View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #25
praivo

Drives: 2000 SCP10, 2001 NCP13
I haven't posted for a while, but I have been working on the car, so here's a quick update:

I have repaired multiple holes in the RR wheel well. I cut all the damaged metal out and used rust converter (phosphoric acid) on the remaining surface rust. Then I made a patch bigger than the hole, welded it on and gave it one coat of the Zn/Al primer on the top and the asphalt undercoating on the bottom. This was then sealed from both sides and painted again. The last step were two coats of black paint (which claims to prevent rust, but I don't really trust it, and zinc does it better anyway).

Tomorrow I'll sand and paint the rest and spray a bit more oil into the rocker panel. After that I should finally be able to put the plastic trim panels back on to prevent thing from falling into them and myself from hearing every pebble that hits the wheel well.

So here's the top...

...and the bottom:

As you can see, I didn't really manage to get the patch right. But since the shape of the wheel well in this area would make making a nice patch a PITA and I made it with a only few hours of daylight left to weld it in before having to leave the next morning I decided to leave it like that and will the rest with fiberglass filler. I had already cleaned it and applied rust converter beforehand so I'm not really worried about the rust coming back.

The next two photos were taken today, 200 km after I did this, that's why it's dirty.

(I didn't get the angle right, I'll take a better photo tomorrow).
praivo is offline   Reply With Quote