PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission woes

thatboyjer
07-23-2007, 12:05 AM
i'm never driving my car without shoes ever again.

i swear i can drive this thing just fine with my shoes on, but just now i had to run an errand so i just went in slippers and let me tell you I STALLED OUT TWICE IN A ROW.

on another side note, sometimes my foot is too big and i press in the clutch but my foot hits like the dash or something and the clutch isn't pressed (even though i think i've reached the floor) and i end up grinding a gear, usually 2nd going into 3rd.

anyways my big question is, did the stalling out and those grinds on those rare occasions majorly affect the life of my car?

people told me not worry, just don't make it a habit and whatnot but i just wanted to hear ya'lls input as well.

tekmoe
07-23-2007, 12:24 AM
i'm never driving my car without shoes ever again.

i swear i can drive this thing just fine with my shoes on, but just now i had to run an errand so i just went in slippers and let me tell you I STALLED OUT TWICE IN A ROW.

on another side note, sometimes my foot is too big and i press in the clutch but my foot hits like the dash or something and the clutch isn't pressed (even though i think i've reached the floor) and i end up grinding a gear, usually 2nd going into 3rd.

anyways my big question is, did the stalling out and those grinds on those rare occasions majorly affect the life of my car?

people told me not worry, just don't make it a habit and whatnot but i just wanted to hear ya'lls input as well.

i would never drive a manual tranny car without shoes. it sounds painful just thinking about it! ouch!

red-jdm
07-23-2007, 07:46 AM
try to drive with puma sneakers, but the ones with the thin soles...they are brilliant

kimona
07-23-2007, 08:48 AM
I remember when I lived in Taiwan, it was illegal to drive in flip-flops or bare feet.

ChinoCharles
07-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I am a chronic barefoot manual driver. In the summer I kick my sandals under my seat. Am I weird?

Imagine
07-23-2007, 01:45 PM
You wear sandals.. Yes, you're weird. lol

It's actually illegal to drive barefoot in some US states as well.

Black Yaris
07-23-2007, 01:48 PM
You wear sandals.. Yes, you're weird. lol

It's actually illegal to drive barefoot in some US states as well.

Ohio being one of them..... who don't wear sandals? hell I never where any shoes that have backs on them, I do not even like shoes

Imagine
07-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Actually.. It is legal to drive barefoot in Ohio, they just recommend that you don't. I rarely wear sandals, unless I slip them on after swimming/sports/etc and I HATE flip flops, they drive me crazy.

Black Yaris
07-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Actually.. It is legal to drive barefoot in Ohio, they just recommend that you don't. I rarely wear sandals, unless I slip them on after swimming/sports/etc and I HATE flip flops, they drive me crazy.

flip flops :thumbdown: sandals :thumbup:

thatboyjer
07-23-2007, 05:07 PM
i found vans to be the best fit for me ;D the whole barefoot thing cramps the arch on my foot sometimes, damn my high arched foot.

i grinded 2nd coming in from first today driving in the neighborhood to pick up my friend :[

once again i was barefoot ARRRGHHH, but i didn't stall out so maybe i'm getting better with the whole no shoes thing. I really need to kick that habit of running out the door with no shoes :iono:

DMart
07-23-2007, 07:59 PM
i drive barefoot all the time with no problem...but i've been driving manual cars forever, one problem tho is that the clutch pedal burns the bottom of my foot, its not hot tho :iono:

ALY
07-24-2007, 02:57 AM
I am a chronic barefoot manual driver. In the summer I kick my sandals under my seat. Am I weird?

Nope... I do the same.

sdmf
07-24-2007, 05:38 AM
i have never driven barefoot, i drive in flip flops, sandals, boots and sneakers, i find skater shoes to be the best when i drive, i used to rock vans but i love my dc shoes, i heard piloti's are the best shoe to use when driving, i may try out a pair.

myt
07-24-2007, 07:01 AM
My problem is sort of the opposite. I have a pair of Lebron's where I can't feel anything through so sole, so I find myself giving too much gas more often than not in between shifts...revving to high heaven. But I have the best feel in a pair of sandals...I might have the pull the old Mr. Rogers shoe switcheroo at work. LOL

MYT

kurokoma-kun
07-24-2007, 09:06 AM
puma speed cats :headbang:

or lots of styles of water shoes--thin soles seem to be the key for me

ChinoCharles
07-24-2007, 01:41 PM
I almost bought the Ferrari edition Puma's at Nordstroms in Chicago not too long ago. They ran $200 or something silly like that... but they were so sexy... :biggrin:

Devine
07-24-2007, 08:46 PM
All you boys need to hush....I wear heels to work.....If I can drive my MT with heels, you all can definatly do it in sandals or flip flops :)

thatboyjer
07-24-2007, 11:55 PM
let me know how much will your clutch replacement cost you :tongue:

HAHAHA that was rather hilarious. :bellyroll: but all in good fun i'm sure

anyways i drove again without shoes AND DIDN'T STALL, i think i'm getting the hang of it, it does however rub my foot a little too hard cause i'm sliding against my foot and mostly using my ankle rather than holding it down and lifting my foot up. You can really feel the clutch without any shoes on its amazing.

Its pretty cool cause i think if you get used to it you can find the threshold alot easier and see just how little gas you can input and still make your car run. I've been trying this for awhile and my tank is still almost full (one bar off the digital dealy) and i've gone around 120 miles (not highway)

or is this normal for our amazing fuel economy? :D

eTiMaGo
07-25-2007, 12:51 PM
When I first got the car I used to wear pretty huge Oakley special ops style shoes with thick, wide soles. Not at all ideal as I would heel-toe all the time, without even wanting to :biggrin:

Then I soon thereafter got a pair of plain old Converse canvas shoes, they were so much better. But not really comfortable for wearing on a daily basis. So now I have some generic adidas running shoes, very comfortable and just fine for driving... But I did see some bespoke Oakley racing boots in a shop here and boy are they sexy... :drool:

I could never get used to driving in flip-flops, I'd have to take them off and go barefoot, but I don't really like that either :laugh:

naossoan
07-29-2007, 06:04 AM
There's a reason why the driver's ed book says to always wear shoes while driving :)

As for the grinding, as far as I know (and by all means I'm no car expert) from reading and talking to some other friends of minethat are more car educated. Grinding a gear here or there isn't going to cause MAJOR problems. I've grinded fourth a few times coming out of Neutral on the highway (I coast down hills whenever possible) by not pushing the clutch in enough - and my fourth gear still works fine. Though I've got less than 4000k on my car.

And as for the fuel economy mine goes roughly like this after a fill up:

First bar goes away around 150km
Second par goes away after 200k
half a tank after 350
7th bar seems to last forever
then last bar starts flashin when i have about 6 litres left in the tank (every time I fill up when that bar is flashing I put about 36 litres in)

Fuel guages are not really that accurate IMO - They havn't been in any of the cars I've owned. I don't even bother anymore I just wait for the last bar to flash - then drive to work another 3 days then fill up :)

As for an example on the 7th bar I drove from my parent's house to my house which is about 178 km before last bar was flashing.

grampi
07-29-2007, 09:09 AM
let me know how much will your clutch replacement cost you :tongue:

About 1/3 as much as it'll cost to have the auto tranny rebuilt, and it won't be required as often.

grampi
07-29-2007, 11:51 AM
i drive stick BTW

Oh, okay. That last post of yours make it sound as though you had an auto.

thatboyjer
07-30-2007, 12:25 AM
There's a reason why the driver's ed book says to always wear shoes while driving :)

As for the grinding, as far as I know (and by all means I'm no car expert) from reading and talking to some other friends of minethat are more car educated. Grinding a gear here or there isn't going to cause MAJOR problems. I've grinded fourth a few times coming out of Neutral on the highway (I coast down hills whenever possible) by not pushing the clutch in enough - and my fourth gear still works fine. Though I've got less than 4000k on my car.

And as for the fuel economy mine goes roughly like this after a fill up:

First bar goes away around 150km
Second par goes away after 200k
half a tank after 350
7th bar seems to last forever
then last bar starts flashin when i have about 6 litres left in the tank (every time I fill up when that bar is flashing I put about 36 litres in)

Fuel guages are not really that accurate IMO - They havn't been in any of the cars I've owned. I don't even bother anymore I just wait for the last bar to flash - then drive to work another 3 days then fill up :)

As for an example on the 7th bar I drove from my parent's house to my house which is about 178 km before last bar was flashing.

lol its funny how its only till now my original question had gotten answered. we all got so off topic on our own deal, goddamn i love this forum.

Black Yaris
07-30-2007, 01:38 AM
everyone just needs to go buy the NST SSK and all your shifting problems will go away :biggrin:

Devine
07-30-2007, 07:46 PM
stick shift and heels dont really mix especially when the ladies love their shoes they dont want to brake the heel so they dont clutch all the way thats what i meant.

I don't rock the stripper shoes yo... :)

I can handle my clutch and brake just fine with them....you should try sometime!

c'mon ... give in to your internal girlie curiosities...slap on those 4 " heels and have fun!

BTW...post pics...

:laugh:

<<D>>