PDA

View Full Version : Someone threw a lit firecracker in...

Astroman
07-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Yeah, my car. I was inside my work when a couple came in and said there was smoke coming out of a gray car. One of my coworkers went outside, and ran back inside telling me my car is on fire. I go outside to check it out and behind the driver's seat on the floorboard there is a fire. I run back inside with a couple of guys I work with, get a bucket of water and put the fire out. My windows were down and someone threw a huge mo-fo firecracker in the car. I have burn marks on the headliner, almost every single piece of plastic looks like someone was trying to arc weld, and I have a huge hole on the carpet behind my seat. It burnt through my TRD hat, floormat, carpet, and burnt some of the side panel plastic and the lower part of the rear seat. Even the cargo cover in back suffered damage. My roommate has pictures on his cell phone so as soon as I can I will post pics. I am super pissed right now and just wanna :cry:. Nobody saw who did it. The smoke smell is horrible and the explosions from the fireworks left everything with a white film over it as well as the remains of the firework itself. Since the '08 Yaris Sport liftback will be coming out in a few weeks, I am going to work with my insurance and the dealership to see if I can get my car traded in. It already wasn't the same after the accident, now the smoke smell will never get out. I'm hoping I can just yank all my perf. parts off and put them on a trade. This just sucks so bad. I left my car at the dealership for tonight. There was one guy left who I talked to. They are going to get me a estimate and I'm going to go from there. Again, sorry I don't have any pics right now, but I will post as soon as I can. :brokenheart: I have a $500 ins. deductible, but my manager called our boss and they might pay that, here's hoping...
EDIT: Got the damage, $7,859.32. Scroll down for pics.

hans_fh
07-31-2007, 11:44 PM
Yeah, my car. I was inside my work when a couple came in and said there was smoke coming out of a gray car. One of my coworkers went outside, and ran back inside telling me my car is on fire. I go outside to check it out and behind the driver's seat on the floorboard there is a fire. I run back inside with a couple of guys I work with, get a bucket of water and put the fire out. My windows were down and someone threw a huge mo-fo firecracker in the car. I have burn marks on the headliner, almost every single piece of plastic looks like someone was trying to arc weld, and I have a huge hole on the carpet behind my seat. It burnt through my TRD hat, floormat, carpet, and burnt some of the side panel plastic and the lower part of the rear seat. Even the cargo cover in back suffered damage. My roommate has pictures on his cell phone so as soon as I can I will post pics. I am super pissed right now and just wanna :cry:. Nobody saw who did it. The smoke smell is horrible and the explosions from the fireworks left everything with a white film over it as well as the remains of the firework itself. Since the '08 Yaris Sport liftback will be coming out in a few weeks, I am going to work with my insurance and the dealership to see if I can get my car traded in. It already wasn't the same after the accident, now the smoke smell will never get out. I'm hoping I can just yank all my perf. parts off and put them on a trade. This just sucks so bad. I left my car at the dealership for tonight. There was one guy left who I talked to. They are going to get me a estimate and I'm going to go from there. Again, sorry I don't have any pics right now, but I will post as soon as I can. :brokenheart: I have a $500 ins. deductible, but my manager called our boss and they might pay that, here's hoping...

I'm sorry to hear that man.

tacsniper
07-31-2007, 11:45 PM
blimey... hope your insurance convers the damage

Astroman
07-31-2007, 11:47 PM
They will, but I have to pay a $500 deductible. I'm hoping to work something out so I can just trade the thing in and get the '08 liftback sport manual.

eTiMaGo
08-01-2007, 04:12 AM
That's just screwed up, don't people have any respect of others' property?

Do you think maybe that's what happened to your LeBaron? (that was your car that burned up, right?) Maybe someone has a grudge against you, who knows...

brickhardmeat
08-01-2007, 07:23 AM
oh, yeah the lebaron burnt up to

maybe chinese mafia:laugh:

Black Yaris
08-01-2007, 07:59 AM
I would be trying to make your work pay your deductable, because employees that were on the clock caused damage to your car, therefor they are responcable.... they have no way around that.... they actaully should pay for they whole thing for that reason.... but because you work there also I would only push for the deductable being paid

brickhardmeat
08-01-2007, 08:14 AM
my golf got trashed at work and my company did nothing for me:cry:

nqd
08-01-2007, 08:23 AM
my previous car got broken into at work and they didnt do anything as well....a$$holes....good thing i quit...haha....

anyways...do u always leave your windows down for that long?? 8 hr shifts?

kurokoma-kun
08-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Unbelievable! Dayam, if your car's not safe at work... but hopefully you will showing off you new 08 soon, good luck!

death is my gift
08-01-2007, 09:04 AM
This further proves my point that people are fucking assholes. Who the fuck decides, "Hmm, I think I'll throw a lit firecracker in this new car?" I hope the fucker who did it reaps what he sowed and his fucking house burns down. (Without possible wife/husband, children and pets inside). What a fucking douche.

sorry man. I would be SO mfing pissed off, as I'm sure you are.

To quote Vincent Vega, "It would have been worth him doing it just so I could catch him doing it."

Thirty-Nine
08-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Holy crap man, I'm sorry to hear this. This kinda stuff makes me livid. Who the hell does this kind of thing? Hopefully your insurance company helps you out. Good luck!

redyaris
08-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Damn Astro this sucks. You definitely have a pyro situation following you.

Astroman
08-01-2007, 11:27 AM
I have two jobs, the "arson" happened at job #2. My friends and family are joking I should just ride a bike from now on. Yeah fire and cars seems to be my thing (3rd car, 4th fire). And yes, I was the Burnt Baron guy. There has been a string of arsons around here. There was one not to long ago where a van that was set fire and burnt a 100 year old apartment building killing two people inside. I hope there will be a silver lining to all this, I've pretty much made up my mind to get that '08 sport liftback. Thankfully I will be able to reuse my aftermarket parts as they are all bolt-on stuff and should work on the '08. My insurance will cover this (so glad I have comprehensive on this car) and job #2 should be paying my deductible. I'm expecting a estimate of the damage later today. Thanks for all the support guys & gals, I'd sure love to kick some ass right now on those punks :slice:

ChinoCharles
08-01-2007, 11:28 AM
If you find them, seek the death penalty. Yarii are people too!

ALY
08-01-2007, 11:34 AM
That sux big time. At least the insurance company and your employer are stepping up for you.

nsmitchell
08-01-2007, 12:23 PM
That truly sucks! I hope everything works out and you get the '08 sport.

Next time you need a fire extinguisher attached to your right front windshield pillar! hehe

eTiMaGo
08-01-2007, 12:24 PM
To quote Vincent Vega, "It would have been worth him doing it just so I could catch him doing it."

To quote him once again, "What's more chickenshit than fucking with a man's automobile? I mean, don't fuck with another man's vehicle."

Simple rules to live by...

Astroman
08-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Here are the pics! Enjoy :cry:\
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2419000-2419999/2419954_34_full.jpghttp://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2419000-2419999/2419954_35_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2419000-2419999/2419954_36_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2419000-2419999/2419954_37_full.jpg
This is right behind the driver's seat.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2419000-2419999/2419954_38_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2419000-2419999/2419954_39_full.jpg
Bottom part of rear seat.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2419000-2419999/2419954_40_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2419000-2419999/2419954_41_full.jpgHeadliner

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/2419000-2419999/2419954_42_full.jpg

brickhardmeat
08-01-2007, 04:16 PM
oh, that's fucked!:mad:

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
08-01-2007, 04:32 PM
wow i guess someone doesn't like you.......

Spades
08-01-2007, 04:40 PM
HOLY S--T! thats messed up...i was furious when someone did a drive by paint balling of one of my previous cars. thats beyond messed up...

acrbill
08-01-2007, 04:48 PM
That sucks man. Hopefully you are able to turn the situation around and get into an 08.

Astroman
08-01-2007, 04:50 PM
That is what I'm hoping. I see a yaris sport liftback in my future... :biggrin:
The dealership just called me, the estimate they came up with was $7,859.32. That is almost $3,000 more damage than what the accident total was. If you add the two together that comes to almost what I paid for the car.

Shijima
08-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Ya, you think after that much damage, they would just write her off.

hopefully youll be sitting in an 08 after this mess.

ALY
08-02-2007, 03:38 AM
Ya, you think after that much damage, they would just write her off.

hopefully youll be sitting in an 08 after this mess.

That would only make sense. But who knows what the insurance company will do. Try and insist on a write off.

Kaotic Lazagna
08-02-2007, 03:51 AM
that is straight up, F-ed up. those people need to go to h*ll.

Rizzo
08-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Oh, that's so awful :(

Astroman
08-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah, it's something I hope NO ONE on here ever has to go through. :frown:

nsmitchell
08-03-2007, 08:47 AM
They need to total that thing! The insurance company can sell it for parts. Most mechanical parts are still perfect.

Shijima
08-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Back in the day with the MK2 Jetta/Golf's With Recaro seats in them, If the recaros were stolen or damaged, the car was considered a write off no matter what damage was done to the rest of the car.

Astroman
08-03-2007, 07:29 PM
The stupid insurance adjuster thinks it just needs a interior detail. :mad: I'll know more monday, still heartbroken :brokenheart:

brickhardmeat
08-03-2007, 07:36 PM
an interior detail!?!?!

the thing at the very least needs an interior replacement

shit what insurance company are you with?

Thotprawsis
08-03-2007, 09:24 PM
I bet if it was the adjuster's brand new car it would need more than an interior detail! I hope this works out ok for you. Really sorry to hear about it. Best of Luck!!!

Edd
08-03-2007, 09:48 PM
It just goes to show that the scum of society don't care how many thousands of dollars they cost someone ELSE, just to have 30 seconds of laughter with their dropkick friends. :frown:
I really hope that your insurance will help you out here and get you a brand new sporty Yaris. :smile:

Motorhead6T5
08-04-2007, 02:59 AM
The stupid insurance adjuster thinks it just needs a interior detail. :mad: I'll know more monday, still heartbroken :brokenheart:The adjuster is going to be a POS,they always are.

Vanderkitten
08-04-2007, 03:06 AM
That kind of crap pisses me off and is exactly the kind of crap that is bringing this country down. Sorry for your loss and it sounds like it will be a gain. I would push for a total on the car because of the fire, possible electrical damage from the heat, etc.

Imagine
08-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Wow man, thats awful.. Sorry to hear about your Yaris, I hope everything works out for you. You should have just let that sucker burn!

sherryberry
08-06-2007, 02:21 PM
holy cow i just saw this thread. that is MESSED UP! astroman, you ever think about moving? heh.

Geez, i hope you get yourself an '08 now instead. that thing is done done done

Yaris Revenge
08-06-2007, 02:43 PM
The stupid insurance adjuster thinks it just needs a interior detail. :mad: I'll know more monday, still heartbroken :brokenheart:

That dude is outta' his F'n mind! Somehow I can't see fabric and plastic magically reappearing when you run an Armor All-laden rag across it. :bs:

What a retard. However, the adjuster just does the initial quote. Once the dealer gets involved, they can give the insurance company a much more accurate quote. Maybe then you'll get it totaled, once the insurance guys find out how much it'll really cost to put everything back right.

~YR

cleong
08-06-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't know why Yarii get abused like that. They don't look flashy or showy, they look cute in fact, yet Astroman got his burnt. I've had teabags and chicken bones thrown at my car too.

Then someone put a bunch of long screws into my rear wheel wells, and one of them punctured my tire......

Sorry sods should just buy a Yaris instead of trying to deprive other people of theirs!

Chris07LB
08-07-2007, 08:51 AM
someone needs a beat down! :thumbdown:

eTiMaGo
08-07-2007, 09:08 AM
I don't know why Yarii get abused like that. They don't look flashy or showy, they look cute in fact, yet Astroman got his burnt. I've had teabags and chicken bones thrown at my car too.

Then someone put a bunch of long screws into my rear wheel wells, and one of them punctured my tire......

Sorry sods should just buy a Yaris instead of trying to deprive other people of theirs!

Damn, people get away with that in Singapore of all places???

Worst vandalism on my car is that someone stole my chrome valve stem caps, when I was away for a week...

I feel sorry for those people though... they just wish they had the taste we have, and their limited brain function makes them lash out like that...

Safariworld
08-07-2007, 11:50 AM
I just saw this thread. Can't believe the extent that idiots would go for some laughs. I mean, who carries a giant firecracker like that around in the middle of the day? I suppose it was either throw it into the car or shove it up one of their orifices, and they chose the less painful option.

I really hope it works out in your favour, Astroman.

Cleong, whats happening in Singapore? Chicken bones and teabags? Just last week, a friend of mine told me someone stole his crappy bicycle from an MRT station. Kinda shatters my 'safe haven' image of Singapore.

marcus
08-07-2007, 12:28 PM
you should have let it burn so you can just get a new car..deductable would be the same anyways.. with you pourin water in there they might just replaced the damage part..but water will seep into other placed and youll have rust all over with in a year..:frown:

Astroman
08-07-2007, 01:25 PM
I know, I was thinking the same thing. But I wouldn't want it to have burned completely, need to salvage some of those aftermarket parts, but enough to have it totaled. No one I know has ever heard of someone getting fireworks set off in a car, so it came as a complete surprise. I'm paranoid now, even with my GFs pos taurus wagon that I'm forced to drive right now. Even in view I roll the windows up and lock it even if I'm going inside for a minute. Out of all my cars, only a couple had never been vandalized, but my yaris got it the worst. Oh, I got a update finally from the adjuster. He got the price down by getting the dealership to only charge $46/hr labor vs. $70 and he said the detail really helped, but obviously there will be things replaced. The cost came to about $4,900 now, and they want to fix it (still thinking about that '08 though). the passenger seats are getting replaced as well as the carpet, headliner, plastic trim that melted in the fire, driver's speaker and some other crap. He said I can pickup my car now if I wanted and the dealership will call when all the parts are in, and I won't have to pay the $500 deductible until all work is completed, so I'm going to try and get it back today as the MPG of the taurus wagon sucks horribly compared to my yaris. Thankfully my work (the PT job at Papa John's) will be reimbursing me for the deductible. I will try to get some pictures up of the damage after the cleaning. Still bummed horribly. Hopefully the new NST pulley set that will be coming out soon will lift my spirits. :cry:

tacsniper
08-07-2007, 02:05 PM
I know, I was thinking the same thing. But I wouldn't want it to have burned completely, need to salvage some of those aftermarket parts, but enough to have it totaled. No one I know has ever heard of someone getting fireworks set off in a car, so it came as a complete surprise. I'm paranoid now, even with my GFs pos taurus wagon that I'm forced to drive right now. Even in view I roll the windows up and lock it even if I'm going inside for a minute. Out of all my cars, only a couple had never been vandalized, but my yaris got it the worst. Oh, I got a update finally from the adjuster. He got the price down by getting the dealership to only charge $46/hr labor vs. $70 and he said the detail really helped, but obviously there will be things replaced. The cost came to about $4,900 now, and they want to fix it (still thinking about that '08 though). the passenger seats are getting replaced as well as the carpet, headliner, plastic trim that melted in the fire, driver's speaker and some other crap. He said I can pickup my car now if I wanted and the dealership will call when all the parts are in, and I won't have to pay the $500 deductible until all work is completed, so I'm going to try and get it back today as the MPG of the taurus wagon sucks horribly compared to my yaris. Thankfully my work (the PT job at Papa John's) will be reimbursing me for the deductible. I will try to get some pictures up of the damage after the cleaning. Still bummed horribly. Hopefully the new NST pulley set that will be coming out soon will lift my spirits. :cry:

fixing that thing!!!??? Whats the point? Should of just write it off and get you a 08!

cleong
08-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Damn, people get away with that in Singapore of all places???

Worst vandalism on my car is that someone stole my chrome valve stem caps, when I was away for a week...

I feel sorry for those people though... they just wish they had the taste we have, and their limited brain function makes them lash out like that...

Cleong, whats happening in Singapore? Chicken bones and teabags? Just last week, a friend of mine told me someone stole his crappy bicycle from an MRT station. Kinda shatters my 'safe haven' image of Singapore.

Low crime doesn't mean no crime, and the things that happened to me are so petty and trivial, I'd feel silly going to the cops to report it.

I'd do the best I can to protect my car, but some things are unavoidable and just part and parcel of car ownership.