PDA

View Full Version : HELP tachometer problems!!!

SamDaYarisMan
07-21-2006, 07:58 AM
I installed a glowshift 2" tachometer yesterday and all was going well until i started it up. I immediately new something was wrong. It read that the car was idling at like 300 rpm's. I drove around and it just didn't feel right. It seemed to be registering about 3/4 of what the rpm's should have been. I tried to bring it up to close to redline :iono: and the darn thing pegged the rev limiter at 4k rpm's. Yes, i do have it set on the 4 cylinder selection and i attatched the green wire exactly where the other guy did in the DIY post. Please help, this is really annoying me!!!

SamDaYarisMan
07-21-2006, 11:22 AM
well after a little surfing on the net i discovered that an insufficient voltage can cause inaccuracies. I brought out the old volt meter and sure enough that was the case. Found a better supply and it is now accurate.

eight_heads
07-27-2006, 12:44 AM
glad you figured it out

captainzerocool
07-27-2006, 01:57 AM
Could you post a link to the tach you purchsed and installed?

eight_heads
07-27-2006, 10:45 PM
don't know about him but this is the one i have in my car http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=193

Chris07LB
07-28-2006, 09:23 AM
don't know about him but this is the one i have in my car http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=193

Do you have to adjust the color everytime, or does it have a preset memory?

SamDaYarisMan
07-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Captain, eight heads' link is the same one i got. chris, it does have a memory for the last color that was selected.

Chris07LB
07-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Captain, eight heads' link is the same one i got. chris, it does have a memory for the last color that was selected.

Thanks Sam. :smile:

captainzerocool
07-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks.

DollaZo
07-29-2006, 06:26 AM
SamDaYarisMan are there any photos as I am wanting to put a tacho in my Yaris and would like to see the final product.

SamDaYarisMan
07-29-2006, 09:19 AM
Heres a picture of the tach. Sorry about the low quality. I only had one chance to take a pic before the batteries died. I'll have to buy my own camera one of these days. If you guys are wondering about the non oem buttons on the arm rest...They are my aftermarket power window buttons. Also the gauge mount i found is pretty neat too..it has a swivel ball that enables it to be positioned however you want it, but it is also nice and tight so it doesnt move when i hit bumps.

costaricandreams
07-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Can you order a new instrument panel for a sedan with a tach from Toyota? Then swap it out with the existing one for a latchback? Your tach looks good and professionally installed, but it's a little aftermarket for my taste.

YamilR
08-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Heres a picture of the tach. Sorry about the low quality. I only had one chance to take a pic before the batteries died. I'll have to buy my own camera one of these days. If you guys are wondering about the non oem buttons on the arm rest...They are my aftermarket power window buttons. Also the gauge mount i found is pretty neat too..it has a swivel ball that enables it to be positioned however you want it, but it is also nice and tight so it doesnt move when i hit bumps.

Did you by any chance used this Universal Pod for your installation?

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=86

static808
08-30-2006, 01:22 AM
Can you order a new instrument panel for a sedan with a tach from Toyota? Then swap it out with the existing one for a latchback? Your tach looks good and professionally installed, but it's a little aftermarket for my taste.

i may be wrong, but i believe the casing/housing design is different for the sedan and liftback instrument clusters, so we cant just swap them. i was actually thinkin of gettin a jdm or euro liftback cluster with the tach and do a simple swap, but then i realized i didnt want to do km/h to mph conversions in my head ALL THE TIME! maybe i should do it and just tape up a little "miles to kilometers" conversion chart on one of the many nifty glove compartments.

--B

oscarying
08-30-2006, 01:59 AM
hey guys,i got a 2inch tacho too, i ve read the DIY tach install thread,but i still don't get it,there are 4 wires on my tacho(red,black,green,orange), i know where the red and black go,but i don't know where the orange and green to be linked,anyone can post picture and show me,and i believe the orange one is something like linking to the dimmer light?but where is the dimmer light connection???and where is the green one going ??and what equipment do i need to link those wires?
sorry about those noobie question

funkstrong
09-07-2006, 11:59 AM
They need an aftermarket tach kit that pops into that stock opening. I'd buy one! It seems like it would take 5 minutes to install too.

oscarying
09-08-2006, 02:26 AM
They need an aftermarket tach kit that pops into that stock opening. I'd buy one! It seems like it would take 5 minutes to install too.

where to buy?show me plx