Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
Toyota Kel
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Help! Car won't start...

I'm a new driver and have had my Yaris for about 6 months. It a 2006 manual with stop/start ignition.

i tried to take the car for a spin over the weekend and it wouldn't start. Press the cluth and the ignition button, and it just make a quiet wheezing noise and refuses to start.
2 warning lights appear for a few seconds, the battery and the oil level. But they always appear when I start the engine. After about 5-10 seconds, all the normal lights on the dash turn on and the engine sounds even worse.

The car's been recalled by Toyota to get the accelerator fault fixed, and I can't even drive it to the garage...

Does anyone have any advice on if I can get the car started by myself? I don't want to havea to call a breakdown service if I can help it.

Thanks very much!!!

Kel

P.S. If it makes a difference, it's parked facing downhill on a steep slope.
Toyota Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
it may be your battery if so you are in luck it's parked facing downhill on a steep slope so you just need to clutch start. if the battery is dead the car will make a clicking noise or even nothing, you may even just need to spin the stearing wheel a bit to click out of lock. To clutch start you turn the key all the way on,make suer you are on a clear hill with no other cars around stick it in 2nd roll down the hill till you get to about 20-30kph then quickly lift your foot from the clutch as you hit the gas and the car will start be sure to leave it running to recharge battery, i had this problem a few times one reason was that i changed the lights in the car to leds and the car did not like it much and the stock battery is not very powerful so i put in a better one that lasts longer so
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
What wheezing noise is typical of what a starter makes when its not engaging. But your car being new that dosnt make sense. You can try taping on it with a rubber malet sometimes that works.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
It's nto new, it's an 06. IT might be dead? When you flip the light switch do the headlights come on? If not you have a dead battery
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
I didn't think the Yaris had been recalled for the accelerator problem.
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote