View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #34
andaconda

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by andaconda View Post
Going to change to "Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 API GL-4 (MTG)" after 7000 miles on the odometer. I have ground way too many gears from lack of pressing the clutch in all the way. I will feel better about getting the original gear lube out of the tranny.
I don't have a 24mm socket but the 15/16 I have fits well. The conversion is 24mm = 15.118/16 inch. Should I use my 15/16, or go buy a 24mm?
Followup:
I did the change to Amsoil.

A couple of tips tho:

I jacked up the drivers side of the car so that I could get to both plugs easier - but while I was draining, I let the car down off the jack, and then jacked it back up again to finish the job.

I did use my 15/16 socket with no problem.

Have the pan ready - I mean really ready - when I pulled out the filler plug, it came gushing out and missed my pan by a mile -- like all over the frame members, all over the jack, all over the driveway -- So be ready for it!

Have a helper on top with the fill funnel while you hold the fill tube in the fill hole -- you don't want to waste a precious drop of this expensive gear lube.

Don't over tighten the plugs. They're not that tight - 29 foot pounds.

Now I can't honestly tell any difference, but the cold weather hasn't come yet and I don't have but a couple of miles on it.
But at least I know it is changed out and I feel better about it.

My kid has been ribbing me about this switch from dino to synthetic. He said "you'll do anything to squeek one more mile per gallon, won't you!"

Last edited by andaconda; 10-17-2009 at 01:19 PM.
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote