Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-29-2010, 03:23 AM   #1
teawrecks
_

Drives: 2009 Yaris sedan
spring installation

i bought tanabe df210's recently from microimage. then arrived at my doorstep a week later. i called my local toyota dealership to ask how much it would cost to install them for me since i have no tools or experience...

they said $850 because they were not familiar with the brand of spring. to me that just sounds ridiculous. i could buy the tools and do this myself if i had time and motivation, yes, but it would be super nice to pay somebody whose done this before to install it for me

$850 is a total ripoff right?
if any of you paid to have this done for you, how much did it cost you?
hope you don't mind me asking

thanks, jon
teawrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
Freedan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Bayou Blue 3DR Lift
I installed my own springs but that's only because I was getting quotes from $300-400 at local shops.

The only tool that I had to go buy was a Spring Compressor ($30) at Pepboys. Other tools you'll need, 6mm hex key, some people call it an allen wrench, 14mm/17mm/19mm sockets and wrenches, 17mm offset deepwell box wrench, you could use a normal 17mm wrench but a deepwell box would make life so much easier when you disconnect the front strut from the shock tower. And Jack stand.

If you had to go buy everything, that's about $70-80ish. Heck, you could return the spring compressor and jack stand after you are finish, but that's kinda under-handed/dirty . . . . . . .

P.S.

Get nothing done at the Dealerships! They will bend you over, have their way with your wallet and make you watch!

Seriously.
Freedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedan View Post
I installed my own springs but that's only because I was getting quotes from $300-400 at local shops.

The only tool that I had to go buy was a Spring Compressor ($30) at Pepboys. Other tools you'll need, 6mm hex key, some people call it an allen wrench, 14mm/17mm/19mm sockets and wrenches, 17mm offset deepwell box wrench, you could use a normal 17mm wrench but a deepwell box would make life so much easier when you disconnect the front strut from the shock tower. And Jack stand.

If you had to go buy everything, that's about $70-80ish. Heck, you could return the spring compressor and jack stand after you are finish, but that's kinda under-handed/dirty . . . . . . .

Sweet. And a great savings.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
markitect

Drives: Yaris
A lot of parts stores will let you borrow a spring compressor, you'll just need to put down a deposit.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
someon e local will do it for $125 cnd..not sure if its the same for yaris..that price was for a mazda3
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I didn't use Sears, but as a reference they said 300. That is a lot cheaper than 850 for sure, but still steep. It should make no difference who the manufacturer...wtf? Seriously? Sounds to me like they don't want a liability issue for installing lowering springs so they are quoting you an astronomical price to get you to go somewhere else. It is one of the oldest service tricks in the book. I have spoken with a little over a half dozen of my local shops and they refused to install lowering springs.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
teawrecks
_

Drives: 2009 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedan View Post

P.S.

Get nothing done at the Dealerships! They will bend you over, have their way with your wallet and make you watch!

Seriously.
dude thanks for all this info, i might just have a crack at it myself when i have the time
teawrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
dude that is insane. no need for it to be more than a couple of hours at the most, and at any decent shops rate, even dealers, the most it could be is like $300.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
Manley81bass

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
I found a spring compressor at Harbor Freight Tools for $10.
Manley81bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
isra

Drives: 2007 Yaris hb
I have dose on my car and they only charged me 80.00$$$$$ to mount them the most i would pay would be 130.00$ anything more than that is to much specially if they done it before and have the tools to do it.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I'm sure a fellow YarisWorld member in your area would be happy to help you out for much less than the Stealership wants.
Too bad you're so far away. I've got the time, the tools and the experience.
It's a no-brainer.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
If you could get the $850 quote in writing, it would be priceless. That is a total ripoff, my god.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote