PDA

View Full Version : ITS ELECTRIC

yuiedie
07-20-2007, 09:54 AM
anyone else get shocked when they open their doors to get out of the car? happens to me everytime.

BailOut
07-20-2007, 10:01 AM
It's very dry where I live, and this was a problem. However, it went away when I installed a grounding kit.

That was a totally unexpected but welcome benefit.

nsmitchell
07-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Do you wear alot of fur or wool?

sherryberry
07-20-2007, 11:41 AM
it hasn't happened to me yet. I think it happens more in the wintertime here or so because in my old car and the bf's car, I always get shocked. but I think that was in wintertime .. yeah.

stuffy
07-20-2007, 12:37 PM
it usually happens to me in the winter time, but it is with every car i get out of, not just my yaris.

steved
07-20-2007, 12:44 PM
It happens to me when there is more then one person in the car.

nsmitchell
07-20-2007, 01:29 PM
I sometimes have troubles with "The static" you know...

naossoan
07-29-2007, 06:25 AM
I don't get shocked when I open the door, I get shocked when I close it.

So what I do to avoid being shocked is when I get out I close the door with the black plastic behind the window, then I don't get shocked.

Then when I open the door to get into my apartment, I open the door with my key, thus my key takes the shock and not myself :)

See, I have it all planned because I pretty much get shocked wherever I go, all the time. It's annoying cause sometimes they're big ones!

hystria
07-29-2007, 12:49 PM
keep a hand on the door's frame while stepping out :wink:

swng
07-29-2007, 01:47 PM
It happens to me, especially when I wear shoes with rubber soles.

Pars
07-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Never got zapped, even during the winter month.

Lately, we've been getting a lot of short but intense thunder storm in the GTA core, knocking down trees and power line (luckily it's in the wealthy area with mature trees....those guys can afford it). Anyways, with all the power line getting knocked over, I'd feel safer if the car wasn't grounded.

brickhardmeat
07-29-2007, 06:36 PM
it's the shoes

spinejaruk
07-29-2007, 08:04 PM
It happened to me in the first month when I had the car - I think its my rubber mats when they were new - now I don't get them any more, then again they're a bit muddy now (less friction?)

sherryberry
07-29-2007, 08:05 PM
btw, just after reading and responding to this thread, I got shocked the same day *sigh*

Shijima
07-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Well, after getting in over 100 different yarii, I can confirm you guys must have a higher electrical storage capacity, as I have yet to be shocked.

DjT
07-30-2007, 12:39 AM
It's completely normal to get shocked when walking out of a car, especially in colder and dryer weather.

There is less humidity in the air therefore it is easy to conduct static.

Same reason why you shouldn't re-enter your car while you are fueling up, the static shocks could start a fire in the fuel pump.

If people get annoyed, before touching the ground, grab something metal in the car, THEN step out, this will balance the charge.

Yaris Revenge
07-30-2007, 03:50 PM
"It's Electric"

Oh, great, now I've got that 80's song "Electric Slide" stuck in my head! Thanks so much! :rolleyes:

My Vibe lights me up on a regular basis, even in warm weather. She hates me, I think... she's heard me talking about too many other cars. Sometimes it actually burns! :cry:

~YR

sherryberry
07-30-2007, 03:52 PM
"It's Electric"

Oh, great, now I've got that 80's song "Electric Slide" stuck in my head! Thanks so much! :rolleyes:

My Vibe lights me up on a regular basis, even in warm weather. She hates me, I think... she's heard me talking about too many other cars. Sometimes it actually burns! :cry:

~YR

it's in my head too so you're not alone.. at least you're not doing the electric slide in your head.

jdium
07-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Never got zapped, even during the winter month.

Lately, we've been getting a lot of short but intense thunder storm in the GTA core, knocking down trees and power line (luckily it's in the wealthy area with mature trees....those guys can afford it). Anyways, with all the power line getting knocked over, I'd feel safer if the car wasn't grounded.

Grounded doesn't mean to the ground...there is no wire or something dragging along under you...

Shijima
07-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Grounded doesn't mean to the ground...there is no wire or something dragging along under you...

BTW I hate when I see that damned wire hanging from cars.

flint_mica_manual
08-01-2007, 07:09 PM
I got a heavy electrostatic shock every time I got out of the car and touched the door for about 3 months.

Doesn't do it anymore. My theory is that as the seats get worn-in they have less fuzz and so less of a build up. Also, I'm sure sweat and oils start to coat the seat after you own if for awhile -- not allowing the seat to transfer a charge to your body. -- a little gross, but I'm sure it has something to do with it.

Yaris Revenge
08-02-2007, 10:01 AM
BTW I hate when I see that damned wire hanging from cars.

My dad is a lift truck mechanic. All lift trucks have a chain hanging off the back to keep them from building a static charge... they generally use these flat, treadless rubber wheels and run on smooth concrete all day long, so they have the potential to build up a nasty charge. When Dad and the other greasemonkeys want to aggravate one of the driver's they'll hang the chain so that it doesn't touch the ground. Dad said he's seen an arc jump almost a foot to hit a guy as he dismounted. Pops like a sunuvabitch!

Fun stuff! :evil:

~YR