PDA

View Full Version : Under $2500 Tubo Kit Update

cdydjded
08-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Well the manifold is done, the turbo is mounted & I was fabricating the downpipe & was wondering the following:

option 1: 2.5" dp that connects directly to the factory exhaust.

option 2: 2.5" dp that does not connect to the factory exhaust

I am assuming that the person who buys this kit will change the factory exhaust, but who knows. What do you guys think?

CASTREX
08-25-2007, 07:48 PM
investing $2.5k and keeping the oem exhaust is kind of absurd.

Lafiro
08-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Yeah, lets spend more money.... connect to a custom exhaust.

cm07yaris
08-26-2007, 02:33 AM
+1 to the previous posts, anyone spending 2500 for the kit can spend an extra 200 or so for exhaust if its not already done IMO

cali yaris
08-26-2007, 04:52 AM
yes, but it should come with a downpipe, those are hard to come by locally with high quality.

2.5" ? What about 2.25" -- what is the best size for the lower boost we'll be running. I am not going to risk blowing my motor, so I won't be running 10+ pounds on Yaris internals.

jdium
08-26-2007, 05:52 AM
How bout some dyno charts of both? If you seriously think people would want to hook a turbo to stock exhaust, why not do the due diligence and show the results both ways? I'm seriously curious, as I'm almost the biggest doubter that a turbo kit on a Yaris is worthwhile...I'd love to see charts that show me that money spent on power on this car isn't wasted...

cali yaris
08-26-2007, 01:05 PM
that would be good, but that would also require two downpipes just to test the difference.

Jdium, you may end up being right ("it's not worth it"), but it's going to be a LOT of fun finding out!

joey1320
08-26-2007, 02:29 PM
that would be good, but that would also require two downpipes just to test the difference.

Jdium, you may end up being right ("it's not worth it"), but it's going to be a LOT of fun finding out!

so make 2 downpipes and test and see what happens. it takes a lot of r&d to put a good product on the streets... expensive but necessary!

joey1320
08-26-2007, 02:35 PM
hey cdydjded how are you planing on runing the oil lines? i was looking under the hatch yesterday and it seems like is gonna be a bit of an issue with the dual-piece oil pan. i gotta drop the pan tomorrow and see what it looks like to be able to fab a inlet port.

also since you are doing a topmount, what about the return line? how are you planing or routing those?

cdydjded
08-26-2007, 08:17 PM
investing $2.5k and keeping the oem exhaust is kind of absurd.

Yes you are right but considering the frugalness of the Yaris community anthing is possible

cdydjded
08-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah, lets spend more money.... connect to a custom exhaust.

Yes custom exhaust is the way to go

cdydjded
08-26-2007, 08:20 PM
yes, but it should come with a downpipe, those are hard to come by locally with high quality.

2.5" ? What about 2.25" -- what is the best size for the lower boost we'll be running. I am not going to risk blowing my motor, so I won't be running 10+ pounds on Yaris internals.

Yes the kit will include a 2.5" downpipe. 2.5" is not going to affect the reliability of the kit. It will not blow the motor. Your right foot blows motors.

cdydjded
08-26-2007, 08:21 PM
How bout some dyno charts of both? If you seriously think people would want to hook a turbo to stock exhaust, why not do the due diligence and show the results both ways? I'm seriously curious, as I'm almost the biggest doubter that a turbo kit on a Yaris is worthwhile...I'd love to see charts that show me that money spent on power on this car isn't wasted...

I do not seriously think people want to hook up to stock exhaust but I wanted to give the option. Why would you doubt a kit would not be worthwile?

Lafiro
08-26-2007, 08:22 PM
I wouldnt want to be caught in the middle, its not much of a difference compared to the overall price, so why stop mid way, do it all at once, and only once. Thats how I see it.

cdydjded
08-26-2007, 08:24 PM
hey cdydjded how are you planing on runing the oil lines? i was looking under the hatch yesterday and it seems like is gonna be a bit of an issue with the dual-piece oil pan. i gotta drop the pan tomorrow and see what it looks like to be able to fab a inlet port.

also since you are doing a topmount, what about the return line? how are you planing or routing those?

I am selling a the kit with a modified oil pan. Greddy & HKS sell their xb kits with cast oil pans & the have a sump for the oil return. What I am going to do is modify the stock pan. My goal is to make the kit as simple to install as possible. Drilling into the oil pan requires special tools. I want to have a kit that can be installed in ones driveway.

punch
08-26-2007, 10:44 PM
alright coming from the turbo pt cruiser, one of the first mods i did was to upgrade the downpipe to a larger opening, with highflow cat... ( I will look for the company who makes these, his peices are awsome, and come in 3 grade levels..)

he offered the option on the downpipe weather it connected to stock exhaust or a size of your choosing...

he also offered extra bungs for wideband sensors, o2 sensors etc...

you can start with the (lets call it )
stage 1 kit, which is just the turbo upgrade
stage 2 kit, turbo, downpipe cat upgrade
stege 3 turbo and custom exhaust

lostmind
08-26-2007, 11:05 PM
oh punch, I think someone else wanted a stage 0 kit as well... heh