PDA

View Full Version : Follow up on roof top carrier.......

westyaris2
07-31-2007, 01:37 PM
I went on a camping trip with family last weekend. I loaded up the roof top carrier, had three bikes on the hitch rack, then had myself, my wife, my 10 yr old step son, and my 7mos old son. Below is what the car looked like loaded up. I still got 30+mpg. :thumbup:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/images/funkygarage/433/Chimney%20Rock%20July%2028,%202007%20086.jpg

nick1983
07-31-2007, 01:54 PM
:needpics:

Oops, nevermind I wasn't looking :d

jdium
07-31-2007, 02:59 PM
:iono:

I see a pic...

redyaris
07-31-2007, 04:04 PM
What rack is this? Let me guess, it required drilling into the roof.

westyaris2
07-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Everyone else sees the pic right? :confused: It is the black Yaris with a roof top carrier and bike rack on the back that is just under the writing above.
Yes it requires drilling, it is an oem style from jcwhitney.com, with a thule carrier.

brickhardmeat
07-31-2007, 08:05 PM
jc whitney:headbang:

damn that's a lot of bikes, I think I count three, wait let me count again 1,2,3

RShatchback
07-31-2007, 11:56 PM
Damn, why a yaris and not a small SUV? I hate even having someone sit in the passenger seat of my car cause it feels so much slower, No one has ever sat in the backseat of my car since i bought it - its forbidden!

Seriously though - did that car drag serious ass with all the weight?

redyaris
08-01-2007, 11:04 AM
http://www.nirvanastudio.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/04/overloaded-car.jpg

westyaris2
08-01-2007, 10:00 PM
It did not drag that bad. It went along quite well. I have a Fujita CAI and a megan axle back, not that they make an insane difference. I was not racing I was going out for a weekend with my family. Find a small suv that gets that good of gas mileage when you load it up. Not to mention a suv with a payment as afordable as the yaris car payment. With all that money I am saving I can afford to do things with my family almost every weekend. I want my kids to see things besides how to waste money living the "american life."

westyaris2
08-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Yes it was three bikes, two adult, one kids, and in the carrier there is a trailer for my 7mos old.

Mead
08-01-2007, 10:33 PM
With all that money I am saving I can afford to do things with my family almost every weekend. I want my kids to see things besides how to waste money living the "american life."

:thumbsup: :w00t:

brickhardmeat
08-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I really think it is awesome it shows what a versatile little car we have. It looks really euro too when it has the roof rack and the bikes and stuff.:wink:

redyaris
08-02-2007, 05:30 PM
It did not drag that bad. It went along quite well. I have a Fujita CAI and a megan axle back, not that they make an insane difference. I was not racing I was going out for a weekend with my family. Find a small suv that gets that good of gas mileage when you load it up. Not to mention a suv with a payment as afordable as the yaris car payment. With all that money I am saving I can afford to do things with my family almost every weekend. I want my kids to see things besides how to waste money living the "american life."

Can you better define the 'american life'? Im confused. Btw, i have 'one kids' too.

redyaris
08-02-2007, 05:32 PM
and in the carrier there is a trailer for my 7mos old.

Translation please. I took this to mean your 7month old is placed in a trailer behind the Yaris.

Canuck
08-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Translation please. I took this to mean your 7month old is placed in a trailer behind the Yaris.

That's just wrong. Kids should never be towed behind a car.

Kids should be duct taped to the roof.:biggrin:

lostmind
08-02-2007, 07:07 PM
I packed up my yaris with the rear seat half folded down, put three guys in it (including myself) and all of our camping gear for 6 days and drove 689km before I needed to fill it up.

So, you can definitely load up the yaris and take it somewhere.

I think the OP's definition of american life is to buy more then you can afford... drive a big SUV and live in a big house that you don't need just so you can look as cool as your neighbours.

At least, that's my take on it...

Of course, I have a nice house, an suv (rav4) and a sports car... but I only have a mortgage! And no kids... but one dog... well, he's a mini dachshund, dunno if he counts as a whole dog...

westyaris2
08-02-2007, 09:22 PM
I have two kids, one step son who is 10, and one 7 mos old of my own. The ten year old rides one of the bikes on the bike rack. My 7mos old rides in a trailer that hooks onto my bicycle, that trailer folds up and fits in the carrier that is on the roof. Both kids ride in the car when we are using the car.

Lostmind somes up what i meant by "american life" pretty well. I think far too many people in this country are wrapped up in trying to look like they have something they don't have. I would rather have a family that has fun than one that has "stuff" we really could not afford in the first place.

brickhardmeat
08-02-2007, 09:26 PM
well I think the yaris is cool stuff:thumbsup:

also it is good that you are living an active lifestyle and seeing that your kids are active too

this isn't typical american life:laugh: