PDA

View Full Version : Would you like an Amp to go with that??

Terrorize
07-10-2006, 02:44 AM
Hey guys...i'm the new guy in town so to speak....

I had my Yaris for about 2 weeks...and just got a new Pioneer Headunit installed...with my older Sony Speakers...i also had and Sony amp and also a 1/2 farad Cap....my installer told me i don't really need those things...he installed the deck and the speakers already and says the deck amp is sufficient to power my speakers...

I'll get all the model #'s and specs for all the guru's here...plus pics on the way too!

Terrorize
07-10-2006, 03:00 AM
Ok this is my setup at the moment...

Front Speakers: Sony Xplod XS-V1640H 6-1/2"
Rear Speakers: Sony Xplod XSV6930A 6" x 9"
Deck: Pioneer DEH-6800MP http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10071355&catid=21981

Need to get the model # of the amp still.....

bigsky2
07-10-2006, 04:51 AM
Ideally, if you are going for a true audiophile setup, the main speakers should always be powered by an external amp.

I believe your deck has three pre-outs, so you could use a dedicated amp for the two front speakers, another dedicated amp for the rear speakers, and of course, a dedicated amp for the subwoofer.

This is the expensive route, but will make all your components sound much better. It will require you to purchase two or more amps, and will also require extensive routing of wires and cables to accomodate the speakers and amps. We also cannot forget that the amps need to be placed somewhere appropriately, and three amps will require some custom application depending on where you place them.

Your installer is correct, the deck has sufficient power to run all the main speakers, so you probably only really need a dedicated amp to run a subwoofer if you plan to add one later.

Not to say that your speakers are bad, but Sony Xplods when powered by a dedicated amp, may not have a significant improvement than if powered by the deck. Best thing to do is to hook up an amp, connect your front speakers to the amp, and listen to the improvement of the FRONT speakers only (do not include the rear speakers in the listening test). Do the same thing for the rear and listen for improvement. If you feel that the improvement is great, than by all means consider installing a dedicated amp(s) for the main speakers.

You can get away with using one dedicated amplifier to power four speakers, but will require a bit of creativity on your part. Again, this might not sound as good as a dedicated setup for each pair.

Higher end component speakers should ideally be powered a dedicated amp to bring out the full capabilities of the speaker.