PDA

View Full Version : Induction with an Auto-Trans.

Sweet Mercury
09-06-2007, 01:24 PM
I understand that it is inadvisable to put a turbocharger on a car with automatic transmission. My question is regarding and products which assist in a more effective passive induction. I remember years ago seeing a product that could be put into the intake which supposedly channeled air more effectively and got a little more "umph" out of the engine.

Of course, I can't remember the product's name, but I was hoping maybe you guys might know, or know of something similar?

I'm not a performance freak, but if I can spend a bit of money and get a little more something out of the engine it would be nice.

Or is any of these performance enhancers detrimental/warranty-voiding to my transmission?

staticorex
09-06-2007, 01:38 PM
The tranny can support FI either turbo or sc. But only so much. If you are thinking of adding significant hp I would upgrade the tranny. I replaced the torque converter and gears as well as had a hydrolic upgrade on the valve body for my Altima to prepare it for turbo. Check out level 10 to see whats out there. I would think these cars can handle 150whp without tranny work but I am not a mech and ZPI of course claims theirs can handle the 179whp.

punch
09-06-2007, 07:09 PM
I understand that it is inadvisable to put a turbocharger on a car with automatic transmission. My question is regarding and products which assist in a more effective passive induction. I remember years ago seeing a product that could be put into the intake which supposedly channeled air more effectively and got a little more "umph" out of the engine.

Of course, I can't remember the product's name, but I was hoping maybe you guys might know, or know of something similar?

I'm not a performance freak, but if I can spend a bit of money and get a little more something out of the engine it would be nice.

Or is any of these performance enhancers detrimental/warranty-voiding to my transmission?

what????

I bought my pt cruiser gt, with automatic and factory turbo, !!!! it ran fine until i bumped up the psi!!!!

Sweet Mercury
09-06-2007, 08:49 PM
what????

I bought my pt cruiser gt, with automatic and factory turbo, !!!! it ran fine until i bumped up the psi!!!!

It's not the turbo itself that's the problem, but the boost in engine output that the transmission might not be designed to handle.

punch
09-07-2007, 07:01 PM
It's not the turbo itself that's the problem, but the boost in engine output that the transmission might not be designed to handle.

YOU WROTE: "I understand that it is inadvisable to put a turbocharger on a car with automatic transmission"

and I provided proof that even the factories add them, so your wrong.

Sweet Mercury
09-08-2007, 02:37 AM
YOU WROTE: "I understand that it is inadvisable to put a turbocharger on a car with automatic transmission"

and I provided proof that even the factories add them, so your wrong.

I didn't say that automatic cars were never shipped with turbos, I said that throwing one into a car with an automatic not intended to handle the extra/different power levels wasn't recommended. If the Yaris' transmission is built to handle more horsepower than the engine by itself then I suppose one can be thrown in without any problem.

Of course, I don't own a PT Cruiser. I own a Yaris. Does it stand to reason that what worked for the PT would work for the Yaris?

punch
09-08-2007, 12:05 PM
so why would a yaris with standard hold up any better, then an automatic??

staticorex
09-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah. If a car comes pre-FI it is designed to handle that hp.

But when you take an econbox that is ment for 90whp and drop a 100whp turbo into it the tranny may not be durable enough.

Just as if you boosted extra psi on an already forced inducted auto. Each tranny has its limits.

Unless you know what ours is already, it is advisable to either add small reasonable hp or reinforce the tranny as insurance.

Again, lvl 10 is a co. I have dealt with. Pro torque is another.