PDA

View Full Version : Panel painting fading?

KSIbucky
09-06-2007, 12:00 AM
I bought paint a while back to paint my dash panels but I'm affraid to do it because of faiding or color problems has anyone experienced this i dont wanna repaint

mikeukrainetz
09-07-2007, 02:23 PM
I painted mine but didnt like the colour / texture the first time so I repainted - must be at least 5-6 months ago now. No fading or problems so far.

ECHOKnight2000
09-07-2007, 03:14 PM
I bought paint a while back to paint my dash panels but I'm affraid to do it because of faiding or color problems has anyone experienced this i dont wanna repaint

What brand? I guess if you want to be safe, sand but with FINE grit wet sand paper. Then primer, then put at least 3 coats of paint. Two thin and one thick. I used Duplicolor which has paint specifically for fabric or dash boards. I used it to accent the dash board. I had to repaint some cause I didn't sand, primer, reason is (well lazy) but more cause their paint has a self-adhesion promtor so you don't need to but it wouldn't hurt. They sell a separate adhesion promotor for paint. Make sure its safe for the dash. Also wash the parts you plan to paint. Cause if you paint with dust or dirt it won't stick and it will be a mess. That's what I did, I cleaned with soap the parts I did. I just repainted my center stack in my ECHO, but that's not the paint more myself. Because the first time the masking wasn't the greatest so when I pulled off the tape it took some paint so I had spots of paint that was off. So I colored it with magic marker (sharpie), yeah I'm insane but it worked cause they had the color. Since it was a small spot you couldn't tell it was marker but under certain light you can. Anyway I repainted and this time took everything that I didn't want paint on off. If you click on my username and see my garage you can see what I'm talking about. Hope that works out!

phenylhydride
09-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Plastic can be difficult to paint. For exterior plastic parts (which are similar to interior plastic parts I'd imagine), the recommended procedures all also involve preparing the surface with this special plastic anti-static cleaner. Also the adhesion promoter is very important I'm told only if you're painting on UNPAINTED plastic parts (just the bare plastic that hasn't been painted before). Also, I'd think it'd take some time for the paint to fade from the sun noticeably with average sun exposure (like on the order of years).

Ferret_san
09-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Found this link @ TorqueCars
http://www.torquecars.com/styling/plastic-painting.php

Simple, basic steps. Extrract below - More info in the link....Hope it helps

Stage 1 – Preparation
Remove whatever part you plan to paint. Be careful not to scratch or damage it, you’ll only be making yourself more work.
Once you have removed the part, start by washing it with the soapy water/solvent cleaner. This removes grease, dust or any other contaminates. If there is any damage to the part, now would be the time to sort it. Next start to ‘key’ the part, making sure there are no shiny areas left on it, the better you do this, the less likely the paint it to flake later. Once you have ‘keyed’ the part, wash it again. Make sure it is thoroughly dry before proceeding.

Stage 2 – Painting
First apply the plastic primer.You may need to apply 3/4 coats of plastic primer, but you can use a hairdryer to speed the process of drying.

Once the plastic primer is dry it’s time to apply the basecoat. Depending on the colour, it may take anything from 3 to 8 coats to cover.

Apply the lacquer.Apply this the same way as the basecoat gradually building up the thickness of the lacquer.
Leave the part for a good 3 or 4 hours before you try to polish and re-fit it.

death is my gift
09-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Okay, I totally want to paint my interior now.

Ferret_san
09-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Okay, I totally want to paint my interior now.

... and now a quick lesson on how NOT to paint the interior of your car :wink:

black2yaris
09-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Wow that's Cool ....How'd you do that ?

eTiMaGo
09-08-2007, 02:59 AM
The airbag deployed, I think that car hit something with opened cans of paint at the back, and the force of the impact made it splash all over the place? :laugh:

Ferret_san
09-08-2007, 03:07 AM
Yep..
A Guy (not me) was travelling with an unsecured load in the back (paint tins) and was involved in an accident.
In the process, the paint lids came off, covering the inside with paint.

Here another...
(Sorry KSIbucky I didn't mean to hijack your thread..)

eTiMaGo
09-08-2007, 04:30 AM
that's what I call making a splash!