PDA

View Full Version : Low fuel light

falkor_99
04-18-2007, 11:27 AM
As you all know in the Manual for the 2007 Yaris when you need to fill up your tank the last bar on the gauge will start to blink. As you drive futher the bar is spose to flash faster indicating that you need to fill up ASAP! I decided to do an experiment and see how fast it would blink. Right when the last bar started to blink I hit 360 miles, I figured that I had at least another 40 in the tank. But as I was leaving work got on the freeway and started to go home, my brand new yaris died on the freeway.....no gas :cry: . So to let all of you guys know the speed of the gauge didnt really change a whole lot, it might have started blinking a hair faster, but I couldn't really tell. To put it plain and simple I got about 30 more miles when the gauge started to flash. So I hope this all helps everyone out there. And yes my car is doing fine now. :thumbup:

cleong
04-18-2007, 12:04 PM
For the metric guys it means that when the gauge starts flashing you have another 50km worth of fuel. I'm going to take your word for it and not verify it myself.

ChinoCharles
04-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Kind of off topic, but for the record it is much better for your fuel system if you never allow your car to drop below 2 bars.

Yaris Revenge
04-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Kind of off topic, but for the record it is much better for your fuel system if you never allow your car to drop below 2 bars.

Whyfor? :confused:

~YR

St_G
04-18-2007, 07:28 PM
In my experience, when the blinking starts, you've got a gallon left. So 40 miles, unless you're BailOut, is going to be pushing it. The fast blinking starts pretty soon after the slow blinking. At maybe 3/4ths of a gallon? Ish.

hystria
04-18-2007, 07:35 PM

~YR

gaz pump is like a vertical tube with a piston inside, going from the bottom to the top of the fuel tank. the higher the gas level inside, the better the pump gets cooled, the longer it lasts

swng
04-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience.
My personal experience is that about 10-15 km after the last bar has started to blink (in fact it starts to blink as soon as the second last bar goes), it will blink faster, and that has to be regarded as the final warning about fuel shortage. However, to state the obvious, it varies depending on driving style, load, car conditions and the traffic.
It is sound advice to fill up on the disappearance of the third last bar i.e. when only two bars are remaining :smile:.

churp
04-18-2007, 08:59 PM
When I was real stupid in South Dakota and 25 miles from a gas station mine started blinking.....I made it to the station.

Farminator
04-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Good to know about the gas distance when blinking. I was always wondering. Sometimes driving with it on and blinking wondering how far I could get or if there was a gas station near by just in case. I just had one comforting thought that if it did stop close to a station I could push it a lot easier than my prior F150 that I traded in for my liftback. So many things to love about the car and weight is one of them. Thanks for the test and info Falkor.

Black Yaris
04-19-2007, 01:49 AM

~YR

That is just a general rule of thumb not to let your car get below a 1/4 tank, there are many vehicles that if drained below a 1/4 tank on a regular basis have fuel pump problems

eco
04-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Not only may the pump have a problem,but there is alot of stuff at the bottom of the tank,you dont want that stuff going threw the fuel system.

Lillydot
04-23-2007, 11:11 PM
is this something specific to toyota? i had my 89 honda accord for two years and i NEVER filled it up til the gas light came on...and then i usually drove another 20-30 miles. never had any problems. same with the 01 ford focus. are toyota fuel pumps more sensative or designed differently?

St_G
04-23-2007, 11:33 PM
I drove my '95 Saturn SL1 from October of 1996 until January of 2007, running it to E on every damn tank. It's still on its original fuel pump. I'm not saying that the warning is bullshit; I've heard it before and am sure that it represents a genuine potential issue, but hardly one that is assured to happen if you go beneath 1/4th of a tank.

daq421
04-24-2007, 02:11 AM

~YR

The Yaris uses fuel in the tank to cool the fuel pump, letting it get too low can cause over heating that might result in a premature failure of the pump.

-Peter

Black Yaris
04-24-2007, 02:15 AM
The Yaris uses fuel in the tank to cool the fuel pump, letting it get too low can cause over heating that might result in a premature failure of the pump.

-Peter

DING DING DING... we have a winner :clap:

ChinoCharles
04-24-2007, 11:42 AM
I drove my '95 Saturn SL1 from October of 1996 until January of 2007, running it to E on every damn tank. It's still on its original fuel pump. I'm not saying that the warning is bullshit; I've heard it before and am sure that it represents a genuine potential issue, but hardly one that is assured to happen if you go beneath 1/4th of a tank.

I didn't get it from the back of a box of wheaties. Its in the manual. Try reading it! :wink:

Black Yaris
04-24-2007, 11:47 AM

and I have worked at a couple shops and new at a parts store and you would not believe how many fuel pumps we sell, first question I ask is "do you run it below a 1/4 tank often?" 99.99999% of the time they say yes

you must of had that one hardy fuel pump that was like the lil engine that could... I think I can, I think I can... choogga... choogga... CHOOO CHOOOOO

St_G
04-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Dude, re-read what I said: "I'm not saying that the warning is bullshit; I've heard it before and am sure that it represents a genuine potential issue"

I didn't get it from the back of a box of wheaties. Its in the manual. Try reading it! :wink:

Lillydot
04-26-2007, 12:01 AM
and I have worked at a couple shops and new at a parts store and you would not believe how many fuel pumps we sell, first question I ask is "do you run it below a 1/4 tank often?" 99.99999% of the time they say yes

you must of had that one hardy fuel pump that was like the lil engine that could... I think I can, I think I can... choogga... choogga... CHOOO CHOOOOO

i hear what everyone is saying, but i'm having trouble really believeing it. all my family drives til the gas light comes on. my mom,dad,sister,aunt, grandmother, all of them. as far as i know, no one has ever had a probelm with the fuel pump. and they all had their cars for at least two years. then again, none of them have toyotas. i'm the first. so, i ask again, is this mainly a toyota problem?

blacksan
04-26-2007, 12:06 AM
I normaly gas up before "O Shit" light, but tried out my new 07 LB just for personal satisfaction. When the lights started to blink I burned 9.3 gallons. So, if the 11.1 capacity is correct I still had a little bit to go.

PetersRedYaris
04-26-2007, 12:29 AM
I think it's most important to not let the fuel ever run out completley. I don't know if it's true for the Yaris, but many fuel pumps, especially diesels, use the fuel as a lubricant, and when you run out you are running a pump without lube. I've never heard the fill up a 1/4 tank thing, and I've never had to replace a fuel pump. I think that's more of a safety issue recommendation; don't want people running out of gas on busy streets.

Back on topic, my blinking light works great. It starts off relatively slow and steadily increases to a rapid blink. The most fuel I've ever put in after the rapid blink was 10.68 gallons. It holds 11.2 so I got pretty close to empty. That was 27 miles past the beginning of the blink.

NimbleYarisOwner
08-23-2007, 01:41 PM
I have a 2007 yaris M5.

Concerning the fuel level display:
I know that the last square starts to flash when you reach it on the elctronic fuel level display.

But does the gas tank light up when you are real low?

I looked in the manual but it doesn't specify.

thanks!

redyaris
08-23-2007, 01:43 PM
I have a 2007 yaris M5.

Concerning the fuel level display:
I know that the last square starts to flash when you reach it on the elctronic fuel level display.

I looked in the manual but it doesn't specify.

thanks!

'Light up'? You mean blow up LOL? :eyebulge: Do you mean is there a gas pump icon that appears? No. That one rapidly flashing light is all the warning you get.

NimbleYarisOwner
08-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Yep i meant gas pump icon lighting up,blinking ,etc
Glad u got a laugh out of it though.

redyaris
08-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Yep i meant gas pump icon lighting up,blinking ,etc
Glad u got a laugh out of it though.

I dont take too much on here seriously. Its good therapy. Another newbie thats wound too tight.

By the way when did Toyota start making M5s?

black2yaris
08-23-2007, 03:24 PM
if u read that little book that came with your new car it would inform you that the last bar in fuel level display starts blinking slowly at 1st and speeds up the blinking the lower your fuel level gets..
SOO when it's blinking like a Cop on yer ass for speeding, your about to run out of fuel ... also bad things can happen if you run out of fuel , some of which are not what is talked about below

NOW here's the rub , You should NEVER ! & i do mean Never ! let your fuel level get to the point of blinking ..

WHY you ask ?

the fuel pump is electric & is located in the bottom of your fuel tank . The fuel in the tank keeps the motor & pump assy. COOL as in not overheating while in a bath of cold fuel , when real low on fuel this exposes the fuel pump to air & air don't dissipate heat very well inside a closed fuel tank

If your one of those types that let's it run all the way down to a flashing bar, "I ani't got the time right now to fuel" on every tank of fuel . then a replacing the fuel pump assy chore is in yer future

AND it's NOT CHEAP to replace it , as the pump assy is very expensive & the labor is even more (they have to drain & pull the fuel tank off to get the pump out ) not to mention the tow bill

Soo to all you BUZI people out there in YARI land , who don't have the time to fuel when you got 2 bars on the fuel display , all that fuel & money yer saving getting out of your Yari at 40mpg is going to the guys replacing the fuel pump .. been there, done that , didn't even get the TeeShirt from the service dept.

the tow truck driver asked me if i let run down all the time , i say yes, he laffs & looks out the window

the service dept. manager asks the same question ,he just nods when i say
yes
I finally ask why do i keep getting asked the same question about low fuel when i picked up the car .. this was after the mind numbing shock of the HIGH service bill !

Warranty HAH ! not if you say yes to the above question , as they call it abuse
I'm L O L now but it was not Funny at the time !!!

jdium
08-23-2007, 03:54 PM

Actually, if you take a glance under your car right before you fill up, your tank will have a slight luminescence to it... http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/smilies/expressive/upsidedown.gif

xpeteyjtx
08-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Warranty HAH ! not if you say yes to the above question , as they call it abuse
I'm L O L now but it was not Funny at the time !!!

why oh why did you tell them that you always let your car run on fumes? I applaud you for being honest... but I'm sure you paid around $1000 at the stealership.

black2yaris
08-23-2007, 05:02 PM
why oh why did you tell them that you always let your car run on fumes? I applaud you for being honest... but I'm sure you paid around $1000 at the stealership.

i'm only STUPID once ! had the towtruck driver told me what he was laffin' at then i ' d been wise to it ..

but then agin if i was in his shoes i'd done the same ,he makes money off stupid people doing stupid things .. Ya don't educate yer money makers
:laughabove:

sherryberry
08-23-2007, 06:17 PM
i try to fill up the tank when i'm at 2 bars.. only once did I do so at one bar. since i'm so good about fillin' up, my car hasn't glowed yet :frown:

Masteraal
08-24-2007, 12:50 AM
well u learn something new everyday! good thing i havent gotten my yaris yet so its not too late :D hehe

MarkBen
08-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Sweet Christ... I've only had 6 fill ups so far on my Yaris, and all but once went down to the blinking bar. Glad I read this post, as that will never happen again...

RTW YARIS
08-24-2007, 11:11 AM
blah...I just recently put gas in my Yaris for the first time. I let it get down to the blinking bar...then the blinking bar started blinking FASTER. so i was like ok NOW ill get some gas. so when I went to fill it up, it only put in 10 gallons meaning I still had a good gallon or so still left in the tank! I was pissed because I could have kept going lol. Im wondering if you let it go far enough if the blinking bar will just disappear entirely. Ill try to test this at the end of this tank :P And Im not worried about the stupid pump failing.

Black Yaris
08-24-2007, 11:13 AM
this was a repost..... so I was kind enough to merg the post so you do not have to click any links or day any searches to see what ppl had to say about this subject b4

redyaris
08-24-2007, 02:35 PM
You give so much to us everyday Black Yaris. We are grateful.

jdium
08-24-2007, 03:20 PM
this was a repost..... so I was kind enough to merg the post so you do not have to click any links or day any searches to see what ppl had to say about this subject b4

Wow, you didn't lock it? :iono: