PDA

View Full Version : Window Tinting Precaution!

PolarWhite
09-25-2007, 07:37 PM
For those who are going to have your windows tinted. Beware!! They use a soap and water mixture to get the tint on the window correctly. Make sure they place something over the door panel to catch the run off from this mixture. Mine was already tinted when I bought it from the dealer. I had no say in the matter. My plastic door panels have streaks in them from the mixture of soap and water running down them. I have tried Sprayway and a mixture of vinegar and water to get it off with no luck. Just watch out when having them tinted.

staticorex
09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Try some ivory soap and water. The old stuff if you can find some. My painter swears by it and it's too mild to make things worse. :)

PetersRedYaris
09-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Mine has those same streaks on the plastic and I also cannot get them off. The wierd thing is that they were there before I had my windows tinted. Perhaps it's like that from the factory or from the dealer cleaning the car before it is placed on the lot. :iono: Just a thought.

cute_lil_yaris
09-26-2007, 12:40 AM
For those who are going to have your windows tinted. Beware!! They use a soap and water mixture to get the tint on the window correctly. Make sure they place something over the door panel to catch the run off from this mixture. Mine was already tinted when I bought it from the dealer. I had no say in the matter. My plastic door panels have streaks in them from the mixture of soap and water running down them. I have tried Sprayway and a mixture of vinegar and water to get it off with no luck. Just watch out when having them tinted.

Definitely thanx for the heads up!! I plan on getting my windows tinted this weekend. Ill will be sure to let them know to cover my panels!

cm07yaris
09-26-2007, 01:29 PM
I have the EXACT same problem...althought I didn't notice if it was there before the tint...is it on the inside of the hatch also?

PolarWhite
09-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Maybe it isn't from the tint. Maybe there is a problem from the factory. I just figured it was from the tinting process. I know how they do it. Maybe it isn't.

jamal1984
09-26-2007, 03:29 PM
that is absolutely not from the tint soap and water, soap and water won't kill the dash board, there is no way, if there are streaks, you can use any Dashboard Protectant to clean it and it's will shine up real good.

Ferret_san
09-27-2007, 02:45 AM
PolarWhite, any chance you could throw up a picture of how bad the damage is ???

PolarWhite
09-27-2007, 12:01 PM
It might be hard to capture even on a digital camera. It isn't that bad, and I am very particular about my car. It is something that I can get over, just curious as to how it got there.

wiley1330
09-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Its the cheap plastic they use for the car. I tapped mine off like painting a wall and it worked well. No marks and Blue tape comes off quick

swidd
04-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Would it be advisable to remove the interior door panels before tinting?

staticorex
04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Wow. Bringing back and old thread huh? :laugh:

You shouldn't have to. If you have a bad place doing your windows just bring a towel to wipe off the soap that gets on your trim. But I never had a problem after having mine tinted.

The guy who started this may have had the soap water left on his trim for hours or days which can cause the problem he had. As long as it doesn't sit and dry you should be fine.

Klumzyee
04-07-2011, 05:08 PM
It's not just soapy water.. some tinters use some weird stuff like alcohol, baby lotion, etc.. So I'd recommend bringing a microfiber with some quick detail to clean up the plastic door panels asap.. if you have a black a black door panel and have streaks try using detailing product called "BACK TO BLACK" work that into the plastic and let it cure. Should be like new..

staticorex
04-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Well that would explain it. Alcohol wouldn't be a good thing to leave on the door panels. If my tinters were using stuff like that I would go someplace else.

Klumzyee
04-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Well that would explain it. Alcohol wouldn't be a good thing to leave on the door panels. If my tinters were using stuff like that I would go someplace else.
All tinters use something different or similar.. Example Alcohol dries quicker so for some cars with dot matrix's that are difficult to tint a solution that dries faster would look so much better and dry time of bubbles are reduced..

Seriously if I just clean your windows with soapy water and a razor blade and cut and paste some tint on you wouldn't be paying +$100 to tint your car :cool:

Don't go around asking tinters what they use either.. lol it's like asking Lawry's chef how they make their cream corn..

staticorex
04-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I would. Have you ever tried putting that stuff up yourself? It's a pain in the ass. I'd gladly pay a professional a couple hundred dollars to have it done well in half an hour opposed to me spending all day on it and having bubbles and uneven lines. :laugh:

Klumzyee
04-07-2011, 06:30 PM
I would. Have you ever tried putting that stuff up yourself? It's a pain in the ass. I'd gladly pay a professional a couple hundred dollars to have it done well in half an hour opposed to me spending all day on it and having bubbles and uneven lines. :laugh:

haha yeah u needa be delicate with it =]

IsLNdbOi
04-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Another warning: Don't let them cut the film on your window / glass.

On my very first car, the tinting place would put a piece of film over the glass and cut it to the right shape and size right on the glass. They ended up scratching some of my windows.

The place I go to now has a machine and computers that cut the film the proper shape and size for whatever car they're going to tint.

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
04-08-2011, 09:31 AM
there's a service bulletin on this subject through TIS.....

jamal1984
04-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Another warning: Don't let them cut the film on your window / glass.

On my very first car, the tinting place would put a piece of film over the glass and cut it to the right shape and size right on the glass. They ended up scratching some of my windows.

The place I go to now has a machine and computers that cut the film the proper shape and size for whatever car they're going to tint.

this is wrong info, professional tinter will put the tints outside of the windows, and they will make a marks on the tint, they will not cut the tint on your car.

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
04-08-2011, 11:45 AM
this is wrong info, professional tinter will put the tints outside of the windows, and they will make a marks on the tint, they will not cut the tint on your car.

WRONG, professional tinter WOULD HAVE machine that cuts tint like this guy:

http://www.samswindowtinting.com/.........:thumbsup:

staticorex
04-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Edit: Oh you meant cut, not put.

Yeah, I've never had a tint place cut the tint on my windows. That's just stupid.

jamal1984
04-08-2011, 04:25 PM
WRONG, professional tinter WOULD HAVE machine that cuts tint like this guy:

http://www.samswindowtinting.com/.........:thumbsup:

talking about the one whoever do it right without the machine.
Nothing wrong with using the machine or freecut by hand, as long you know what you are doing, then you will never mess up the window or the paint coat if you do free cut by hands. :thumbsup:

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
04-08-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH TIP: T-TT-0021-10 is for this subject.....

IsLNdbOi
04-11-2011, 02:25 AM
It's not wrong info. if it has actually happened to me. I went to a tint place that was recommended by my dealership and that's what I saw when they were doing the tint on one of our cars.

I take mine cars now to a place that has a computer and machine cut the tint.

.Kevin.
04-11-2011, 04:06 AM
is this streaky crap white?

LugNut
07-04-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm doing a bunch of planned mods, including tinting the windows. Got a precut kit for all windows (except windshield) for $26 including shipping from eBay seller "tint-pro". Fitting well, except for the tiny door glass, they were slightly too tall. I still need to do the back glass.

But, as mentioned in this thread, removing the side and door panels is a good thing. And a great time to change-out the speakers if you haven't done so already.

Fair warning: the doors' glass is very large and compound so requires a bit of the preshrinking of the tint to avoid fingers. Back window will require a lot.

matthewai
07-20-2012, 11:24 AM
yo yo

i have a prob with my driver window tint. its starting to peel a little bit at the bottom (you can kinda see in the pic). now i know eventually its gonna come off at this point so im pretty mad, but my question is if i maybe cut the tint where its peeling would that maybe stop it ? or at least make it last a little longer?

if anyone has any input thatd be just grey.
thanks

07-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Super Bump!!!

Take it to a tint shop they should be able to do one window for less than $50.00

matthewai
07-22-2012, 12:14 AM
yeah true 1.5 but im just tryin to diy at the moment. anyone else think itll work? i might just try it soon but i wanna get any opinions before i do it

nookandcrannycar
07-22-2012, 03:14 AM
Pardon the duplication if this has been resolved in a previous thread. Toyota's distributorship in Texas (Gulf States) had a tint option where the Yaris comes to the dealership so equipped. I assume it is similar to the rear window on some Toyota trucks where the glass itself is actually tinted. If so, does this option on the Yaris also include all of or at least the back two side windows? Also, is the level of this tint the darkest allowed by law in Texas....and if not, then what would be the best way to go to get the darkest tint allowed by law in Texas on all windows except the windshield? I don't know if this 'pre dealership' level of tint is available from any other distributor besides Gulf States, but I know it is not available from all distributoers.