PDA

View Full Version : Seriously considering a Yaris

Sweet Mercury
08-22-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm about to take on the incredible task of buying my first new car, and I'm really into the Yaris Liftback (on paper).

Everything looks good: it's tiny, pompously good on gas, and made by a brand that I have long associated with quality and durability. Oh, and did I mention extremely inexpensive?

However, I'm having extreme difficulty finding a 5-speed manual transmission LB within 100 miles of me to test drive.

The only recourse I can really see in getting a feel for the car before I buy it is to test drive the Yaris Sedan, of which my local dealership has a manual-trans in stock. Then of course the dealer can go through the trouble of locating a Liftback for me.

My question to you Yaris fans is: will I get a good idea of the feel of the Liftback if I test the Sedan? Will the handling be similar, what about the interior feel? Or is it too different a car to compare?

celica414
08-22-2007, 07:48 PM
maybe someone local from NJ will let you drive there's, i'd pose the question in the regional section...... i too am trying to track down a LB yaris in NY (it's not such an easy task i'm learning)

bnther36
08-22-2007, 08:02 PM
If you are considering buying a Yaris be sure and check out Carmax the Baltimore\DC branch. Their selection is gia-normous and their prices were great. I live in Mich and even with the purchase of 2 one-way tickets, I saved about $600 bucks and they had EXACTLY the car I wanted. My local dealer had 3 to choose from while Carmax had 61.

I don't know if the 08's are out yet or not. I checked tonight and they're showing 67 08 Corolla's; but only 25 07 Yaris (any idea what the plural of Yaris would be?). It may be the end of the season for the 07's.

At any rate, be sure and do your shopping.

celica414
08-22-2007, 08:09 PM
If you are considering buying a Yaris be sure and check out Carmax the Baltimore\DC branch. Their selection is gia-normous and their prices were great. I live in Mich and even with the purchase of 2 one-way tickets, I saved about $600 bucks and they had EXACTLY the car I wanted. My local dealer had 3 to choose from while Carmax had 61.

I don't know if the 08's are out yet or not. I checked tonight and they're showing 67 08 Corolla's; but only 25 07 Yaris (any idea what the plural of Yaris would be?). It may be the end of the season for the 07's.

yeah, but unfortunately they are all sedans:cry:

Sweet Mercury
08-22-2007, 08:31 PM

I just checked, they only had sedans in stock as well.

I'm totally new to the new car market, can I order one through a dealer?

xed
08-22-2007, 08:34 PM
... However, I'm having extreme difficulty finding a 5-speed manual transmission LB within 100 miles of me to test drive. ...

My guess is that (like me) you're caught in the 2007 - 2008 gap. The dealers are in the process of dumping all the 07's and the 08's haven't hit the lots yet so unless there's a dealer who still has a manual LB 07 on the lot you're out of luck until the 08's show up.

The good news is that the 08's are supposed to be on the lot "very soon" but basically you're stuck in limbo until then.

If it makes you feel any better I'm in the same position. I plan to grab an 08 but I haven't had the chance to drive a manual LB yet so I'm stuck waiting for one to come onto my local dealer's lot.

black2yaris
08-22-2007, 08:38 PM
sedans are not selling , The Hot ticket is the lift back , here in SF bay area they can't keep them on the lot for more than a day . I'd wait till the 08's hit the market which is weeks away . what i did was check what was on the order for the local dealers to find exactly what i wanted as in
Blk color,auto,ABS,side curtain airbags , power pkg ,alloy wheels,fog's

any good dealer will let you know what they are getting in their allocation , as they are soo popular you can't order one from Japan ,but you can find out what's on the boat for each dealer &&&& don't let a dealer say he can order one with a deposit , he's shafting you ! find the car before it arrives ,get the Vin# then give them a deposit with the Vin # in writing as the car your gonna get . don't let anyone bait & switch you

eTiMaGo
08-22-2007, 09:21 PM
I suppose you could try to test drive the sedan manual to get an idea of the transmission, and then an auto LB to get an idea of the car itself?

Sweet Mercury
08-22-2007, 10:11 PM
My guess is that (like me) you're caught in the 2007 - 2008 gap. The dealers are in the process of dumping all the 07's and the 08's haven't hit the lots yet so unless there's a dealer who still has a manual LB 07 on the lot you're out of luck until the 08's show up.

The good news is that the 08's are supposed to be on the lot "very soon" but basically you're stuck in limbo until then.

If it makes you feel any better I'm in the same position. I plan to grab an 08 but I haven't had the chance to drive a manual LB yet so I'm stuck waiting for one to come onto my local dealer's lot.

Are there any threads or outside websites about the features of the '08 model coming out? I'm kinda sketchy about the option packages on the '07, will there be any changes for the '08?

sedans are not selling , The Hot ticket is the lift back , here in SF bay area they can't keep them on the lot for more than a day . I'd wait till the 08's hit the market which is weeks away . what i did was check what was on the order for the local dealers to find exactly what i wanted as in
Blk color,auto,ABS,side curtain airbags , power pkg ,alloy wheels,fog's

I've seen a few sedans on the road. They are nice, but I'd rather have the LB. (plus, the sedan is JUST out of how much I want to spend.)

kimona
08-22-2007, 10:58 PM
I suppose you could try to test drive the sedan manual to get an idea of the transmission, and then an auto LB to get an idea of the car itself?

Well, under the circumstances, that's just about the best idea!

360cubes
08-22-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm interested (more or less the wife is) in purchasing a Yaris. We're still deciding on the sedan or LB. I prefer the sedan for better looks. Wife thinks the LB is 'cuter' but I don't buy a vehicle for cuteness! A fully loaded LB RS costs over $1K more than a Sedan in same configuration. No doubt that it'll make a fine second vehicle, but being a fan of V8's and after market accessories it should be interesting what comes out in the next while. Maybe I'll go with the LB and convert it after the warranty is out to a rwd, mid engine V8! :headbang: Then it'll only seat two...decisions....

xed
08-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Are there any threads or outside websites about the features of the '08 model coming out? I'm kinda sketchy about the option packages on the '07, will there be any changes for the '08?

In the US, I think the only change for the LB is the tire pressure monitoring system. Other than that Toyota is putting out a LB "Sport" model which is mainly just cosmetic options. So if you're not wanting a "Sport" model then the only difference for 08 is the tire pressure monitoring system (I think). Too bad Toyota didn't just make a tach standard on all the Yaris models.

YarisTom73
08-23-2007, 10:03 AM
We have LB 5-speeds available here at my dealership, but Johnstown PA may be a bit of a hike..if you want, PM me and perhaps I can hook you up with a salesman who might help accomodate your wishes :iono:

nsmitchell
08-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Do what I did, call the local Toyota Dealership and order one the way you want it. Mine was exactly what I wanted, took about 3 months to get it though. I ordered mine with side airbags and it didn't have them, i was pissed but I bought it anyway.

So LBs are selling better than sedans, huh... :rolleyes: I wonder why that is...

Sweet Mercury
08-24-2007, 08:27 PM
We have LB 5-speeds available here at my dealership, but Johnstown PA may be a bit of a hike..if you want, PM me and perhaps I can hook you up with a salesman who might help accomodate your wishes :iono:

That's about 300 miles from me, unfortunately. Thanks, though.

Jem_hadar
08-25-2007, 12:36 AM
Do what I did, call the local Toyota Dealership and order one the way you want it. Mine was exactly what I wanted, took about 3 months to get it though.

Wow... seriously, you guys have patience...

I bought mine last May (as in 06) when the Yaris craze was at its peak (not that it isnt still going strong now), and here in Canada, the town of Collingwood actually (200 km north of TOronto), and I didnt wait even 3 days.

I told my dealer i wanted the LB, in bayou blue, manaul, and wanted the B Package.

Done, he told me he'd prolly have it in the lot middle of next week. 2 days later, get teh call, the one they had shipped up just arrived off the truck, u can get it tomorrow!

I ordered my Yaris Hatch exactly as wanted in a manual (harder to get, less around) with all the options i wanted and still got it in 3 days.

Cant imagine waiting 3 MONTHS! :frown:

Pookee
08-25-2007, 02:13 AM
I initially wanted a manual LB...
same problem... none available...
but in need of a new car.. I test drove a manual sedan & fell in love it (i'm an ex hatch owner, too)

it depends on your priority though

good luck!

Sweet Mercury
08-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Bump to add a new question:

My local dealer has a an auto-LB in stock (used, without power package, neither of which bothers me). I test drove it and liked it, though it didn't have the peppy feel I've experienced with other Toyota's which had manual transmissions.

They are asking 12,995, and offer to take 100 off (WOW) if I get it by the end of the month (today).

My issue is that I could pay a few hundred more and order the manual with power package. However, the dealership seems averse to special ordering, and gave me a spiel about Toyota an "preference" ordering, and how they didn't know if my car would ever come in.

What are your thoughts on ordering a car brand new? Any good/bad experiences? I know they want to move that automatic before the day is out, so I'm holding out to see if they'll make it worth my while to drive the car that's not exactly what I want—meaning, if they reduce the price even more. Am I asking too much? The price is ok on the automatic, but could it be better? The car has 7500 miles and was used as the dealer's track car.

marcus
08-31-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm about to take on the incredible task of buying my first new car, and I'm really into the Yaris Liftback (on paper).

Everything looks good: it's tiny, pompously good on gas, and made by a brand that I have long associated with quality and durability. Oh, and did I mention extremely inexpensive?

However, I'm having extreme difficulty finding a 5-speed manual transmission LB within 100 miles of me to test drive.

The only recourse I can really see in getting a feel for the car before I buy it is to test drive the Yaris Sedan, of which my local dealership has a manual-trans in stock. Then of course the dealer can go through the trouble of locating a Liftback for me.

My question to you Yaris fans is: will I get a good idea of the feel of the Liftback if I test the Sedan? Will the handling be similar, what about the interior feel? Or is it too different a car to compare?

yah get the yaris theyre fast i burn the bmw 3 series from 0 to 700 kilometers on a straight away..:bellyroll::bellyroll: he ran out of gas...:bellyroll: :laughabove::laughabove: :burnrubber:

Imagine
08-31-2007, 01:16 PM
I test drove a Manual and Auto liftback when I was looking at mine. Power wise was similar, but obviously the manual was a tad better. I just didn't like the fact that it didn't have a tach. I bought it with the intentions of my girlfriend taking over payments, so I bought the auto. They say the new Yaris Liftback sport will have a tach. That would be my preference.