PDA

View Full Version : Snow removal

Sodium Duck
10-19-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm scared for winter to come. I hear the Yaris has thin paint, etc. Been talked about before on here.

What is the best way to de-ice/remove snow from the Yaris? Winter is sneaking up fast it feels like.

nypunk
10-19-2008, 09:52 PM
+1

1NZYaris1
10-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Use Rain X on your windows and turtle Ice polish on your paint work ,
and it should just fall off , or aleast it did for me :thumbup:

Or you could just wrap it up in a electric blanket

Bob_VT
10-19-2008, 10:18 PM
You know those blue plastic snow brooms? http://www.hvaa.com/snow_broom.htm I have one and it is great. When I worked at a dealership .... it was the only thing we used and it does not scratch. I have a black 4Runner too and I am particular about the finish.

The secret is only clean snow from a clean car. DO NOT clear the snow to the metal and leave a small amount on to melt off. If you try to clean to the bare finish ....regardless of what you use ..... you might scratch the paint because road dirt is on the car.

I also use a windshield cover called the Winter Warrior http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Expressions-5048114-Warrior-Windshield/dp/B000BYRHIS which is great. I have them for all three of my vehicles.

Sodium Duck
10-19-2008, 10:18 PM
I scratched the crud out of my old cars roof using my dads soft bristle push broom in the winter. The roof was practially rustedd through when I traded it in, lol.

I think I may turn into one of those jerks that just drives around with a foot of snow all over their car except for where the windshield wipers worked... lol

Sodium Duck
10-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Bob - 2 awesome tips. I really want to buy that snow broom. Looks like a great investment!

The windshield cover, I may just use a trash bag or something and prop my windshield wipers up. I've done it in the past at times when I knew we would be getting an ice storm and I didn't want to scrape the windshield in the morning.

PetersRedYaris
10-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Snow is no problem, it's the gravel they spread on ice covered roads that will cause rock chips...

Bob_VT
10-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Bob - 2 awesome tips. I really want to buy that snow broom. Looks like a great investment!

The windshield cover, I may just use a trash bag or something and prop my windshield wipers up. I've done it in the past at times when I knew we would be getting an ice storm and I didn't want to scrape the windshield in the morning.

Hey that winter warrior for the windshield is durable. I do like the snow broom but do not get too aggressive with it.

Snow is no problem, it's the gravel they spread on ice covered roads that will cause rock chips...

That is what I am talking about. It is the road sand and grime that sticks to the car then people try to clean off fresh snow and do paint damage.

CTScott
10-20-2008, 08:29 AM

Definitely! Here in Connecticut I have found that over the past few years the road sand seems to be less and less screened. I have had to replace windshields on all three of my cars (multiple times) and have some nasty nose paint chips. The 1/2" plus pebbles getting zinged at my car as the car in front of me picks one up in its tire tread and lauches it. I was talking with my insurance guy one day and he said he has noticed a significant increase in glass claims over the past couple of years.

BailOut
10-20-2008, 10:37 AM
and prop my windshield wipers up

I did not learn about this trick until I moved to the Reno/Tahoe area but it is wonderful. Along with a combination ice scraper and soft nylon brush thing with a padded rubber grip and a small snow shovel (to dig myself out of the ski area when they have to plow the parking lot after I arrive, or in case I ever get stuck in a snowbank on the drive over the mountain to work) I end up with more snow under the car than on it.

Ever since I added the OEM mud flaps on the amount of snow that accumulates under the car has diminished by a fair amount, though.

Bob_VT
10-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Ever since I added the OEM mud flaps on the amount of snow that accumulates under the car has diminished by a fair amount, though.

Good to know.....I have a set that I was going to install when I change over to the snow tires.... I was concerned if they permit MORE build-up of ice in the wheel wells.

freckles
10-21-2008, 02:28 AM
does anyone have a car cover that they like? I am pretty much just going to park my yaris in the driveway and walk everywhere when the snow comes, and would like a cover, but I'm not sure where to get one!

raz1121
12-22-2008, 01:26 PM
http://www.fishfurfeather.com/images/ferplast/85848899.jpg848899.jpg

BailOut
12-22-2008, 01:52 PM
^ ^ That sure was worth bumping a 2 month old post. :rolleyes:

ROCKLAND TOYOTA
12-22-2008, 03:55 PM
just use your little broom thing with soft bristles and you should be fine, plus once the car is heated it will slowly melt away, dont worry bout it
:laugh: those soft bristles will do wonders on your paint if your looking for scratches.