PDA

View Full Version : scion header interchange?

bladesmith6
07-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know if the any of the 4-2-1 headers available for the XA or XB will fit on our configuration? I have the lift back and was thinking their is a chance since they are the same engine after all. Please chime in if anyone has looked into this or tried to test fit any of them.:burnrubber:

Moose
07-14-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure if the O2 bungs are in the same places or not, but if that is not a problem, and there is nothing in the way, it should fit- you would need to have a custom exhaust fabricated, though.

HanSel
07-14-2006, 05:06 PM
yea what he said

if it all fits and there is nothing in the way, they you might have to cut or extend the exhaust pipe so that it doesnt hide or stick out of the bumper..assuming the cars arent the same length.. im not sure.

Chris07LB
07-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Are the Scion guys really seeing worth while gains out of a different header?

Im guessing with intake, catback, etc., it that much more noticable, but what about just the header by itself? :iono:

HanSel
07-14-2006, 06:23 PM
probably not. youd have to get the whole setup to feel a real difference, unless your butt dyno is really good.

from a catback, youd only gain like 3 or so hp..its not that noticeable.

Moose
07-15-2006, 08:28 AM
With a decent I/H/E setup, you may see 8-10 hp to the wheels- maybe. Be prepared, though, for a loss of torque on the low end.

soros151
07-15-2006, 05:40 PM
You will see a lose of low end torque depending on the setup you have. If you go too big on the intake pipe or the exhaust pipe diameter, then you will see a loss of torque.

ChinoCharles
07-17-2006, 12:25 PM
That kind of sucks. Torque is the thing this car lacks the most. Someone put individual throttle bodies on a Yaris and post a how-to. It would be the meanest n/a economy car on earth.

Snake
07-17-2006, 02:27 PM
go with 2.25" piping and you wont see any loss of anything
just get rid of the 2 cat setup and install only 1 high flow cat with no resonators, just a muffler at the end of the setup to free up some hp
you will notice a big gain to aid with the header install

soros151
07-17-2006, 03:58 PM
I say about 6 to 10 hp on the Yaris.

NichO
08-29-2006, 01:43 PM
SO..........

Does anyone know if SCION xB HEADERS fit a YARIS 06??
Has anyone tried it?

I've looked the engine bay but it seems that the headers are a bit to the passenger side comparing to a YARIS 2004 2NZ-FE (from CHILE)...

At least the 2NZ-FE and 1NZ-FE 2004 uses the exact same headers that Scion xB..

but a YARIS 2006??? are compatible? :confused: :confused:

THANKS!! :thumbsup:
Cheers from Chile
www.yarisclub.cl :headbang:

ChinoCharles
08-29-2006, 02:11 PM
I say about 6 to 10 hp on the Yaris.

6-10 hp on a 106 hp car is an enormous gain. Keep in mind that that piping is small for a FI setup and if you planned on throwing a turbo/supercharger on later you would be doing your exhaust allllll over again to see proper gains. Something to think about before going and having an exhaust custom fabbed.

riceboy
08-29-2006, 02:22 PM
SO..........

Does anyone know if SCION xB HEADERS fit a YARIS 06??
Has anyone tried it?

I've looked the engine bay but it seems that the headers are a bit to the passenger side comparing to a YARIS 2004 2NZ-FE (from CHILE)...

At least the 2NZ-FE and 1NZ-FE 2004 uses the exact same headers that Scion xB..

but a YARIS 2006??? are compatible? :confused: :confused:

THANKS!! :thumbsup:
Cheers from Chile
www.yarisclub.cl :headbang:

The short answer: No

NichO
08-29-2006, 03:44 PM
The short answer: No

:frown: that's bad news..
how do you know this?
a LONG answer would help :biggrin: .. im buying scion xb headers for a yaris 2006, help would be aprecciatted to know if i can close the deal :wink:
thanks

riceboy
08-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy
do you know if the DC header for the scion will fit the yaris?? i hear that its a nice piece.. and a lot less expensive than the TRD..

It will not, bolts up fine to the block but is not in proper line for the Yaris' exhaust.

NichO
08-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy
do you know if the DC header for the scion will fit the yaris?? i hear that its a nice piece.. and a lot less expensive than the TRD..

It will not, bolts up fine to the block but is not in proper line for the Yaris' exhaust.

THANKS FOR THAT INFO! :thumbup:

jmew0ng
08-30-2006, 01:19 AM
Bummer the headers don't fit... I felt a gain in torque in the echo(w/ scion headers ebay non-brand) It definately felt like it picked up quicker. :x I had stock exhaust with AEM cold air.. HP Wise.. I guess it "appeared" to increase top speed by a little.. but judgement was based on this mild downhill empty freeway (still comparing downhill stock vs downhill with mods) Upped top speed by like 3 mph'ish not too sure.. i just know it almost touched 115

RossP
08-30-2006, 06:16 AM
I know theres a header in development, cat back exhaust and lowering springs being developed by a US company atm

AE86Yaris
08-31-2006, 12:27 AM
That kind of sucks. Torque is the thing this car lacks the most. Someone put individual throttle bodies on a Yaris and post a how-to. It would be the meanest n/a economy car on earth.

this statement makes no sense

ChinoCharles
08-31-2006, 11:30 AM
Yeah, you're kind of right. I was probably stoned. Sorry.

soros151
08-31-2006, 07:01 PM

the car may suffer with an individual throttle body on the torque part, since maybe it will take so much air that head won't b able to keep up. There is already a follow up of individual throttle bodies for the xA and the xB.
http://scionevolution.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7172

There u go!

AE86Yaris
08-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Yeah, you're kind of right. I was probably stoned. Sorry.
there are 2 reason for Individual throttle bodies

1) to help idle a aggressive cam

2) to maximize a aggressive cam

i've driven 4age with ITBS and no cam upgrade and there have a lot less torque than my 4age with stock manifold and no cam. Unless the xA has some crazy camshaft it will see a loss in low end torque. ITBs are for those that only want extreme topend out of there engine, with little or no bottom end to speek of.

so basically stock camshafts have no need for ITBs and therefore it is only for show cars which is therefore linked with being lame, real car guys actually race.

dresden_k
09-17-2006, 04:30 PM
go with 2.25" piping and you wont see any loss of anything
just get rid of the 2 cat setup and install only 1 high flow cat with no resonators, just a muffler at the end of the setup to free up some hp
you will notice a big gain to aid with the header install

You want a 2.25" exhaust pipe on a car with a weak 1.5L engine?

2.25" is ideal for an engine with twice the horsepower. With a pipe that big you'll be making that stupid, ghetto "farting" noise all around town, and I imagine you'll lose power throughout most of the range. My H22A with headwork had a 2.5" exhaust and it farted from time to time. Too *little* backpressure.

My recommendation - 2" pipe at the MOST. If you get some turbo set up, 2.25" would work - even 2.5" at the extreme end of things. In the meantime, 2". I will agree that a single high flow cat is better than two OEM cats.

BulletProofAuto
09-18-2006, 01:07 AM
there is no "too large" piping diameter for turbo, as for n/a yes there is. i wouldn't go any larger then 56mm for piping with this motor. it seems as though most aftermarket companies are sticking to the 54mm diameter. everything has to do with exhaust velocity, you want optimum velocity...backpressure will only slow it down and force the engine to work harder to pump out the exhaust gases.

soros151
09-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Yhea, nothing its too big for a turbo. Go ahead use a a 5" diameter piping then.

heylookitsjames
09-18-2006, 10:05 PM
just run 18" runners on your ITB manifold and you wont lose any torque :wink:

DTM_Yaris
12-14-2006, 09:30 PM
there is no "too large" piping diameter for turbo, as for n/a yes there is. i wouldn't go any larger then 56mm for piping with this motor. it seems as though most aftermarket companies are sticking to the 54mm diameter. everything has to do with exhaust velocity, you want optimum velocity...backpressure will only slow it down and force the engine to work harder to pump out the exhaust gases.
Im sorry but this post is not quite right.

DTM_Yaris
12-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Yhea, nothing its too big for a turbo. Go ahead use a a 5" diameter piping then.
This one is very wrong. Exhaust theory still applies. Regardless of the fact that it has a hairdryer attached to it.

soros151
12-14-2006, 11:31 PM
This one is very wrong. Exhaust theory still applies. Regardless of the fact that it has a hairdryer attached to it.

Well, u would want the turbo to spool as fast as it can to achieve the boost u want. So there is no lag, if u don't believe me then, do the research, and then answer me back. It may not seem right, but u would need to deal with backpressure in N/A trim. For turbo, flow efficiency is the right point. Why do you think a 2.5" to 3" piping for a turbo tC (2.4) is a good idea? Because u need to let the turbo move the exhaust gasses faster to help spool time, also N/A needs thermal capacity in the piping to retain exhaust velocity, that's why backpressure is still needed. Go turbo... no need for too much backpressure since thermal capacity is there with the gases and temps from the turbo itself.

DTM_Yaris
12-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, u would want the turbo to spool as fast as it can to achieve the boost u want. So there is no lag, if u don't believe me then, do the research, and then answer me back. It may not seem right, but u would need to deal with backpressure in N/A trim. For turbo, flow efficiency is the right point. Why do you think a 2.5" to 3" piping for a turbo tC (2.4) is a good idea? Because u need to let the turbo move the exhaust gasses faster to help spool time, also N/A needs thermal capacity in the piping to retain exhaust velocity, that's why backpressure is still needed. Go turbo... no need for too much backpressure since thermal capacity is there with the gases and temps from the turbo itself.
I've done the research for many years. Actually since 1990. Ive been turbocharging for over a decade and a half. I am pretty sure I have seen and developed a few things in my time.
I think you are misunderstanding the term backpressure. There isn't an internal combustion powerplant in this or any world that wants or needs backpressure to make power.
If there is ANY backpressure in an exhaust system, then there is something wrong. Meaning something is clogged or capped. Completely restricting flow in one direction. Pressure "backing" up towards is original source.

Now exhaust capacity, harmonics, velocity, thermodynamics, etc are completely different terms to concider.
There is absolutely NO rule book on exhaust size or geometry. It needs to be mapped and trialed.
When FI guys discuss large diameter downpipes, it isn't to say bigger is better. On a typical turbo application bigger is NOT better. It is about differential pressure. The pressure on the inlet of the turbine in relation to the exit side of the turbine. The bigger the "downpipe" the better does not work. It makes absolutley no sense, because you still need velocity to get you thru the rest of the exhaust system as efficiently as possible. Of course without limiting capacity. The SIZE of the downpipe will depend on how much airflow you need to process thru the engine. That is the only determining factor. NA or not.

Normally NA engines like to be a bit more conservative on diameter because they need to scavenge thru the ports. Limiting, predicting and "organizing" the exhaust pulses in such a way as to increase volumetric efficiency. On some cylinder head designs with Identical displacement engines, primary runner and collector sizing can vary 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches.

Again there isn't any concrete "this is what you need for na" rulebook on exhaust systems.

DTM_Yaris
12-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Well, u would want the turbo to spool as fast as it can to achieve the boost u want. So there is no lag, .
It doesn't matter if you have absolutely NO EXHAUST you will NOT get rid of "lag".
It is inherent to the size and design of the turbocharger. It takes heat energy to spin the rotating mass.
Heat energy needs to expand on the turbine blade. Having a two inch downpipe and having a 5 inch downpipe will not get rid of "lag"
Boost threshold (turbo lag) is dependent on the engines ability to produce the required energy to spin the turbine.
Now CAN you decrease the "lag" time slightly with a better pressure differential? Yes you can. If the ENTIRE system that is on the car is restrictive. By increasing the size of the downpipe off the turbo, it can aid in quicker turbo response. Very mildy however.

soros151
12-15-2006, 01:30 AM
Well I posted earlier that it would not be wise to use anything TOO BIG, so there u go. While there isn't a guide, there are certain knows in performance. Experience, and reading, and reading and reading and studing helps a lot. Once u have gathered every bit of info, re-read everything and take unbacked knowledge (read: forums) as a grain of salt, yet take them into account like personal opinions and maybe builder tips.

Notthy[Yaris/S]07
12-16-2006, 05:02 PM
a friend who has a Yaris HB said to me that I install header to him of xB and single he had to modify cats and to put one high flow and ready

that is what I want to do.....

Chris07LB
12-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Get the Megan header MADE for your Yairs.

DTM_Yaris
12-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Get the Megan header MADE for your Yairs.
Yup what he said.

CASTREX
12-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Weapon R installed a Scion header on a Yaris with BAD results. You can look up for that thread.

Chris07LB
12-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Thats because IT DIDNT FIT. :rolleyes: