PDA

View Full Version : storing cd's

roxy84
09-01-2007, 09:09 AM
not sure where to post this, but what do you guys do to store your cd's? my case is too big to really fit anywhere. ive heard people complain that the visors are too thick to hold those cd holders, so i havent tried that yet.

RS07
09-01-2007, 09:43 AM
I use a 48 cd case that i keep in the back pocket of the passenger seat. Fits perfectly and it is praticly invisible (black on black).

brickhardmeat
09-01-2007, 10:41 AM
CD, people still buy those:laugh:

nqd
09-01-2007, 12:07 PM
I keep my tapes in the glove...haha!

brickhardmeat
09-01-2007, 12:32 PM
tape deck, now that is vintage

xed
09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
I got tired of having to dig through a huge book of CDs so I bought an ipod and just transferred everything. Definitely one of the best gizmo purchases I've ever made. If my ipod went belly up today I would immediately go out and buy another one.

black2yaris
09-01-2007, 12:54 PM
ipod suck ! mp3's decompress to garbage ! you lose all the audio sonics .. Apple has everyone fooled that small is better , when it's not .. Vinal is where the real sound is but CD's will at least reproduce the audio 100% ,, long live the CD

flagmunkey
09-01-2007, 12:55 PM
you only need like 4 cds if they're all mp3s. thats HOURS of music!

brickhardmeat
09-01-2007, 01:19 PM
ipod suck ! mp3's decompress to garbage ! you lose all the audio sonics .. Apple has everyone fooled that small is better , when it's not .. Vinal is where the real sound is but CD's will at least reproduce the audio 100% ,, long live the CD

thanks phil spector!

anyway, reality is I'm not lugging around piles of cd's, or cluttering my home with vinyl and getting up to change records or move the needle to the song I want, I am totally happy with rhapsody sound quality but I'm not a famed record producer like you, I don't use Apple either

glad you like the cd's ,someone has to I guess, but they will be phased out, mp3 quality will continue to improve

you are so 80's:laugh:

Violin
09-01-2007, 01:30 PM
I have a case that holds something like 96 CDs that I keep under the passenger seat.

I have an MP3 player too. If you can't tell the difference in sound quality, more power too you.

xed
09-01-2007, 02:17 PM

True for 99% of the crap mp3's that people make but not the way I make them. :)

Here's a how to guide for anyone that wants to create mint mp3s.

http://www.chrismyden.com/bestmp3guide.php

I feel completely confident that if you follow the above method exactly that you will not be able to tell the difference between the mp3 and the original on anything but true audiophile equipment.

SIDE NOTE: Yes an mp3 will never be as good as a CD no matter what method of ripping and compressing the mp3 you use. But the real question is "do you have equipment good enough to reproduce the CD with enough quality that you can tell the difference between it and an mp3 which has been correctly ripped?" I don't (and will never) have the $1000 CD player, tube headphone amp, etc... that a true audiophile would use. The method I use to rip mp3s allows me to create files with are at a minimum equal to the quality of the equipment that I would be able to play the original CD on. I'm very VERY picky about the quality of my mp3s and if I can rip it good enough that I can't tell the difference then that's more than good enough for me. :)

MP3s have a bad rep because nobody actually knows how to properly rip them. They use some canned software and press a "Rip to mp3" button and then wonder why the mp3s they just made don't sound as good as the cd.

EDIT: Actually if you really want to digitally go for it you could not use mp3s at all and go FLAC which is lossless and is truely a perfect reproduction of what is on the CD. The file sizes are huge compared to mp3s but still nowhere near the full CD size. You just have to find a digital music player that you like which will play back FLAC files.

black2yaris
09-01-2007, 03:10 PM
I use flac's & flash memory &/or a hard drive at home to listen to Real Music & soon will be using that also in the Yari ,but for now the CD's with 16 bit wav tracks sound better than any MP3 ..

I'd guess that if anyone can't tell the difference from a CD/16 bit wav file & a mp3 file , then you've had yer Ipod ear buds turned up way past the level that damages your hearing & you now will never be able to hear the difference anyway ........

Dick .. you know what happened to the last person that had words with Phil ?

black2yaris
09-01-2007, 03:16 PM
glad you like the cd's ,someone has to I guess, but they will be phased out, mp3 quality will continue to improve

the uninformed never know what going on anyway , i'm happy yer happy ! Excuse me while I warm the hard drive up !

Pars
09-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Apple's iTune now has a lossless compression which is suppose to be all that.

Perhaps I'd be able to tell the difference with my old Alpine system, but the Yaris's system isn't good enough to differentiate between CD quality and compressed music.

Sabretooth
09-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I went with an Ipod back in the day, when they had the 1st gen. Nano, so its been about 1.5 years, but yea. look what they have come from the 1st gen Nano...
Anyway, I will agree you will never have perfect CD quality when it comes to MP3, but I will say that Itunes sucks when transfering some songs, when it transfers such a large amount of data, sometimes you get a big skip in your songs...I dont know why, but it prolly is a hardware problem. Well, I can just say...If I had a 100CD Changer in my car, it wouldnt be enough. It works fine when I have the Ipod holding 500hp songs, and still has room for more. plus the interface on the MP3 Player for the Yaris is kinda odd, I liked the one in the Hyundai I rented better, was clearer...but the car MSRP'd for $10,000 more than the Yaris.

Pars
09-01-2007, 11:36 PM
The Nano isn't old. My 6gig Mini (which is now about 3.5 years old) is a real work horse. I doubt the newer units can produce a cleaner sounds.

spinejaruk
09-02-2007, 07:58 PM
I have put all my cds in wallet type sleeves so I just take a bunch out that I want to listen to in the car and put them in the centre armrest console:

YarisFan007
09-02-2007, 10:03 PM
not sure where to post this, but what do you guys do to store your cd's? my case is too big to really fit anywhere. ive heard people complain that the visors are too thick to hold those cd holders, so i havent tried that yet.

I just make Data/MP3 discs as oppose to having the full CD album itself. It's better to make an MP3 disc because you can condense multiple CD into one.

brickhardmeat
09-03-2007, 10:06 AM
I have put all my cds in wallet type sleeves so I just take a bunch out that I want to listen to in the car and put them in the centre armrest console:

i have the same console