PDA

View Full Version : SO I RAN OUT OF GAS THE OTHER DAY

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
07-19-2007, 04:02 PM
FIRST time too for me. i drove around for 2 1/2 days with the light blinking and ran out on the highway. good thing for me it was by my job and i was able to get someone with a gas can.....

death is my gift
07-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Well it's good to know that I can go a few (or more) miles with that last little bar blinking before I run out. THANKS! hahahaha, sorry to hear that though. Good thing you were by your work.

Nigal
07-19-2007, 04:10 PM
When that last dash starts blinking I get nervous.

brickhardmeat
07-19-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't trust that digital gas gauge. :iono:

sherryberry
07-19-2007, 04:48 PM
I have yet to get it to blink.. I go down to 2 bars and i fill up.. hey, how many miles before you ran out? how many miles do we get from that blinky thing before our yaris is dying of thirst?

swng
07-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Sorry to learn about that. Can you describe how did the car behave shortly before and just after it finished the last drop of gas? Did you have enough time to move to a safe spot and stop there to wait for help?

Nigal
07-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Yes, and is it easier to push a Yaris or just pick it up and carry it?

Pavel Olavich
07-19-2007, 07:46 PM
I don't trust that digital gas gauge. :iono:

The LB Yaris gauge is not digital...it's analog!

Pavel Olavich
07-19-2007, 08:00 PM
The display is digital, the mechanism is probably of the PWM variety which is analog

No, you are wrong again....since the LB Yaris gas gauge shows bars, these indicators are ANALOG, not DIGITAL...you wrongfully think that just because the display is an LCD, that it is digital...this is wrong thinking...for that gauge to be digital, it would have to show NUMBERS!

I have Master's in Electrical Engineering, by the way ;-)

cleong
07-19-2007, 08:51 PM
When you ran it dry you should have had it dragged to the nearest gas station to see how much fuel a Yaris can really swallow.

Meteorite Man
07-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Mmmm...Mmmm...Mmmm..., Love them 7 Segment Decoder Chips. A little dip or maybe a nice melted 3 cheese blend. Even served with a Yo-Hoo and maybe a side of Slim-Jims. Now your talking! 6584

Ok, now you college boys are talking some stuff. To me it sounds like chinese with a few letters missing. I never knew we had the blink blink "Bingo" fuel light till I witnessed it. I pulled right into the next station and filled 'er up. That will never happen again.

Is the fuel pump mounted in the tank on the Yaris? I've always tried to keep atleast a 1/4+ tank in my truck to keep the pump cool. The gasoline does the cooling part.

Carry on with your book learning talk and I'll sit back and try to learn something. 6585

Chuck

petesimac
07-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Digital television displays a picture, not numbers.

fnkngrv
07-20-2007, 12:57 AM

:laughabove:

I have run out of gas 3 times now. The first time it happened as it should have...I had the single blinking bar....I got 59 miles before it croaked....it was 1 in the morning and I ran out literally under a mile to the gas station (no I was not dumb and engineered this...I missed the last gas station on the freeway by 2 minutes after closing and they didn't have card readers on the pumps). The car coasted a few hundred feet easy and that was going up a slight incline. I had been going 75mph when it died. The second time it happened my gauge read at 3 bars. I was stumped and very pissed off. I called the local dealership (120 mile round trip) and they didn't believe me. They said to bring it in, but since I didn't purchase there they would not give me a loaner and wanted my car for 2 days so I couldn't swing it. The third time happened about 3 weeks after the second and the gauge had just rolled down to 2 bars. I was like WTF is this shit??? Anyway, I got it in to the dealer and they said that they reset my systems and it has been about three months with no incident. I have taken it down to blinking a couple times since without issue.

Imagine
07-20-2007, 10:12 AM
I hate LCD guages like this. My motorcycles use the same things, they just bug me. I'd rather have a needle style gauge. If I put gas in mine shortly after it starts blinking it usually takes about 9.5-10 gallons to fill it up. I've waited many of times for the fast blinking to start, which is usually around 10-10.5 to fill up.

nsmitchell
07-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Makes two of us.

wow so by your reasoning everything DIGITAL has to have numbers right? well the basis of DIGITAl is 1 and 0 and as an example a binary clock doesnt show numbers just bars/dots/lines. also most car makes still use analog inputs and convert the data into digital form. its called ADC and sampling

the gauge display is digital since its probably BCD coded to display the bars, the mechanism is analog im not arguing that , but the DISPLAY itself is digital, they dont turn off gradually, each bar comes on 1 or off 0, we could be sitting here arguing till we're blue in the face but until we see the schematic of the gauge display you and i could both be wrong or right. Im sure your familiar with the 7 segment decoder chip , also it can have an ADC to take the level mesurment and convert it into bar display.

I would agree. On and Off does indicate binary which is digital.
The analog reading is digitized into 8 bars.

BTW - I don't much care for the gauge either.

death is my gift
07-20-2007, 03:46 PM
When that last dash starts blinking I get nervous.

OMG, me too! Especially when I am driving my favorite writer around the metroplex.

ROCKLANDTOYOTA
07-20-2007, 05:21 PM
its funny cause i was about 2 miles from the rest stop where i was headed to get gas(cheaper gas in jersey) and wifey says to me the light was blinking. i laughed and said maybe i should turn off the a/c cause its been blinking for 2 days now. as soon as i turned off the a/c the car started bogging down when i tried to accelerate and i got a little scared cause im doing 75 in the fast lane on a major highway and all the car wants to do is COAST over to the shoulder....... and for the post about refueling i put 11.3 gallons in after getting help from my boys....

naossoan
07-29-2007, 06:19 AM
when my last bar starts blinking, I have about 6 litres left, which is ~1.5 gallons which with my average milage of 39mpg that should theoretically give me another 50 miles - 100km. But, I dunno. I don't want to risk it. I always just fill up the same day or next day that the bar starts blinking :)

Chris07LB
07-29-2007, 07:41 PM
No, you are wrong again....since the LB Yaris gas gauge shows bars, these indicators are ANALOG, not DIGITAL...you wrongfully think that just because the display is an LCD, that it is digital...this is wrong thinking...for that gauge to be digital, it would have to show NUMBERS!

I have Master's in Electrical Engineering, by the way ;-)

Oh shit.. Pavel IS BACK!! :headbang:

IllusionX
07-31-2007, 10:38 PM

hehe you are quite wrong actually... a digital TV (i assume we are talking about LCD or plasma) have pixels that are either on (1) or off (0) of yellow, megenta, blue, or the presence of all the colours (white) or the abscence of all the colours (black). :)

manborn
08-26-2007, 02:04 PM
not sure if this has been mentioned but on my s sedan:

- last bar blinks slow first
- then a bit faster when it's really low

i'll post youtube link soon

Chris07LB
08-26-2007, 02:07 PM
It has, but I guess post it for those wondering..

jdium
08-26-2007, 04:20 PM
I have a digital watch, I won it at a carnival http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/smilies/expressive/veryhappy.gif

Like others said, I get nervous when it starts blinking at me. And with the story someone posted on here recently about the cost of replacing his fuel pump that warranty didn't cover due to negligence, I don't want to risk it...

Chris07LB
08-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Exactly. No reason what-so-ever to let it get to that point... with the MPG these cars get, there shouldn't be an issue finding a gas pump before then. :laugh:

Pars
08-26-2007, 10:20 PM
I like the digital gage. The fast blink mode (twice every second) is hard to ignore. Once it's in hyper blinking mode, getting gas becomes my number one priority.

In my old car (Civic), the analog gage was annoying, since it'd fluctuate while taking a turn. The digital gage in the Yaris isn't so quick to react from the G's, which is a good thing.

black2yaris
08-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Yes the pump is in the tank & yer wise to keep cool with a bath of fuel as replaceing it is expensive

Canuck
08-27-2007, 09:29 AM
I like the digital gage. The fast blink mode (twice every second) is hard to ignore. Once it's in hyper blinking mode, getting gas becomes my number one priority.

In my old car (Civic), the analog gage was annoying, since it'd fluctuate while taking a turn. The digital gage in the Yaris isn't so quick to react from the G's, which is a good thing.

The same colour blinking combined with the center mounted console makes it hard to see. There should be a yellow warning light on the left hand side of the cluster, closer to our peripheral vision.

And that gauge is not that accurate. Last Friday, I was starting to think that either the cluster or the tank sensor was broken as that first bar was not disapearing. It went after 125km. My next thought was that this will be my greates tank ever!!!! The second bar went at 185km. Pretty much where it always disappears.

marcus
08-27-2007, 01:46 PM
my gas gauge average fuel:

1st bar atleast 110km to 126km the most
2nd bar goes up to 180-205km the most
3rd bar goes up to 250-265km
4th bar goes up to 320-345km the most
5th bar goes up to 385-405km
6th bar goes up to 460-490km
7th bar goes up to 540-572km
last bar- unbeknown- id give it 50-75 km the most. to dry empty.

Trish
08-27-2007, 04:27 PM
LOL! That probably will happen to me some day....but, you guys don't have the PEA???? It's a protection sold with our Yaris here in Quebec. It' pretty like the CAA. They will bring gaz if you need it ad it's free (you pay for it when you buy the car)

marcus
08-27-2007, 04:29 PM
yup i got one caa here in canada under toyota roadside assistance.

AAA in the states..

argylesocks
08-27-2007, 06:16 PM
oh man... i ran out this winter... at a stop light, about 1 mile from the gas station. 2 lane road with no shoulder.... i pushed it for about 500 feet solo to the first spot i could get it off the road. haha... pushed it into a snow bank cause i couldnt turn the wheel fast enough, so then i had to push it out of the snow, and back into the parking lot. what a mess... all the while, i was peeing myself afraid that i was gonna get runned over.

ran to the station at that point...

death is my gift
08-27-2007, 06:19 PM
oh man... i ran out this winter... at a stop light, about 1 mile from the gas station. 2 lane road with no shoulder.... i pushed it for about 500 feet solo to the first spot i could get it off the road. haha... pushed it into a snow bank cause i couldnt turn the wheel fast enough, so then i had to push it out of the snow, and back into the parking lot. what a mess... all the while, i was peeing myself afraid that i was gonna get runned over.

ran to the station at that point...

That is a really funny mental image.

The peeing.

manborn
08-27-2007, 08:29 PM
i guess im just real cheap coz i did kill mine as well before trying to go to next next next cheaper gas station

death is my gift
09-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Normally when my last gas bar thing is blinking I get all nervous. Well, it's blinking now and I want to see how far I can push it. I've read here that someone got like 50 miles out of the last gas bar blinking. I reset my mile thingie when it went down to the blinking light.....so far I have 14 miles on it. Hope it lasts til 50 cuz I don't get paid until Friday.

Oh. I drive 16 miles round trip to work. Staying in once I get home too. Gonna milk that last bar.

Pavel Olavich
09-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Makes two of us.

wow so by your reasoning everything DIGITAL has to have numbers right? well the basis of DIGITAl is 1 and 0 and as an example a binary clock doesnt show numbers just bars/dots/lines. also most car makes still use analog inputs and convert the data into digital form. its called ADC and sampling

the gauge display is digital since its probably BCD coded to display the bars, the mechanism is analog im not arguing that , but the DISPLAY itself is digital, they dont turn off gradually, each bar comes on 1 or off 0, we could be sitting here arguing till we're blue in the face but until we see the schematic of the gauge display you and i could both be wrong or right. Im sure your familiar with the 7 segment decoder chip , also it can have an ADC to take the level mesurment and convert it into bar display.

Just because the bars have two states (off and on) does not make the fuel gage digital. The bars are in fact not linear in representing the same quantities of gas. The gage is in fact analog, otherwise if it were digital then each bar would represent the same quantity of fuel, which they do not. For example the first few bars turn off slower then the last few ;-)

Pars
09-06-2007, 12:01 AM
The same colour blinking combined with the center mounted console makes it hard to see. There should be a yellow warning light on the left hand side of the cluster, closer to our peripheral vision.

And that gauge is not that accurate. Last Friday, I was starting to think that either the cluster or the tank sensor was broken as that first bar was not disapearing. It went after 125km. My next thought was that this will be my greates tank ever!!!! The second bar went at 185km. Pretty much where it always disappears.

Yep, my first drop happens at around 130km. The digital display is setup in a way to mislead you into thinking that you've got 1/2 tank remaining when you've actually got 1/3 tank left. Regardless, it's still very accurate once you factor in that idiosyncrasy

marcus
09-06-2007, 11:35 AM
well i finally reached 594 km before my last bar started blinkin' it may not be as good as others but then again thats about 80% hwy ive gone fishin last monday. hmmm.. that might not be as good as i think it is...?

Canuck
09-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Yep, my first drop happens at around 130km. The digital display is setup in a way to mislead you into thinking that you've got 1/2 tank remaining when you've actually got 1/3 tank left. Regardless, it's still very accurate once you factor in that idiosyncrasy

I don't know if it's necessary setup that way. I've yet to see a gas gauge that is linear and accurate.

I had a rental last week. First day, I drove about 80km. Gauge was pegged at full. Park the car overnight, started it in the morning to a gauge at 3/4. :iono:

death is my gift
09-06-2007, 12:15 PM
After my last bar starting blinking I reset my mile thingie. I got to 20 and started to panic. I wanted to wait just to see how far I could get before filling up. But I got all nervous and stupid. Oh well, at least I know I have a good 20 miles after that last bar starts blinking.

Sweet Mercury
09-06-2007, 12:42 PM
same here, except it does add a touch of futuristic look to the Yaris, but i still think they should have went with the reserve light i.e stop the blinking and just say add fuel lol

It's more like retro futuristic—I'd expect to see the gauge in a Delorian or something.

death is my gift
09-06-2007, 01:01 PM
It's more like retro futuristic—I'd expect to see the gauge in a Delorian or something.

:laughabove::laughabove:

Sweet Mercury
09-06-2007, 01:02 PM
i guess you can't read properly the MECHANISM of the gauge is ANALOG ie change in tank pressure equals increase/decrease of resistance but the DISPLAY for the thick headed --> THE LITTLE BARS is digital if they were ANALOG they would dim incrementally each time the gas level would decrese not turn off completely. You sure you didn't get your degree in a cereal box?

next time you feel like correcting someone read the post correctly , think about your reply for at least a week then post

Why is there so much argumentation on this subject? Why don't we just look at the definitions of analog (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/analog) and digital (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/digital) and see which one applies?

To simplify, analog refers to something that is measured continuously, or even better, referring to a measurement that is infinitely divisible. Digital refers to measurement in set, quantifiable states—think of the difference between the real number line and the set of whole numbers.

And digital also refers to a digital display (see definition 4).

So, the display is obviously digital by all applicable definitions. The measurement is given in set, quantifiable form: 8 distinct, non-divisible bars. How the internal mechanism measures gas I do not know. But if it's measured using any sort of continuously divisible means, like a pressure sensor/voltmeter, then it's analog. I'm guessing that's the case. If so, then it's an analog measurement, with the gathered information being converted to digital form for display, much like music being converted from analog to digital or a film photograph being scanned into a computer.

Can this argument be done now?

Sweet Mercury
09-06-2007, 02:51 PM
its the thick head that is not accepting the facts anyways im done not wasting my time on this anymore. and i thank you for restating the facts, measurement ANALOG display DIGITAL .maybe now that someone will understand.

Ah, I just quoted the last person who was talking about it. I wasn't specifically directing my statements at you or anyone in particular, just getting the facts out there.

TDL
09-06-2007, 10:46 PM
I also ran out of gas a few weeks back. I notice now that once I fill up the gas tank, the indicator will show 1 bar missing from the top. If I turn off the car and restart it, it sometimes show a full tank. Sometimes, it will not reset it. Anyone else experience this? Planning on bringing it in but have been too busy at work.

Thanks All.

sherryberry
09-07-2007, 12:06 AM
I also ran out of gas a few weeks back. I notice now that once I fill up the gas tank, the indicator will show 1 bar missing from the top. If I turn off the car and restart it, it sometimes show a full tank. Sometimes, it will not reset it. Anyone else experience this? Planning on bringing it in but have been too busy at work.

Thanks All.

hmm can't say that i have any problems. strange.

Rain
09-07-2007, 01:54 AM
Yes, and is it easier to push a Yaris or just pick it up and carry it?

:laughabove: :bellyroll:
i'd go with the later..

landrym28
09-07-2007, 08:27 AM

Thanks All.

Yeah, I would definately get that checked out when you get the chance...it seems kind of strange. :iono:

Rain
09-08-2007, 02:47 AM

Thanks All.

weird. this happened to me today on my first fill up.. i wonder what's wrong.

Sweet Mercury
09-08-2007, 03:32 PM
weird. this happened to me today on my first fill up.. i wonder what's wrong.

Maybe it's a glitch in the design of the gauge?

Rain
09-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Maybe it's a glitch in the design of the gauge?

should i get it checked?

sherryberry
09-08-2007, 04:36 PM
should i get it checked?

might as well. wouldn't hurt hehe

the_boss
09-10-2007, 03:20 PM
when I have 2 bars left and it been a day or so of driving i fill up the car and it get 38 liters in it... it says in the user guide 42 liters for the thank so 4 liters...15km with 1 liter...60km max...in my case...thank god I have roadside assistance on my cell:smile:

Angry Andy
09-10-2007, 11:06 PM
What's the fucking point in deliberately running a tank dry on one of the most fuel-efficient combustion engine-powered vehicles currently on the market?

Pavel Olavich
09-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Why is there so much argumentation on this subject? Why don't we just look at the definitions of analog (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/analog) and digital (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/digital) and see which one applies?

To simplify, analog refers to something that is measured continuously, or even better, referring to a measurement that is infinitely divisible. Digital refers to measurement in set, quantifiable states—think of the difference between the real number line and the set of whole numbers.

And digital also refers to a digital display (see definition 4).

So, the display is obviously digital by all applicable definitions. The measurement is given in set, quantifiable form: 8 distinct, non-divisible bars. How the internal mechanism measures gas I do not know. But if it's measured using any sort of continuously divisible means, like a pressure sensor/voltmeter, then it's analog. I'm guessing that's the case. If so, then it's an analog measurement, with the gathered information being converted to digital form for display, much like music being converted from analog to digital or a film photograph being scanned into a computer.

Can this argument be done now?

The gas gauge does not show numbers. It does not show a quantity numerically. It is analog just like a clock with big and little hands. Our Yaris gas gauge shows levels of gas, and there for is qualitative, and NOT quantitative. The number of bars does not matter, nor if the gauge monitors the gas level continuously or not. The data on the gauge are bars, therfore the gauge is analog. For the gauge to be digital, it would have to show the gas quantity left in the tank in DIGITS!

The A/C thermostat in my parent's home is analog because the gage shows a pointer that points to the current temperature. However the A/C thermostat in my home is digital because it shows the current temperature in actual digits, for example 69.5F

Chris07LB
09-13-2007, 08:43 AM
What's the fucking point in deliberately running a tank dry on one of the most fuel-efficient combustion engine-powered vehicles currently on the market?

One will ever know.....

Maybe to afford that one last $0.69 soft taco at Taco Bell??

sherryberry
09-13-2007, 03:03 PM
my bars go down randomly. it's never real consistent but i do get consistent mpg.

DeliciousYaris2007
09-13-2007, 03:06 PM
I push about 30 miles after it starts blinking, and that's it. It starts looking desperate after a while. Does yours start blinking faster? I swear mine does. (I pushed it 45 once...scared the shit out of me lol)

I get around 400 (maybe little over) if I top off the tank. I drive kind of fast though, so that takes its toll on my gas millage :(

sherryberry
09-13-2007, 03:07 PM
I push about 30 miles after it starts blinking, and that's it. It starts looking desperate after a while. Does yours start blinking faster? I swear mine does. (I pushed it 45 once...scared the shit out of me lol)

i never let it get to that point. I think someone else said that it's bad to drain your tank like that since it's running on fumes.. I just fill up whenever it gets down to 2 bars.

DeliciousYaris2007
09-13-2007, 03:14 PM
i never let it get to that point. I think someone else said that it's bad to drain your tank like that since it's running on fumes.. I just fill up whenever it gets down to 2 bars.

Good idea, but I'm a poor college student who for some reason believes if I run it down, it saves me money in the long run. I think it's actually in the manual not to allow that to happen.

Chris07LB
09-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Good idea, but I'm a poor college student who for some reason believes if I run it down, .

Just wait until it costs you a new fuel pump... you'll feel different then.

marcus
09-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Good idea, but I'm a poor college student who for some reason believes if I run it down, it saves me money in the long run. I think it's actually in the manual not to allow that to happen.

sorry bro i dont know how ull be saving money for running it all the way down .. you still need to buy gas after.. buying the gas sooner will give you less gas to pump anyways...:iono::iono::iono:

landrym28
09-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Somebody told me that the gas tank is like a funnel shape. It always costs more to fill the top half of the tank than it does the bottom half. I never noticed that until I tried it one day. It costs me around $40 to fill my tank...and it's around $25 to fill the top half..and about $15 to fill the bottom half.

I always "top up" my gas once I get to half full...just to save any future problems that could happen with waiting until there's one bar left.

Chris07LB
09-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Somebody told me that the gas tank is like a funnel shape. It always costs more to fill the top half of the tank than it does the bottom half. I never noticed that until I tried it one day. It costs me around $40 to fill my tank...and it's around $25 to fill the top half..and about $15 to fill the bottom half.

I always "top up" my gas once I get to half full...just to save any future problems that could happen with waiting until there's one bar left.

$40 to fill??? What the hell do you guys per gallon there??? :eyebulge:

landrym28
09-13-2007, 05:07 PM
where I am...I think it's $1.01 per litre. At that time that I tested it out, gas prices were around .97 cents a litre (or in that area). Hence, it was around $40 to fill a 42 L tank.

DeliciousYaris2007
09-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Just wait until it costs you a new fuel pump... you'll feel different then.

Oh yes, I know...

sorry bro i dont know how ull be saving money for running it all the way down .. you still need to buy gas after.. buying the gas sooner will give you less gas to pump anyways...:iono::iono::iono:

Oh, it doesn't really. It's a frame of mind, lol. One I need to change. Just a bad habit.

marcus
09-13-2007, 05:35 PM
yup first half give me about 344 km.. 2nd half about 250km with about 3 liters left on the tank

sherryberry
09-13-2007, 05:46 PM
usually costs me a lil less than $30 to fill up my tank from 2 bars.

and deliciousyaris, def. get out of that frame of mind... i just usually always fill up on fridays and that is when i am down to 2 bars.

DeliciousYaris2007
09-13-2007, 05:56 PM
I have to fill up about every four days if I let it run all the way down. Costs me about $30, sometimes under. I drive about 80-90 miles a day.

sherryberry
09-13-2007, 06:02 PM
geez that's a lotta driving. i drive 40 miles a day. and fill up every 6 days or so.

Just wondering, what are gas prices like in NY?

Chris07LB
09-13-2007, 06:28 PM
I get about 3 round trips out of one full tank of gas, filling up each time at around the 365 mile mark.

Yea, I drive a lot.

DeliciousYaris2007
09-14-2007, 01:42 AM
I have been paying around $2.75 per gallon for gas lately. Gotta search around though for it.

Chris07LB
09-14-2007, 03:48 AM
$2.45 here in JErsey.

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
09-14-2007, 07:52 AM
i pay 2.55 on the GSP in jersey....

sherryberry
09-14-2007, 12:30 PM
geez.. IL is one of the more expensive states when it comes to gas!! last weekend i filled up.. it was $3.15. and I think I saw some $3.11 today.

Rain
09-16-2007, 02:34 PM
i filled up yesterday, it was $2.93.. Los Angeles County...

sherryberry
09-17-2007, 12:06 PM
CA is even cheaper than IL ... ARGH

marcus
10-23-2008, 02:02 PM
HEY .99 CENT TODAY IN TORONTO FOR GAS..PER LITER