PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from Non-Power to Power

Ran Kizama
07-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Yeah, maybe I should have waited but here goes...

My Yaris hatch doesn't have power windows or locks. Can you get upgraded and if so, does anyone know of a price? Thanks in advance for the help.

SamDaYarisMan
07-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I don't know about an oem upgrade but i installed a universal power window kit last week from a1electric.com. I ordered the colibri star power window kit for about $150 shipped. Pretty excellent kit for the money. It came with nice flush mount, illuminated switches and plugs for the crank holes. I would think anyone who has some mechanical and electrical skills would be able to install these in an a day. It took me about 4 hours to do both doors. They also have a power door lock kit with keyless entry for $115 that i plan get also. will take pictures if anyone is interested.

Ran Kizama
07-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Pics and a link would be great!

SamDaYarisMan
07-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Here's the link: http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=Star

I just went to take a pic but the batteries in the camera are dead. When i get a chance i will take a picture during the day, and at night to show the illuminated switches

PixieDawn
07-06-2006, 06:44 PM
SamDaYarisMan, where in fl are you? anywhere near tampa lol..

eight_heads
07-11-2006, 05:43 PM
i've done kits like these before and they're pretty easy as long as you get the motor and all mounted securely

PixieDawn
07-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Is this the kit on this site I would want to use for the power door locks

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=W01C-RF104&Category_Code=

Is the right one I would want to use if I wanted the alarm done at the same time...

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=W01C-B6000&Category_Code=

I am going to see if i can get the door locks and windows both done at the same time since the doors will already be apart. I found a friend who rebuilds classic cars who should be able to do it for me but he wants to see the specs before he makes the deal :wink:

SamDaYarisMan
07-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Yes, those are the right kits pixie. Are You planning on installing this kit yourself? I'm sure you could do the door locks and windows if you have the right tools, but the alarm seems like it might be pretty difficult. Anyway, like eight heads said, the most important thing is to mount the driving gear as secure as possible to the door. If not the gears will have too much play and they will probably become misaligned and wear out. Havent had a chance to take pics, but i will probably have time this weekend to take the door panel off and show how i mounted the kit. Im in the navy in jacksonville and ill be going home to orlando this weekend. Good luck and dont hesitate to pm me if you need to ask questions about the install.

Chris07LB
07-12-2006, 10:51 AM
How easy was it to remove the door pannels?

SamDaYarisMan
07-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Chris the door panels are very easy to remove. There are a total of 4 screws...One on behind the door opening latch and 3 underneath the armrest trim. Take the latch screw out first, then pull up on the armrest trim starting with the rearmost part. It will just pop off in 3 sections. Once armrest trim is removed you will see the 3 other screws. Remove those screws and pull the door panel away from the door starting at the bottom. You will hear the fasteners pop off. Once you've worked your way up you will feel when there are no more fasteners holding. At this point lift the entire panel up, lifting the top of the panel from where it hangs against the glass. Oh yeah i forgot, everything is really easy except for the window crank mechanism. There is some sort of flexible cotter pin type thing that holds the crank to the shaft. You have to slide two flat objects under the crank to force the cotter pin thing out. It seems to me like there may be a special tool for this, but as long as you use something strong and flat you should be able to get it out. Try to us something plastic so you do not scratch the trim.

El Jefe
07-12-2006, 09:38 PM
you know what works really well on the window cranks is a shop rag, just fold it in half, then wedge it inbetween the crank and door panel, then work it back and forth and you'll catch the ends of that clip and pop it right out. neat trick my old shop foreman showed me awhile back.

Chaad32
07-23-2006, 11:02 AM
SamDaYarisMan, and word on how that power window and door lock install went?

eight_heads
07-27-2006, 12:43 AM
well i went ahead and had a new Viper alarm installed on my car last weekend, it's a 2-way and i love it.... anywho... i also ordered a power lock actuator set for cable locks for my car and will hopefully have them in this weekend...i ordered the kit from http://www.a1electric.com/cable_locks.htm and it was like $90 or so... this seems to be the only aftermarket actuator setup for cables and MES is a good brand... they are also central locking(in other words, you lock or unlock 1 door with either the key or the handle and it will lock/unlock the other door/doors as well...no need for an extra switch or button)... so i should have this kit installed and working by itself and with my Viper alarm soon...!!!

ChinoCharles
07-27-2006, 02:03 AM
90 bucks for power locks? Please make a kickass how-to.

eight_heads
07-27-2006, 10:46 PM
if you follow that link they have a nice how-to on a tundra, so it should be pretty close... i may have the shop that installed my viper go ahead and do it as they warrant any install for as long as i have the car

overboost
07-30-2006, 11:19 PM
hey guys i Just installed my viper 791xv 2 way alarm/starter and added my own power locks. I work as a moblie elcetronics installer and this was my first attempt at putting in actuators in a car with cable door locks. I just used regular actuators and made brakets to hold the outer sleeve of the cable locks so the inner rod could be held on to by the actuator. and it only took maybe an hour per door. not to bad

eight_heads
07-31-2006, 07:06 PM
any pics of where you mounted the actuators? the shop i am having install mine was packed this weekend