View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 02:23 AM   #1
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
DIY - rear sway bar [pics]

Today we installed an Ultra Racing rear sway (anti-roll) bar on Babie Y's Yaris. I took a few pics, hope this is helpful.

First, jack up the back of the car (from the sides) and remove the rear wheels. This makes it easier to get to the bolts later.

Then, get out your sway bar. A friend, helper, bodyguard or whatever helps.

Look under the car. There is one large bolt holding the bottom of the rear shock. You can re-use this bolt. There is also a hole that isn't being used just in front of it, like this:

Here is the same two holes, shown from the inside angle instead:

Remove the bolt holding the shock. Place the swaybar with the bar at the bottom and so the holes line up. Re-install the bolt through the shock, then the sway bar, then a washer and nut. ***It is easier to do both shock bolts first, leaving the sway bar hanging -- then do the two front bolts.

That should look like this:

And like this:

Tighten and/or torque the nuts and you're done. In another thread there was consensus that "making them tight, but not crazy tight" was good enough for this.

thanks to supmet:
Quote:
For the TRD bar, the torque specs are 36 ft/lbs on the bolt at the bottom of the suspension, and 44 ft/lbs for the other bolt.
Go drive the car, high-five your bodyguard... and have a nice day.

* (check and re-tighten, if needed after driving for a few days).
* the Ultra Racing sway bar comes with hardware -- I'm sure the TRD one does, too.
* Yes, that is a Tokico shock.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.

Last edited by cali yaris; 03-08-2009 at 01:03 PM.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote