PDA

View Full Version : Am I calculating MPG correctly?

YarisBlazer
08-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Ok, this is the second time I've tried to figure out my MPG; I want to make sure I am doing this right; this is how I calculate it:

Odometer reading now minus odomter reading at last fill-up divided by amount of gas I put in tank at this fill-up

Of course I always fill it all the way to full

I just filled up so today's equation is:

2623 (Odometer reading now at fill-up)
- 2262 (Reading at last fill-up)
____
361 divided by 11.551 gallons = 31.252 MPG

Is this right? I am doing mostly city driving so I would like to get this up to at last 36 MPG if I can; I'm in Florida so must run the A/C while driving.

Thanks for any input; my last reading was 32 MPG.

xed
08-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Yep you got it. :thumbup:

petesimac
08-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Only thing is, the tank only has a capacity of 11.5 gallons; how did you cram in more? Are you running the car all the way until it is on fumes? If so, that could be part of the problem. I've heard of Yari that run out of gas (or perhaps come close) needing to be reset afterwards. I fill up as soon as the second to last bar disappears, leaving the one, flashing bar. At this point, my tank can only take just under 10 gallons to fill it up again.

Oh, and instead of having to recalculate your miles, use your trip odometer instead. Everytime you fill up, press and hold the little black button near the trip odometer meeting until it goes back to 0; that'll leave you with one less equation to complete.

swng
08-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Please refer to Post #1350 of the Fuel Economy Thread here for some useful mpg calculators:http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38&page=90
There is another one in Post #1422 of the same thread.
:smile:

sherryberry
08-09-2007, 11:11 PM
i'm confused as how you got that many gallons of gas into that gas tank as well. and like petesimac says, use your odometer. that's what it's there for. I use trip A to calculate MPG and trip B to calculate next oil change :smile:

seanele
08-09-2007, 11:16 PM
Ok, this is the second time I've tried to figure out my MPG; I want to make sure I am doing this right; this is how I calculate it:

Odometer reading now minus odomter reading at last fill-up divided by amount of gas I put in tank at this fill-up

____

Is this right? I am doing mostly city driving so I would like to get this up to at last 36 MPG if I can; I'm in Florida so must run the A/C while driving.

great..my brain stuck at the dividing part..:redface:
oh whatever!!
i know i did one and a half gallon from El Monte to Victorville.
and..when coming back, a little less than that..., damn i love my Yaris!!

swng
08-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Re Posts #1,3, and 5 above:
My practical experience is if you ignore the click of the nozzle and try hard to overfill, it is possible to "squeeze" more than the max volume specified in the user manual into the tank. It may not be advisable to do so though. Please see:http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/

YarisBlazer
08-09-2007, 11:20 PM
My last bar was flashing; my gas recept said I put in 11.551 gallons; I dont know how it happened either; maybe I have a big tank :smile: ?

swng
08-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Some useful experience shared here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1971&highlight=gas+tank+capacity
Not every post there is relevant to the present topic though:smile:.

Pars
08-10-2007, 07:16 AM
My last bar was flashing; my gas recept said I put in 11.551 gallons; I dont know how it happened either; maybe I have a big tank :smile: ?

Try another gas station, perhaps their pumps are better calibrated.

sherryberry
08-10-2007, 10:39 AM
wow i didn't know that some gas stations does that to rip people off. I don't think i've had an issue where the amount of gas i put in is more than the amount of the tank.

petesimac
08-10-2007, 11:25 AM

How long had it been flashing? If it had just started to flash, there's no way you put over 11.5 gallons in. I second the suggestion to try a different gas station, and then try to use that station from then on. Plus, find a way to fill up to the exact level each time. For instance, when I fill up, as soon as I get to the 9 gallon mark I slow the pump down to ensure that it fills up to the click without clicking prematurely due to splash or foam. I would also argue against filling past the click, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is overspill which could damage your paint as well as the environment.

WRBlue
08-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Try another gas station, perhaps their pumps are better calibrated.

0.05 G takes up 11.5 in^3.
The chances a gas station will take a chance with a less than 0.5% overcharge - because the pumps are checked often by state agencies for calibration - are much much smaller than Toyota not making the tank EXACTLY 11.5g... Especially when gas stations make next to no profit on the fuel they sell...

nsmitchell
08-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Re Posts #1,3, and 5 above:
My practical experience is if you ignore the click of the nozzle and try hard to overfill, it is possible to "squeeze" more than the max volume specified in the user manual into the tank. It may not be advisable to do so though. Please see:http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/

Thank you! DON'T TOP OFF!

:SherryBerry, you have an indicator light (MainT Req) that tells you when to change the oil. Every 5000 miles. You just reset it. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=111309&postcount=5

sherryberry
08-10-2007, 12:38 PM
oh i know the indicator light is there. I just like to look at the miles as well and it gives me an idea that it's coming up soon.

churp
08-10-2007, 01:06 PM
About 3-5 years ago a few gas stations were found to have black market chips in their pumps (I believe Cali but not sure??) that would show more gas than pumped, only between the full gallon divisions (say 5.4 gallons actual instead of 5.5 shown on the pump...electronics are wonderful!!!!!). They were getting away with it because the inspectors only checked at the full gallon marks.....has our government changed their inspection techniques...and do the stations know when they'll be inspected? Easy way to make up to an extra 30 cents on a fillup......I'd change gas stations.

Pars
08-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Back in the 80th, I used to notice some very suspicious result from my fill-up. I actually went to complain to the manager on one occasion cause the fill-up was more then my tanks capacity. Back then, most of the cars on the road were these gas guzzling V8 and being a few litre off wasn't a big deal. But I was driving a new 1.6L Toyota and a few Litres would take me to school and back. Since then, I've been very selective about where I go to fill-up.

EggMan
08-11-2007, 10:10 PM
The owners manual (page 296) states 11.1 Gal capacity for my Liftback.

Pars
08-12-2007, 11:17 AM
The owners manual (page 296) states 11.1 Gal capacity for my Liftback.

I filled up 11gal (42 Litre) on one occasion (Hatchback, not Sedan). But I did about 20 miles while the gas gage was into the hyper flash mode.

My normal fill-up is usually done when the gas gage goes into the normal flashing mode and the Yaris will take about 10gal (38L) to fill.

gm830
08-12-2007, 04:29 PM

____

no one seems to have commented on it, but isn't 32mpg lower than expected for this car?? =/

petesimac
08-12-2007, 07:01 PM
It's just a tad low, but the info is incomplete; I simply cannot believe that he was able to put over 11.5 gallons in the tank -- it's skewed.

Violin
08-12-2007, 10:41 PM
The tank may hold 11.1 gallons but the filler tube holds some volume too. 11.55 gallons had to be pretty close to empty. I did 11.5 gallons once.

YarisBlazer
08-18-2007, 12:23 AM
I'm the original poster; yes I did put 11.55 gallons in; my new question is how can i get my MPG to be better than 32 MPG ? I have to run the A/C as I'm in Florida; I try not to hit the gas too much; dont speed; about 80% city/20% highway driving; thanks for any input guys :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

BailOut
08-18-2007, 01:44 AM
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5979

YarisBlazer
08-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the great info !:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: