PDA

View Full Version : just completed cross-country trip (Philly to Newport Beach CA)

carlgt1
09-24-2007, 12:08 PM
I was very impressed by the performance and comfort of the Yaris on this trip. It was the biggest trip I've ever done -- 3200 miles via the "Appalachian Trail" route and the "Southern Pacific" route of the Road Trip USA book (which I highly recommend, website http://roadtripusa.com )

I kept pretty detailed records of my gas and mileage and most of the trip (I have a 2007 automatic trans Yaris), not using air conditioning I was averaging about 42 mpg! It dropped a bit to about 38mpg as I got in the southwest and it got hot so I had the A/C on quite a bit.

A lifesaver was my tomtom satnav/gps and my Sirius satellite radio. It was nice hearing "continual" music without having to change the station for a better signal. here are some pics taken from within our just outside the Yaris! :-)

YarisTom73
09-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Awesome man, I hope to someday make the same trek. I love the way the land looks in those pics, such a far cry from where I grew up (Maine!). Glad to see you made it :thumbsup:

ddongbap
09-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Man. Driving to Vegas was though enough for me. Cross country would kill me.

YarisTom73
09-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Just find me all the Dunkin' Donuts' across the nation, and I'm set to go :laugh:

carlgt1
09-24-2007, 04:22 PM
I should also mention I'm a big guy who took a lot of luggage (as I may be staying out here if I find some computer work) -- and the Yaris was fine with the 500 lbs "payload" (I think they say 850 lbs max?) and the gas mileage was still great. I would have though I would be exhausted & sick of driving after this big trip but I feel pretty good -- I targetted 350-400 miles per day although one day I felt good and did 810 miles in a day!

I also should mention it was quite an attention getter -- little kids at Carlsbad Caverns shouting "wow what a cool car" when I drove in; a couple riding Harleys across Texas; and not least when I got pulled over by a cop in North Carolina for a $150 ticket :-( (although he did have a funny question as he wrote up my ticket, "is that one of them thar hybrid cars?")

vacantj
09-24-2007, 07:32 PM
wow sounds like a long trip..

contraband831
09-24-2007, 10:19 PM
sounds like fun, I love long road trips, might try a cross-country one next time :)