PDA

View Full Version : Q: How do you keep your paint perfect from the moment you drive off the lot?

xed
09-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi all. My 08 LB is on order and I don't have it yet but I've been thinking about it just the same and here is one of my main concerns.

I've read about the "thin paint" issue and I want to make sure that I do whatever I can do to try and avoid or minimize and scratching or chipping right from the start.

So here is my question. Imagine that you've just driven your brand new Yaris off the dealer's lot. What do you do asap to make sure that your paint is protected?

Basically I'm looking for a step 1 step 2 step 3 breakdown of "How do you keep your paint perfect from the moment you drive off the lot".

ty in advance.

black2yaris
09-29-2007, 02:57 AM
3M paint protection film on all forward facing surfaces keeps the rock chips from happening ....it ani't cheap ! but a whole lot cheaper than repainting , that & not parking next to others cars in tight lots ... or do what i do as the Yaris is soo short i park way forward / or backward in the stalls that the doors to other cars are not next to my sides of the car

Masteraal
09-30-2007, 07:40 PM
apart from the 3m paint protection film etc... i washed mine, clay bared all the gunk off it...(even for a new car it had a lot of imperfections) then polished and waxed it. it was worth the 3 hrs :)

nqd
09-30-2007, 08:02 PM
i cant afford 3m flims so i just do the same as masteraall...and park as far away from cars as possible....its been working for the past 5 month

RAGINGCUBAN
09-30-2007, 08:17 PM
This will help (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ZKIT-1&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=19)

Ferret_san
10-01-2007, 07:06 AM
....its been working for the past 5 month

Tick...tick...tick....tick.....tick....tick....
:wink:

Ferret_san
10-01-2007, 07:08 AM
apart from the 3m paint protection film etc... i washed mine, clay bared all the gunk off it...(even for a new car it had a lot of imperfections) then polished and waxed it. it was worth the 3 hrs :)

...Hope you rewashed it after the clay bar !

Masteraal
10-01-2007, 07:52 AM
nope :P i will next time tho :P

fnkngrv
10-01-2007, 09:45 AM
immediately drive your car home and place in a garage with a high quality car cover....cut holes for windows and you are set!

xed
10-01-2007, 10:30 AM
immediately drive your car home and place in a garage with a high quality car cover....cut holes for windows and you are set!

lol, even better I can leave it under a cover and just never drive it. Problem solved. :thumbup:

I guess the solution is to try and always maintain a good wax job, buy a 3M clear bra if you feel like it and then cross your fingers and don't tailgate dump trucks. Other than that I guess there's not much else I can do.

thatboyjer
10-24-2008, 06:03 AM
gahhh, i noticed my first paint chip in the front of my car, it'll eventually get you even if you park far away from everyone/everything >:\

there goes the 1 year streak

nemelek
10-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Don't tailgate! You might save rock chips from your windshield also. We are in the start of the magnesium cloride (salt) season for the icy roads. I try to keep the car washed as much as possible especially the under carriage.

Stargate YARlantIS
10-24-2008, 11:18 AM
I went 20 months w/ out a chip, then my boss' idiot son decides it would be funny to paint my windows w/ that window crap and ends up chipping the paint below the window on the back passenger side.....my boss' solution.. he paid for touch up paint... I wanted my whole car repainted...lol

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
10-24-2008, 11:26 AM
no way to keep perfect unless you don't drive it. one thing i do is to HANDWASH all the time and wax every 3rd wash......

marcus
10-24-2008, 01:29 PM
only one way.. dont drive ur car...

TEHxFALLEN V1.2
10-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Wash/detail your car everyday. That's what I do!

pixiedixie862
10-24-2008, 09:35 PM

thats exactly what i would have said.

floydisrock
10-24-2008, 09:38 PM
+1 on not driving the car.

Wax with good wax that lasts,preventing small scratches from micro fiber or cotton towels.
The more you wax,the more scratches you put into the paint,no matter how careful you are.
I use cheese cloth to remove the wax.

Slitwrist Smile
10-25-2008, 08:32 AM
avoid automatic car washes at all costs. nothing beats a handjob! (well.......)

that, and use the 2 bucket system or something called the "grit guard" basically, its a elevated peice of plastic, with rings, that sits up about 3 inches INSIDE your wash bucket - so that all dirt, and sedamint and debris, fall to the bottom of your wash bucket, and you are not PRESSING that stuff back into your paint.

-If you dont have one of these, your REALLY missing the boat
http://www.autobarn.net/gritguard.html

TEHxFALLEN V1.2
10-25-2008, 07:45 PM
OMFG I LOVE YOU! Even more stuff to add to my ever expanding collection of cleaning essentials!

MUSKOKA800
10-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Our paint is not very durable, every touch leaves a mark on my Nautical Blue.
I hope your's is white. Good Luck!

DerKaiZeRs
10-29-2008, 02:33 AM

ROFL :laughabove::laughabove:

Comment of the week! :headbang:

blktiger60
11-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Ya, wax it regularly.
Consider this though, it's a machine that you use everyday - it's bound to show wear. The trick is to not get overly emotional about it.

Retorical question: Do you freak out when your lawnmower gets dirty ?

:wink:

marcus
11-04-2008, 03:38 PM
ROFL :laughabove::laughabove:

Comment of the week! :headbang:

thank you thank you :biggrin:.. believe me i tried keeping this scratch free only within days i had some minor scratches already..

CCILovePinkCC
11-28-2008, 09:09 PM
I have had mine since October 6th and I don't have any real scratches or chips but I'm sure it will happen. If you drive your car at all, it's inevitable. I wash my car a lot (hand wash, never drive thru).

KCALB SIRAY
11-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Ride a bike

nemelek
11-29-2008, 02:38 PM
I'll park in the back of the lot at work. The extra 20 yards of walking has saved me from door dings.

yarisugi
11-30-2008, 02:13 AM
+2 on not driving your car.
I also try to avoid driving behind big rigs that kick out rocks on the road like missles.

CCILovePinkCC
12-03-2008, 09:39 AM
+2 on not driving your car.
I also try to avoid driving behind big rigs that kick out rocks on the road like missles.

Yeah, my hubby's windshield got a huge hole in it from that. We got it repaired right away so it didn't actually crack.