View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I repaired both hatch latches on my two Yaris'. Both required removal. In fact, yesterday, I repaired the assembly on the 08. You can open the tailgate by accessing the little plastic rectangle insert you mentioned. Use a screw driver to push the small steel tab sideways. If you fold down your back seat and lie with your head on the floor, you can shine a light in there (I use my cell phone).

Once you get the hatch open, you can pry (carefully!) the plastic hatch panel off. A number of the clips will remain in the steel hatch. These can be removed by prying (again carefully) with a screwdriver. One 10 mm bolt holds the assembly in place. Once removed, there is a "C" retaining clip that can be removed and the lock cylinder will come out. Clean that thing like crazy inside and out. I used electronics cleaner. Then lubricate it well. I had to work mine gently back and forth in a vice to free it up. I put the short steel shaft in the vice and with channelock pliers, carefully worked the cylinder back and forth until it was freed up.

New latches are expensive and then have to be rekeyed. Both of my latches were repairable and yours probably is too. The little lever attached to the key cylinder that releases the latch mechanism on the car can skip out of position to the wrong side of the latch arm. This had also happened on my 08. I just repositioned it properly when reinstalling.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote