07-19-2007, 10:46 AM
hahaha yeah even here in nice tropical rainstorms my car just slices on through... :smile:

cleong
07-19-2007, 12:00 PM
You might just want to check that the black plastic wheel arch inner trims didn't get blasted out and misaligned by the sudden splash of water. This happens particularly on the front.

Thotprawsis
07-19-2007, 12:05 PM
I don't think you could have done any serious damage. Providing it starts and seems to run fine. I wouldn't worry about.

hans_fh
07-19-2007, 12:47 PM
No problems man.

P.S. I really want storm and rain in my town like you guys. Northern Utah is pretty pretty dry. :(:(

sherryberry
07-19-2007, 01:22 PM
I don't know if i got cold air intake. I think not? since i have not done any mods on it yet. anyway, the only kind of noticeable thing is that it seems to start off kinda sluggish and a little louder than usual going at a slow speed.. but then eventually, it was driving fine. It was still wet when I drove it this morning. I'll check to make sure later that everything is OK with my yaris. I was pretty surprised at the way it attacked the water. I thought i'd swerve or slip driving back yesterday and I didn't at all while going speed limit.

reznunt
07-19-2007, 01:45 PM
I don't know if i got cold air intake. I think not? since i have not done any mods on it yet. anyway, the only kind of noticeable thing is that it seems to start off kinda sluggish and a little louder than usual going at a slow speed.. but then eventually, it was driving fine. It was still wet when I drove it this morning. I'll check to make sure later that everything is OK with my yaris. I was pretty surprised at the way it attacked the water. I thought i'd swerve or slip driving back yesterday and I didn't at all while going speed limit.

if you haven't done any mods, then you do not have a cold air intake. splashing through a few inches of water might be a cause for concern if you do. you'll definitely know if you hydrolock it. :biggrin:

sherryberry
07-19-2007, 01:51 PM
well i'm just hoping for the best haha. it was fun while it lasted though but then I was like, crap, hope i didn't do any damage.

ECHOKnight2000
07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
^^Didn't you read the small print that says: Yaris may transform into a boat when the situation arises.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway its good to be concerned about it especially in car. I don't have a Yaris but one day I went into a puddle that was deeper than I liked it to be. My car started to shake a little and lose some power and then there was some steam! I was like yikes! Probably touched something hot. Anyway luckily enough it wasn't major and the car recovered itself and is perfectly fine. Lesson learned.

Although I do like splashing through puddles...yes I know I'm a little kid:tongue:

death is my gift
07-19-2007, 03:16 PM
I drove my Yaris over a bump. Will it be okay???

kurokoma-kun
07-19-2007, 03:35 PM
I drove my Yaris over a bump. Will it be okay???

Death: the question is, will YOU be ok. Really, will you ever be the same again? You may even have PBFD, (post-bump flipout disorder), please see a doctor and/or lawyer right away! :laugh:

Sherryberry, I know how you feel. I went through a huge puddle (more like a small lake) on the highway in previous car, and I did have CAI on it. It choked and spluttered and sounded like it was having a stroke--it was only after that that I learned about hydrolock.

But since you don't have one, it ought to be alright. SO glad you did not lose control of the car! :smile:

sherryberry
07-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Death: the question is, will YOU be ok. Really, will you ever be the same again? You may even have PBFD, (post-bump flipout disorder), please see a doctor and/or lawyer right away! :laugh:

Sherryberry, I know how you feel. I went through a huge puddle (more like a small lake) on the highway in previous car, and I did have CAI on it. It choked and spluttered and sounded like it was having a stroke--it was only after that that I learned about hydrolock.

But since you don't have one, it ought to be alright. SO glad you did not lose control of the car! :smile:

yeah.. or else this will be another accident thread :tongue:

death is my gift
07-19-2007, 04:10 PM

:laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove: :bellyroll: :bellyroll: :bellyroll:

sherryberry
07-19-2007, 04:44 PM
see, I have never driven any car through that much water and me.. i only know so much about cars. I can drive one, fill 'er up, etc. but I don't know if there would be any damage if driving it through water. It got into my undercarriage.. so don't laugh at me, death :redface:

slvryaris
07-19-2007, 07:32 PM
I talked to a guy from AEM and he said unless your goin through a lake the intakes would not suck in water. He said it would have to be some pretty tall water. If you dont think you have a cold air intake then probably not :smile: . You will be fine.

Pavel Olavich
07-19-2007, 07:43 PM
My dog farted in my Yaris....is the car okay? Ah, one more thing....my Yaris ran over a bottle cap...is it still fine?

Violin
07-19-2007, 07:54 PM
The car is fine.

Do we have your permission to turn this into a gag, sherryberry? The comedic possibilities are there, we just don't want anyone getting bent out of shape.

Pavel Olavich
07-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Dont be an ASS, all questions deserve an answer read the rules

What do you mean? I asked two questions, and you refused to answer them...maybe it is you that is being the ass! :confused:

Like you said, all questions deserve an answer, so here's a 3rd one: My front left tire ran over the double yellow line....is my car okay?!? :confused:

leowhy
07-19-2007, 10:17 PM
as long as u didn't IDLE in that "pool" of water & keep moving forward that time, it should be alright... :)

Kioshi
07-19-2007, 10:38 PM
it should be fine. You should see the cars in my country...they plow through the flooded street waters...small fiats and whatnot.
I've plowed through puddles on rainy days w/ my Mirage and that baby still ran 80mph consistant for an hour or so to S.F.
I expect the same of the Yaris, maybe even more because its a Toyota.

No need to be concerned sherry. Its a 10k+ object, it SHOULD last as through more than some puddles here and there~

Pars
07-19-2007, 10:48 PM
What do you mean? I asked two questions, and you refused to answer them...maybe it is you that is being the ass! :confused:

Like you said, all questions deserve an answer, so here's a 3rd one: My front left tire ran over the double yellow line....is my car okay?!? :confused:

:laughabove:

On a serious note, I've learned that when there's people standing on the side of the highway (and they're not hitch hikers), it usually means that there's a hazard near by. Sometimes, they're there to warn you about the danger, but what they're actually doing is taking your focus away from the real hazard.

Regarding puddles, cars are designed to go over them. Unless, something stupid was done; Like, removing the splash guard that's under the engine bay, or a performance intake that's not proof against bad weather.

If the splash was big enough to damage the car (which is doubtful), the effect would be immediate. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Typer73
07-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Must be the week for storms. I took my Yaris in for service & on the way home MAJOR storm! The town where the dealership is has horrible drainage even on the interstate so I was slogging thru giant "puddles" for about 10 miles (at 30 mph the "wake" was up to my windows). I was more worried about hydroplaning or being struck by the gigantic bolts of lightning than I was about damage to the car from the water. It just sliced right thru it, without even messing with the brakes!

nsmitchell
07-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Give Sherryberry a break, she said she doesn't know much about cars. Kick em when they're down. Geez!

sherryberry
07-20-2007, 11:07 AM
haha man i'm never asking a question again. And I found out what the water did do damage to.... the cheap front "plate" that the dealers had in originally is now all bent up haha.