PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap / Turbo....

Sabretooth
08-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Ok, this is in lines with the 3GSTE, If your not familiar, it is a relatively good swap for any car, it is a 220ish hp Turbo motor that came in the 2nd Gen Celica AWD Turbo. Now, this is where the tricky part is,

I have a bud from work that has a motor (with tranny/ecu/harnesses) at easy pickins. Now I dont know if there is a way to just keep the car FWD, or how would I even go about converting to AWD?

I highly doubt it has been done with this car, Or if they had a 3GSTE that came only FWD. Either way, this is a really interesting project, that I have come across. Didnt know if it would be a huge headache, or if I have something going for me?

Of course, I wouldnt throw the motor in for about another 6 months-year... Try and build up what I have, and also try and convert the motor beforehand, for a easy drop in. With the exception of needing to build a custom Exhaust after its already in.

I just keep on thinking about a Turbo AWD Yaris pushing 250hp! :burnrubber:

Anyway. Any thoughts, or concepts? Solutions would be awesome!... or a miracle.

Tapper
08-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Well that sounds like one hell of a project. I think you could do it in 2 wheel drive depending on what type of drive it has. I am not familliar with the celica setup. When using an Eagle Talon which has 4 wheel drive on a 2wd dyno the shop I deal with puts a welded vicous couplig in the car, ok if you are going staight I think but not so good for corners.

If you were to put 4wd in it that would be great but I think you may have to do some serious modifications to the yaris to accomodate the rear subframe or drive of the celica.

ANYTHING can be done, it just takes time and money.

Another thing is the Celica was not that fast. I had a Festiva (very small Ford) that I put A Mazda GTX engine in and I could toast a freinds celica All Trac with no sweat.

The other problem you may run into is compatibility with the electrical components on your Yaris. Speedo, throttle,fly by wire now- OBD etc....

I'd go matrix engine, built and turbo'd with stock computer re mapped.

Just my 2 cents, Tapper

SAKU
08-31-2007, 05:24 PM
That would be a pretty intense Yaris, if you were able to do this swap. You need to make sure the engine fits, and if it does wow :thumbup:. As for the 4WD that seems like a huge headache. You'd have to do massive chassis work and it seems like too much money. But if you can go for it, it would definitely be nice. Good Luck :thumbup:

barebonedvitz
09-08-2007, 03:51 PM
how about the 4wd matrix?

Unknown_Epiphany
09-09-2007, 08:48 PM
go to 6gc.net for info of the 3g motors, There is a way to keep the cars FWD.

matrixmanvvtl_i
09-10-2007, 12:45 AM
how about the 4wd matrix?

the 4wd matrix only comes with the 130hp (give or take) 1ZZ... the 2ZZ is rated at 180hp... but the problem is with the 2ZZ you are dealing with 11.5-1 compression ratios...

WRBlue
09-10-2007, 02:34 PM
I have a bud from work that has a motor (with tranny/ecu/harnesses) at easy pickins. Now I dont know if there is a way to just keep the car FWD, or how would I even go about converting to AWD?

I highly doubt it has been done with this car, Or if they had a 3GSTE that came only FWD.

The MkII MR2 Turbo was a transverse RWD 3S-GTE (basically a FWD 3S-GTE sitting in the rear end of the car). I do believe that the NA MR2 was a 3S-GE so it's transmission should work. Possibly any S motor's trans might work.

ChinoCharles
09-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Holy hypotheticals.

pp.sweet
09-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Holy hypotheticals.

:laughabove:

eTiMaGo
09-11-2007, 01:06 AM
FWIW I saw with my own eyes a 3S-GE (non-turbo) in a previous generation Vios engine bay. They had to move the radiator forward and expand the engine bay a bit, but it can fit, very very tight.

I've put a lot of thought into this topic, wanting to go 3S-GTE + AWD myself, but it's really too much, you gotta draw the line somewhere. Even if it does fit and work, it would be hell to do any kind of work on the engine with everything packed so damn tight. It would be really cool, yeah, and kick ass on the street and track, but really impractical in the long term unless you run your own garage...

ddongbap
09-13-2007, 06:23 PM
The 3S-GTE came as fwd in those flipup light Celicas.