PDA

View Full Version : A tire attacked my car!

DeliciousYaris2007
09-13-2007, 02:58 PM
That's right. I was passing a semi and behind a blue Corolla about 2 car links (I know, too close.... but in my defense, I wanted to get by the semi asap) when this tread just popped up and attacked my poor Yaris!

It was no one's fault :( No one else stopped. Once I got to work, I realized that the whole front end (front panel and the grill) needed to be completely replaced due to all the cracks, and then apparently the tread went under and whipped up causing two dents about the size of a fist in the rocker panel and the passenger door.

This all happened about a month ago. I just got the check from the insurance company YESTERDAY! The total cost is about $1,500ish, I have to pay the $500 deductible. I called Toyota today, she'll be getting fixed starting Monday :)

landrym28
09-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Sorry to hear about that! Nice to see that the car will be good to go later on! :thumbsup:

swng
09-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Sorry to learn about that. Glad that apparently you are OK. Today's roads are full of hazards. Defensive driving may help a little bit:smile:.

Kaotic Lazagna
09-14-2007, 12:16 AM
crazy, very sorry to hear that.

DeliciousYaris2007
09-14-2007, 01:51 AM
I'm actually going to take a defensive driving course to lower my insurance. Apparently it's the only thing I can do that will really be worth it. $140/year in savings for 3 years I believe. I can't do anything physically to the car though that will matter :(

Kind of funny thing though, is that there was a gaurd rail to my left, if I had swerved any farther, that would have been the whole drivers side of my car screwed up. I swerved, which only created the damages on the passenger side, I am sure if I hadn't it would have gone up the middle, probably taken out my front window (which would have been released for free... I still don't think it'd be worth it)...

*sigh*

After I get it fixed, I'll post pics of her all pretty again, lol

Kaotic Lazagna
09-14-2007, 02:38 AM
i believe if you have a car alarm in NY, you get a discount. at least with State Farm insurance you do. i just know that NY gets a lot more discounts than Cali (State Farm).

DeliciousYaris2007
09-14-2007, 02:45 AM
I'd get $5 a year off.... I called today and asked. :(

sherryberry
09-14-2007, 12:58 PM
My dad's been with State farm for a looong time and I've been on his policy so I get pretty low insurance with them. plus, I've been accident free for like 5 years or so so that definitely helped.

And I don't report everything to them :smile: If it's not that big of a damage, I wouldn't bother.

There was one time I was driving down this one lane street cuz of construction and it's one lane on both sides... this stupid metal/steel round thingie fell off of the truck going the opposite direction and it hit my car's front. I couldn't swerve or anything 'cuz it came down so fast. I was just glad I wasn't even closer since it probably could have hit me...

DeliciousYaris2007
09-14-2007, 11:17 PM
My dad's been with State farm for a looong time and I've been on his policy so I get pretty low insurance with them. plus, I've been accident free for like 5 years or so so that definitely helped.

And I don't report everything to them :smile: If it's not that big of a damage, I wouldn't bother.

There was one time I was driving down this one lane street cuz of construction and it's one lane on both sides... this stupid metal/steel round thingie fell off of the truck going the opposite direction and it hit my car's front. I couldn't swerve or anything 'cuz it came down so fast. I was just glad I wasn't even closer since it probably could have hit me...

If it had been just a little ding, I wouldn't have bothered. This is cracks, and the passenger side of the front panel was pushed back enough that one of the pins popped through :(

swng
09-15-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm actually going to take a defensive driving course to lower my insurance. Apparently it's the only thing I can do that will really be worth it. $140/year in savings for 3 years I believe. I can't do anything physically to the car though that will matter :(

Kind of funny thing though, is that there was a guard rail to my left, if I had swerved any farther, that would have been the whole drivers side of my car screwed up. I swerved, which only created the damages on the passenger side, I am sure if I hadn't it would have gone up the middle, probably taken out my front window (which would have been released for free... I still don't think it'd be worth it)...

*sigh*

After I get it fixed, I'll post pics of her all pretty again, lol

Seems that you have done your best to avoid the accident becoming worse. Also, good to know that the defensive driving course you are preparing to take can help reduce your insurance costs. Go for it!
Though it appears that you are not at fault, it may still be necessary to make sure that the insurance premium will not be raised if you file a claim. If in fact the premium will be raised, or a discount that should otherwise become due soon will become not due, the net effect will be that you are actually paying for all or a big part of the repair work yourself, considering that you already need to pay the deductible amount.
Wish you all the best!

DeliciousYaris2007
09-15-2007, 05:10 AM
Seems that you have done your best to avoid the accident becoming worse. Also, good to know that the defensive driving course you are preparing to take can help reduce your insurance costs. Go for it!
Though it appears that you are not at fault, it may still be necessary to make sure that the insurance premium will not be raised if you file a claim. If in fact the premium will be raised, or a discount that should otherwise become due soon will become not due, the net effect will be that you are actually paying for all or a big part of the repair work yourself, considering that you already need to pay the deductible amount.
Wish you all the best!

So far, it looks like my insurance stayed steady. $147/mo. I actually have to call them and get the payment in Monday come to think of it, lol. I should probably ask what will happen if I get into another accident (say a deer or something)...

joe keeney
09-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Truckers running cheap recaps. Just wait till the mexican trucks come to your town.

swng
09-16-2007, 12:01 AM
So far, it looks like my insurance stayed steady. $147/mo..............
Good! I tend to think that you should not be blamed for the accident anyway and apparently you have not been. IMHO it is quite obvious that bad luck caused it. I hope, though, debris on the roads (like broken tires) get cleared away as soon as possible by the parties concerned.
No accident can be good but look at the bright side, a minor accident may make you become even more alert on the road in the future, helping you avoid another accident. Do watch out for deers:laugh:!
Best wishes!

xpeteyjtx
09-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Is the trucking company responsible for these types of damages?

DeliciousYaris2007
09-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Is the trucking company responsible for these types of damages?

Right. My problem was I didn't know where the truck was.

Yesterday on my way to work I almost got into another accident. 3 lane highway, and the guy in the middle hand to come into my lane right as I was about to pass him because of some big white metal looking object in his lane. Scared the crap out of me.

I'm beginning to hate passing people, lol. I called 911 and told them about the random object and apparently they already had someone heading out to get rid of it.

They're out to get my Yaris!!! >.< haha

sherryberry
09-17-2007, 12:08 PM
lol they just want some loving from ya hehe

DeliciousYaris2007
09-17-2007, 04:38 PM
lol they just want some loving from ya hehe

I'm not masochistic, neither is my poor Yaris >.< haha

Astroman
09-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Yesterday on the way home on the freeway I saw a smaller wooden crate (almost looked like an unpainted ammo box) busted open on the side of the road. I was in the left lane passing some other cars and a truck kicked up what looked to be a large metal strap which came into my lane and I promptly ran over, making two loud bangs under the car. I have yet to check out the damage (if any). Hoping there isn't. :frown:

DeliciousYaris2007
09-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Yesterday on the way home on the freeway I saw a smaller wooden crate (almost looked like an unpainted ammo box) busted open on the side of the road. I was in the left lane passing some other cars and a truck kicked up what looked to be a large metal strap which came into my lane and I promptly ran over, making two loud bangs under the car. I have yet to check out the damage (if any). Hoping there isn't. :frown:

Aw :( You should get on that. I probably have to get my undercoating (zbart) touched up due to that stupid tire...

DeliciousYaris2007
09-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I might get yelled at for responding to my own thread twice in a row...buuuuut:

Took my Yaris in yesterday to get it fixed, everything went A-Okay. I am now driving a 2007 Camry LE, Charcoal color until sometime on Thursday. The ONLY negative thing about it is that it gulps the gas down :( Other then that, I can't believe I could drive in such luxury, lol.

I still miss my baby :( lol

Astroman
09-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Aw :( You should get on that. I probably have to get my undercoating (zbart) touched up due to that stupid tire...

I inspected my car yesterday and thankfully noticed no damage to the car. Seems like the metal piece hit my mid megan tie bar as I noticed a scratch on it. Whew :smile:

DeliciousYaris2007
09-18-2007, 09:44 PM
I inspected my car yesterday and thankfully noticed no damage to the car. Seems like the metal piece hit my mid megan tie bar as I noticed a scratch on it. Whew :smile:

Happy to hear that it wasn't worse :smile:

DeliciousYaris2007
09-24-2007, 11:41 AM
I got her back, all pretty and new like :D Gotta wax her tonight or tomorrow. woo!

sherryberry
09-24-2007, 11:47 AM
yay! i need to wash and wax my car soon too.. so much dirt..