PDA

View Full Version : Yaris cross-country trip preparation (Philly to LA)

carlgt1
09-06-2007, 08:47 AM
I just bought a new Yaris the other day, and was planning to take it on a cross-country trip the other day using the "Atlantic Coast" & "Southern Pacific" & "Route 66" routes from the Road Trip USA book (http://roadtripusa.com)

Does anybody know anything special I could do for the car; I know in the old days they said let it "run in" for 500 miles local driving before big trips (I'm on 150 now), maybe change the oil before the big trip (as particulates from the new components in the first 1000 miles accrue etc) -- but don't know if this is outdated.

Any advice would be appreciated! I plan to make it a "leisurely" trip, i.e. doing the 3500 miles (not a straight route!) over 14 days, and favoring more scenic routes rather than superhighways like I-95 etc.

Thanks!

YarisTom73
09-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Good lord, there are ten thousand opinions on how to, or whether to break in your vehicle. At the very least, follow your handbook.
Do your search on here; you'll find more opinions than you care to read, I'm sure. My advice: go synthetic. That's all I'll say, beating this dead horse.
Good luck, be safe :biggrin:

carlgt1
09-06-2007, 10:50 AM
ha, ok, I thought there was some consensus on this topic by now! :-)