PDA

View Full Version : Low gloss plastic/rubber protector product?

jay
06-18-2006, 02:19 AM
I'm looking for suggestions re: a low gloss plastic/rubber protectant spray, to use on interior surfaces (as well as the tire sidewalls), about once a month or so. Does such a thing even exist?

What I don't want is something that leaves a shiny or glossy surface (i.e. the classic Armor All). I just want the plastic/rubber protecting part (in addition to the mild cleaning effect); I have no desire for a greasy, distracting shine.

I've browsed the aisles at Canadian Tire & Wal-Mart, but nothing seemed to be specifically low gloss (esp. in the case of the tire stuff, where the whole genre seems to be based on the super shine effect). Maybe I should try an auto parts store? It's more out of the way, but I'm willing to try them if there's a reasonable chance of success, and as long as there isn't a huge price premium.

boxerboy
06-19-2006, 05:59 PM
http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp Try this place. Get themto send you a catalog. I have been using thier products and they work very well.

lowkey
07-05-2006, 12:54 AM
For the interior I use Black Magic Semi-Gloss. Works very well without the greasy look. As for the tires Armour All spray in the black can gives the tires that 'soild black' look.

TRD_Yaris
08-12-2006, 07:33 AM
303 products makes the only true "black plastic, vinyl, rubber" conditioner. All the other just use a cheezy oil based solution that lays on top of the plastic,vinyl,rubber. the 303 brand product actually conditions and seeps in the pores..

Jem_hadar
08-18-2006, 10:13 AM
For the interior I use Black Magic Semi-Gloss. Works very well without the greasy look. .

Do you find that it leaves streaks on your dash? I did. The type of vinyl its made of is kinda unique (never seen it before in another car save for the Yaris), and I couldnt get a good even look across teh dash no matter how hard I tried.

Granted, I used some standard Amor All that my buddy was using for his, so many the kind I used was inappropiate for the Yaris dash.

You dont find you have that problem when you protected your Yaris dash, did you? It was really annoying me and bugged me bc I could see "swipe" streaks and couldnt seem to get ride of them for the longest time.

303 products makes the only true "black plastic, vinyl, rubber" conditioner. All the other just use a cheezy oil based solution that lays on top of the plastic,vinyl,rubber. the 303 brand product actually conditions and seeps in the pores..

Maybe I should try this product, just need to see if Canadain Tire/Wall-Mart sells it, or if I'll hafta go online... hmmm, cost?

Jem

ChinoCharles
08-20-2006, 02:00 PM
I just got finished cleaning my entire interior with Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Protect interior protectant...

http://www.meguiars.com/press/release_viewer.cfm?selected_ID=144

THIS STUFF IS AWESOME. My interior has just enough shine... not armor all greasy (what I was trying to avoid) and yet you still know the interior is taken care of. The product isn't overpoweringly smelly, and what surprised me is how well it worked on the bumpy plastic surfaces. I was worried about it not wiping off clean, but one microfiber towel folded in half (wax on side, wax off side haha) did the trick. It even reduced the visibility of some surface scratches in the plastic. Great stuff... the only product you'll need for your interior plastics.

Tomorrow the exterior gets ICED. WOOT!

daq421
09-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Honestly? I use low-shine Armor all... I apply it to the cloth and then wipe down the plastic. Cleans and protects w/out the armor all oily look.

-Peter

tomjasz
09-07-2006, 09:49 PM

Tried 303, WOW what an improvement over ANYTHING else I've ever used. Obviously I can't address aging issues, except that if I am to keep this car as I've planned, I know what happens long term with armorall. If you want a nice haze on a dark dash, use it...

Boo
09-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Tried 303, WOW what an improvement over ANYTHING else I've ever used. Obviously I can't address aging issues, except that if I am to keep this car as I've planned, I know what happens long term with armorall. If you want a nice haze on a dark dash, use it...

I tried 303 before.. it is a very good product. But I don't know where to get it again...
The only thing I can complain about 303 is the smell.. It got a bad odor. :barf:

tomjasz
09-07-2006, 10:37 PM
no smell here, and a 150 degree F interior will usually bring out any odors....I got mine from Campmor, couldn't believe they sold it , I included it in a camping supply order

nsmitchell
09-08-2006, 01:18 PM
I have found a great product called Plexus! It is friggin awesome on plastic, glass, even paint. It's great to use on the exterior because if it gets on paint, just buff it off and it leaves an awesome wax gloss. The plastics come out deep black and protected. The interior plastics look awesome too! It also work great on laptop displays and plasmas. I keep a can at work, with my car cleaning stuff, in my car, and by my PC at home. It is the only product used to clean and protect jet canopies by the military! I buy it by the case!

http://stylespilotshop.stores.yahoo.net/20214.html

Under my hood and on my tires I use Michelin 3 in 1 Tire Shine. Shines great without looking wet!

http://www.michelinman.com/care/tirecareproducts.html?source=careindex

I just love both of these products!:thumbsup:

jay
09-10-2006, 01:22 AM
Hi folks,

Was at Crappy Tire today, and was gonna pick up the Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner Conditioner. From what I've gathered, this stuff has some gloss, but it's not as bad as Armor All, and it's easy to find. Thanks to the members' suggestions here, I was aware of the 303 stuff (which supposedly is even less shiny).

Lo and behold, right beside the Meguiar's was the 303 Products Protectant. It was the same price as the Meguiar's (which is to say expensive at CAN$14), so what the heck, I figured I'd give it a shot.

To start, I made a quick try of the stuff on the dash, and on the exterior mirror housing & mudguards (i.e. the black plastic). I did notice that it streaked a bit on the dash, but this could be b/c of the textured surface combined w/my application, er, "technique". Not brave enough yet to try it on the tires.

I'll need a bit more time to evaluate the results and report back.