PDA

View Full Version : Under $2500 Tubo Kit Update 2

cdydjded
09-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Well I spent all weekend figuring out the wiring for the AEM FIC. Not that it takes that long to install but I was trying to find the easiest way to install it. I found the injector, cam sensor, crank sensor, switch power & ground. I still need the TPS signal & O2 signal. If anyone can help I would apriciate it. The manifold is done, turbo & I/C is on the way & the oil pan is getting modified for the oil return. Any questions please ask.

Tapper
09-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Cool stuff! What injectors are you using?

joey1320
09-03-2007, 11:37 AM
can you take a closer pic of the welds?

i'll see if i can find the signals you need on etimago's repair manual.

cali yaris
09-03-2007, 09:06 PM
can you put an additional o2 bung on the downpipe, so it has a dedicated sensor?

cdydjded
09-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Cool stuff! What injectors are you using?

Since it will be only a 5-7lb kit I am going to try the stock injectors, if they are not sufficiant I will use TC injectors

cdydjded
09-04-2007, 08:54 AM
can you take a closer pic of the welds?

i'll see if i can find the signals you need on etimago's repair manual.

Give me till tonight for the close ups. Great if you can find the signals for me. I a m trying also to cross reference a XB install I found on a AEM forums.

cdydjded
09-04-2007, 08:59 AM
can you put an additional o2 bung on the downpipe, so it has a dedicated sensor?

All ready planned. This kit will not remove the front O2 like the ZPI kit.

joey1320
09-04-2007, 11:52 AM
hey if you go tot he repair manual on the "diy" section you will get the "Engine Cotrol System". click on that and then go to page 31. there you can find the pinouts for the ecu and if go to the next 2 pages you will get all the info needed. good luck!

cdydjded
09-04-2007, 02:00 PM
hey if you go tot he repair manual on the "diy" section you will get the "Engine Cotrol System". click on that and then go to page 31. there you can find the pinouts for the ecu and if go to the next 2 pages you will get all the info needed. good luck!

Thats exactly what I needed. You get a discount on the kit if you buy one! :thumbup:

joey1320
09-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Thats exactly what I needed. You get a discount on the kit if you buy one! :thumbup:

haha thanks man but i'm making my own:smile:

ChinoCharles
09-04-2007, 03:45 PM
:bow:

Joey, want to come down to Bedford at 6?

forpinks
09-04-2007, 04:46 PM
I wanna see how this goes...

Watching...

forpinks
09-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Don't forget to powder coat the log manifold in Sterling Silver!

cdydjded
09-04-2007, 04:49 PM
haha thanks man but i'm making my own:smile:

What are you going to use for engine managment?

joey1320
09-04-2007, 05:20 PM
What are you going to use for engine managment?

as of right now i got the the emanage. i'll see how that works and go from there. i gotta finish everyhting and schedule the dyno time.

what are your hp goals with the setup?

YogiYaris
09-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Doesn't greddy make a kit for something like 2k that is bolt on with no FMIC for the 1nz?

cali yaris
09-17-2007, 12:08 AM
for the xb, not the Yaris -- different ECU and some other mods needed I believe

joey1320
09-17-2007, 08:57 AM
and greddy's kit is a supercharger kit not a turbo.

KSIbucky
09-17-2007, 06:10 PM
and greddy's kit is a supercharger kit not a turbo.

?

joey1320
09-17-2007, 07:42 PM
?

oops sorry they do make a turbo kit for the xb. i talked to Tim Medina from Greddy's New Jersey headquarters and he said they only had a supercharger kit, but i just looked at their site and they do have turbo kit... sorry!:redface:

Black Yaris
09-17-2007, 07:48 PM
:biggrin:I want to see a 200WHP Yaris:biggrin:

Nexus1155
09-18-2007, 08:40 AM
holy upgraded internals black yaris... KABOOM!

ddongbap
09-18-2007, 06:42 PM
200whp isn't that much.. I don't think..

B18s have already hit that. Seeing how this 1nz(or was it az? whatever the Yaris engine is) is a newer engine. I wouldn't think that it would be a big problem?

Doc Zaius
09-18-2007, 06:52 PM
200whp isn't that much.. I don't think..

B18s have already hit that. Seeing how this 1nz(or was it az? whatever the Yaris engine is) is a newer engine. I wouldn't think that it would be a big problem?

Hehhehh... do a little more reading about the 1NZ-FE, and you'll begin to understand why more than doubling the engine's power output might require some pretty serious work and upgrades! :wink:

Black Yaris
09-18-2007, 06:59 PM
holy upgraded internals black yaris... KABOOM!

200 WHP is not all that unrealistic, on 6psi of boost, and totallaly doable on stock internals.... and if:wink::wink:my car get's boosted and I smoke the engine do to too much power for the stock internals... Hell, I will a)completely rework a new motor sleave it and beef up the rest of the internals, slap a T3 and unleash some fury:evil:, or b)2zz swap.... and eventally boost that bitch too
My vote is A.... after talking to a few fellow members, I want to see what can be done with the 1NZ, lets push it till we can't push no more:headbang:

Black Yaris
09-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Hehhehh... do a little more reading about the 1NZ-FE, and you'll begin to understand why more than doubling the engine's power output might require some pretty serious work and upgrades! :wink:

Axles...... LOTS AND LOTS of axles :biggrin:

ddongbap
09-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Axles...... LOTS AND LOTS of axles :biggrin:

Is that it? Or is that bottom end really not so great? Maybe I should go do that 3SG swap some people have been talking about.

Black Yaris
09-18-2007, 08:19 PM
you be the first to 3sgte your yaris, you will be God..... expecially if you are running a modded 3S.... on stock internals you can push the 350WHP range... yeah, insane, but I can pick up S3-GTE swaps (complete drivetrain with ECU) in the $2000 range with decent miles on them

Nexus1155
09-18-2007, 09:18 PM
oooh you can probably cut down on the axles if you put on some full metal motor mounts... just rip the old ones out and put some metal discs in there from home depot... they do it on Sentra SE-Rs all the time because the motor causes too much wheel hop and breaks axles...

Black Yaris
09-18-2007, 09:40 PM
solid mount the motor..... that is thought.... Hmm.. would Aluminum be strong enough? If not just have them bitches machined out of stainless

joey1320
09-18-2007, 09:53 PM
200whp is not out of the question, as a lot of us know yaristurbo plut down 186whp to the wheels with a stock engine. the only worries will be the internals and axles.

i persoanlly think 200whp is too much at the moment with the lack of knowledge on these engines and ecu's. i plan on getting a spare engine soon and tearing it apart but the one thing i know from pulling down the metal "oil pan" is that the block is a not a normal one. it seems to have girdles as the Acura GSR's but machined onto the block...

sorry i didn't take pics of them. well if all works ok my wideband should be here next week and then i'll be finishing the turbo install and taking it to the dyno... wish me luck!

redduck
09-18-2007, 10:08 PM
solid mount the motor..... that is thought.... Hmm.. would Aluminum be strong enough? If not just have them bitches machined out of stainless

your car would vibrate so much with a solid mount. you would he annoyed in an hour

Black Yaris
09-18-2007, 10:51 PM
your car would vibrate so much with a solid mount. you would he annoyed in an hour

I do not annoy easily..... I drove an s-10 that would bottom out on a pubic hair

Nexus1155
09-19-2007, 11:48 AM
$4 down home depot for metal washer like rings 2 on eac side of mm and ur set ill look up the article in a min

redduck
09-19-2007, 12:04 PM
I do not annoy easily..... I drove an s-10 that would bottom out on a pubic hair

I used to drive a body dropped dime, I know what you mean. I love me some mini-trucks

cali yaris
09-19-2007, 12:20 PM
don't forget the work on the transmission.

My kit comes next week, and I'm going to start with stock internals -- we'll see what she makes. It's all on paper until someone commits and completes.

Nexus1155
09-19-2007, 04:40 PM
http://myspecv.com/f/t1255-4-wheelhop-aid.html

Black Yaris
09-19-2007, 05:52 PM
don't forget the work on the transmission.

My kit comes next week, and I'm going to start with stock internals -- we'll see what she makes. It's all on paper until someone commits and completes.

what kit are you getting?

Black Yaris
09-19-2007, 06:08 PM
so they are running 7-8 psi safely on the 1nz in the scion's with stock internals
http://www.turbo-kits.com/xA_xB_turbo_kits.html
http://www.365motorwerks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=254
so why couldn't we?

joey1320
09-20-2007, 06:09 PM
so they are running 7-8 psi safely on the 1nz in the scion's with stock internals
http://www.turbo-kits.com/xA_xB_turbo_kits.html
http://www.365motorwerks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=254
so why couldn't we?

WE WILL my friend, WE WILL...:thumbup:

CASTREX
09-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Question? Why did you end up choosing the AEM FIC instead of the more common/affordable e-manage? Any particular reason??

cali yaris
09-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Because the eManage doesn't work. The stock ECU "learns" and compensates for any changes made by the eManage, at least from those who report actually trying it.

CASTREX
09-28-2007, 04:15 AM
I thought that the learning issue would happen with any piggyback systems. Is confirmed that the AEM FIC will fool the learning feature of the ECU?

cali yaris
09-28-2007, 09:34 AM
nope, not that I know of!

Black Yaris
09-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Well I am going to buy a new clutch and lightened flywheel while I am at it, b4 I do the turbo

Doc Zaius
09-28-2007, 11:26 AM
New clutch, definitely. I was talking to this mechanic at a speed shop about boosting the car, and he recommended *not* getting a lightened flywheel... said it would make it "not fun" to drive..? Perhaps with the spooling of the turbo, the engine would be smoother with the stock flywheel?

smokinyaris
09-28-2007, 01:20 PM
yo cali keep me posted on your kit...................since ur in socal

cali yaris
09-28-2007, 01:43 PM
will do -- suppose to be going in for coating next week, then shipped. I'll be doing a clutch also and probably the Kaaz LSD.

Black Yaris
09-28-2007, 03:53 PM
New clutch, definitely. I was talking to this mechanic at a speed shop about boosting the car, and he recommended *not* getting a lightened flywheel... said it would make it "not fun" to drive..? Perhaps with the spooling of the turbo, the engine would be smoother with the stock flywheel?

I do not see why it would make it not fun to drive

Tapper
09-28-2007, 07:02 PM
I think the lightened flywheel would cause the clutch to engage different from stock. If you were to use an aftermarket clutch it would only affect it more. Also, the idle characteristics of the car can change.

ddongbap
09-28-2007, 07:28 PM
A lighter flywheel would cause your revs to die down a bit quicker.

Galavoxx
09-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Throttle response would be very twitchy depending on how light the flywheel is made. However, shaving a little weight off the stock flywheel will make a noticeable difference in engine braking as well as accelleration. As long as you don't lighten it up too much, throttle response should remain manageable. Talk to your machine shop and give them your projected crank HP numbers. After weighing the flywheel, they should have a suggestion for how much weight to take off depending on your application.

Duskin_Carpentier
10-20-2008, 08:06 PM
I do not see why it would make it not fun to drive

its not that it wouldn't make it as fun to drive. It basically can slow down how fast your turbo spools thus leaving you less rpms that you are actually making positive pressure. The reason being is because the heavier flywheel puts more load on the engine. More load on the engine = faster spool. Another example is the higher the gear the faster the spool. So if you are in 2nd and starts making boost at 3k rpm it will start even sooner in third because of more load on the engine. Lightened flywheels usually cater more to the n/a crowd.

saplaymate
10-20-2008, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=cdydjded;133318]Well I spent all weekend figuring out the wiring for the AEM FIC. Not that it takes that long to install but I was trying to find the easiest way to install it. I found the injector, cam sensor, crank sensor, switch power & ground. I still need the TPS signal & O2 signal. If anyone can help I would apriciate it. The manifold is done, turbo & I/C is on the way & the oil pan is getting modified for the oil return. Any questions please ask.

I'm a little confused on the wiring set up for the FIC, but I've never seen one or read it's instructions. The wiring may explain why others have had problems:wink:

First by O2 you mean A/F sensor, correct.

But I don't understand tapping into the injector or TPS signals?

On our cars fuel injection duration is controlled by the MAF input signal, so all that needs to be done is manipulate it and you can directly control injector pulse width. (I don't see why you couldn't do the same to the injectors signals):iono:

Tuning injector pulse width in closed loop trims and open loop is simply modifying the MAF signal for the corresponding pressure & RPM. I know I've done it and researched Toyota's training junk.:biggrin:

cali yaris
10-21-2008, 01:42 AM
maybe, but you should drive my car. The T25 turbo spools so fast and early it's amazing to drive -- I don't regret putting in the lightweight flywheel at all.

its not that it wouldn't make it as fun to drive. It basically can slow down how fast your turbo spools thus leaving you less rpms that you are actually making positive pressure. The reason being is because the heavier flywheel puts more load on the engine. More load on the engine = faster spool. Another example is the higher the gear the faster the spool. So if you are in 2nd and starts making boost at 3k rpm it will start even sooner in third because of more load on the engine. Lightened flywheels usually cater more to the n/a crowd.

whoguy
10-21-2008, 01:59 AM
cali..... I have to agree with you.

My cuz put a Light weight flywheel in his WRX and he said it was the best mod he'd done as in bang for buck.

Whether the rotational inertia puts more load on an engine.... I think the load from accelerating the vehicle would make the load from the flywheel insignificant.

Duskin_Carpentier
10-21-2008, 03:18 PM
maybe, but you should drive my car. The T25 turbo spools so fast and early it's amazing to drive -- I don't regret putting in the lightweight flywheel at all.

ya i'm not saying it wouldn't be fun and im sure spool isn't a problem with that little guy. I even have a lightweight flywheel in my turbo M3, but i bought that when i was n/a and sold my stock. All i'm saying is if i were going to turbo this car i don't necessarily see the reason in spending money on a lightened flywheel.. thats all:smile:.

and in regards to whoguy i'm not sure if thats the mods i would choose if i was going for to imporve overall acceleration, assuming thats what his intentions were, but maybe im crazy? haha It may not seem that insignificant, but other turbo bmw guys have changed back from lightweight flywheel to stock and have seen actual imporvment in getting in boost sooner. The sooner you are in boost the better, but thats just my opinion.

PHXDEMON
10-21-2008, 06:01 PM
This is why you don't want to get a lightened flywheel especially on a boosted car.

http://www.phyrefile.com/pic/2007/07/02/780053xp9.jpg
http://www.phyrefile.com/pic/2007/07/02/780050oh0.jpg
http://www.phyrefile.com/pic/2007/07/02/780039wy7.jpg
http://www.phyrefile.com/pic/2007/07/02/780034fu9.jpg
http://www.phyrefile.com/pic/2007/07/02/780036qs9.jpg

bdc87
10-21-2008, 06:40 PM
More likley the drivers fault,mechanics and or manufacturer but I agree to an extent.

cali yaris
10-21-2008, 06:46 PM
All i'm saying is if i were going to turbo this car i don't necessarily see the reason in spending money on a lightened flywheel..

true, not just for that, but if you have it all apart for a clutch upgrade, it's no more trouble. Throw the LSD in there too... :biggrin:

phxdemon, I'll show you my THREE cars that have lightened flywheels with boost that have never had a problem. I'm not sure what your point is -- is that your car in the pictures? Tell us more about it.

PHXDEMON
10-21-2008, 07:03 PM
true, not just for that, but if you have it all apart for a clutch upgrade, it's no more trouble. Throw the LSD in there too... :biggrin:

phxdemon, I'll show you my THREE cars that have lightened flywheels with boost that have never had a problem. I'm not sure what your point is -- is that your car in the pictures? Tell us more about it.
No It just scares me because many time lightened means machined thinner than OEM. More than likely the driver revved his motor to 8k and dumped the clutch which caused that. What manufacturers make lightened flywheels for our car anyway?

PHXDEMON
10-21-2008, 07:16 PM
That flywheel also looks like it was made with the same crappy metal they make most chrome rims with :laugh:

cali yaris
10-21-2008, 08:32 PM
^ true!

Fidanza makes a flywheel for us, that's what I have -- and I think Clutchmasters as well.

saplaymate
10-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Clutch masters does not, I called them back when I was in the market and they said, "we do not make a flywheel for Xb's, That they where frauds". (IDK?????)

cali yaris
10-22-2008, 12:49 AM
what about frauds? chill dude, I said "I THINK" they did.

I know one other company makes a flywheel for us.

ztrack157
10-22-2008, 05:23 AM
Fidanza is the shit had one on my blown 383 Stroker 280z. I loved that car but love the fiancee more damn.

dallas
10-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I had a lightened flywheel in my 3.5 altima While it felt amazing when accelerating in gear, felt better than the cai and headers together, when I went to the drag strip I was consistantly 1 tenth slower, even though the car felt much faster. I think while power shifting the mass of the lighter flywheel would not propel the car forward. The same way a lighter crank pulley makes the car feel much faster if you run at the track or have a G-tech you may be suprized with the results.

at3GG
10-31-2008, 11:47 AM
what is this 0-60 in 3 shifts all about? The top of 2nd is 60 if not 61, as I know Loren...? stated. Even if it wasn't...start in 1st...shift to second....shift to third=2 shifts.
Anyways....dallas, that doesnt really make any sense to me, hopefully someone can elighten us.

CASTREX
10-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Top of 2nd gear is 60mph on a standard US spec Yaris Tranny...

If you have a shorter Final Drive or a different tranny then you need to shift to 3rd to reach the 60mph.

That's what the signature is about.... :wink:

at3GG
11-01-2008, 05:56 PM
yeah but 1st to second=1 shift second to third=2nd shift =TWO shifts lol
i guess they're considering putting it in gear before starting off a shift?? if its considered a shift then I concede.

Sabretooth
11-01-2008, 10:59 PM
US Transmission shifts to 60 in second gear. I have a coupple vids that I am gonna post up soon of a 0-60 time you can note only 2 shifts.

cali yaris
11-02-2008, 07:14 PM
hitting 60 in 2nd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk1YYkwOGtI

SOooooo... back to the topic, where the hell is this kit that was going to be ready in a week or two???

TheRealEnth
11-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Well He has started a new thread about it. With some pics. One of the threads say FEB tho...