Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
sarap

Drives: red liftback egg
New Yaris owner from Texas

Sup folks, new Yaris owner here from Houston.
I've been a little car enthusiast for a while and always liked the shape of these cars. Especially when they're lowered substantially. I've been lurking and reading up on the DIY's before I bought the car so I could have some stuff to keep me busy haha.
I've owned quite a few Hondas, volkwagens, low rider projects, 240's, etc. But for some reason I always wanted a Yaris hatch. Last week went out to car max and picked one up. An 07 5speed. In white.
Here are the pics :

sarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Nice, congrats!

If you don't mind me asking, how many miles on it and what did it cost you?
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:40 AM   #3
sarap

thanks, i paid a decent amount due to being at the dealership, and because i financed it. i got it with 88k mile. for 7k i know its alot but it was exactly what i wanted. white, and 5 speed.

mods so far in the 1st week of ownership :

5k hids, (re-leveled beams) for the convenience of on coming traffic
old school napolex levoc shifter
afe intake (had it on for two days) v2 going to sell it soon.
took it out and replaced it with a k and n drop in filter.
led dome light/map light/ license plate
ordered an oem spoiler

next parts to order, trd rear strut, d2's or megan coilovers, wheels.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:45 AM   #4
sarap

Old 02-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Congrats you made a wise choice.

My mom and bro live in Houston. Nice place to visit but too hot in summer!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarap View Post
thanks, i paid a decent amount due to being at the dealership, and because i financed it. i got it with 88k mile. for 7k i know its alot but it was exactly what i wanted. white, and 5 speed.

mods so far in the 1st week of ownership :

5k hids, (re-leveled beams) for the convenience of on coming traffic
old school napolex levoc shifter
afe intake (had it on for two days) v2 going to sell it soon.
took it out and replaced it with a k and n drop in filter.
led dome light/map light/ license plate
ordered an oem spoiler

next parts to order, trd rear strut, d2's or megan coilovers, wheels.
You're moving quick, that's awesome. Keep us updated with pics.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
sarap

Haha I really like the car and it's fun to drive. I just hate being at stock height. My boss asked me if it was a smart car -__- haha.
I will be posting the afe for sale shortly if anyone wants it 120 shipped ?
Old 02-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
sarap

As far as my over all look I honestly admire this simple Yaris set up for daily duties. Shout out to the owner ! Occasionally I'll bring out the wider wheels and lower setup for fun, but sprinter/kanjo daily set up is ideally the goal for my everyday commute back. And forth to work.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
ern-diz

You're going for white with white wheels. I went black with black wheels lol.

I have a K&N drop in. Curious why you only ran the AFE for 2 days and are now looking to sell?
Old 02-19-2016, 12:17 AM   #10
sarap

after installing it i gave up after reading countless threads on the cel light coming back on. In my younger days i would have just ignored the CEL and drove it not caring for it, but for some reason, perhaps error of install after multiple attempts to correct this, it just kept coming on, i honestly dont know what it was i was doing incorrect.
installed without MAF spacers, made sure all lines were clamped, etc. still no luck. I figured someone here with more patience could benefit from my lack of. Long story short i gave up on trouble shooting. Re-installed my OEM one and no issues with the drop in K&N. i bought the intake used, but the filter was spotless, no cracks in the piping, etc.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #11
ern-diz

Quote:
after installing it i gave up after reading countless threads on the cel light coming back on. In my younger days i would have just ignored the CEL and drove it not caring for it, but for some reason, perhaps error of install after multiple attempts to correct this, it just kept coming on, i honestly dont know what it was i was doing incorrect.
installed without MAF spacers, made sure all lines were clamped, etc. still no luck. I figured someone here with more patience could benefit from my lack of. Long story short i gave up on trouble shooting. Re-installed my OEM one and no issues with the drop in K&N. i bought the intake used, but the filter was spotless, no cracks in the piping, etc.
Interesting
Old 02-19-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
sarap

Yeah, I'm not trying to pass it off as broken and trying to pull a fast one on anybody, not my style, but honestly I think it has to do with the elbow breather piece that gets plugged in to the actual elbow of the intake pipe. I'll have take pics to show more of what I'm talking about.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #13
ern-diz

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not trying to pass it off as broken and trying to pull a fast one on anybody, not my style, but honestly I think it has to do with the elbow breather piece that gets plugged in to the actual elbow of the intake pipe. I'll have take pics to show more of what I'm talking about.
Did you feel an increase in power the two days you ran it?
Old 02-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #14
sarap

honestly the throttle response was cool. noticed more pep and jump it was on the car for about 4 days max haha. i just got my exhaust done today, ill post pics.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #15
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
First of all, welcome from another Texas Yaris owner (San Antonio). There are a fair amount of Yarii in the Lone Star State, but it's nowhere near as popular here as it is in Europe and Asia! In fact, we play a game equivalent to 'Slug Bug where whoever spots a Yaris hatchback first calls it out and punches someone else (lightly) in the arm.

Secondly, I think getting rid of the K&N was a good idea. I had one in my previous car, a 1996 VW Passat, and it gave me nothing but trouble. I was always getting CELs and cleaning the MAF, I just don't think those things work well (I had the car in Belgium for three years and even there it gave me problems).

Lastly, I think you made the wise choice in the Yaris hatch. I bought mine new in 2008 and despite the Texas sun doing a number on the paint job (mine's black), it's still a great car and fun to drive. In fact, the guy who sits next to me at work bought one almost exactly like mine (his is stock, I've got aftermarket stuff on mine). Even though they are moderately powered, they are light and handle great; and there's nothing more fun than taking mine onto the curvy, hilly roads of the Texas Hill Country. We often use it to go up to Austin or other trips, I try to stay off the highways as they are not as pleasant to drive on as scenic, more relaxed back roads.

Cheers! M2
Old 02-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #16
ern-diz

If I'm reading correctly, he had an AFE intake for a few days and decided to get ride of that in exchange for a K&N drop in. The AFE intake was throwing CELs, but he's had no issues with the K&N.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #17
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
If I'm reading correctly, he had an AFE intake for a few days and decided to get ride of that in exchange for a K&N drop in. The AFE intake was throwing CELs, but he's had no issues with the K&N.
Yep, you are right on that; but I think "SaraP" is a she, not a he...

As for K&N filters, I still wouldn't run one here...
Old 02-22-2016, 02:08 AM   #18
sarap

haha all good!
im a dude but ive gotten that mix up since like 2003 when i first started posting on car forums haha. but yeah for some odd reason i was getting CEL's with the AFE and read that it was fairly common. so i have it sitting in its box ready to go to someone who knows how to install it properly or find the error i keep making lol

im going to start a small build thread with updates on my car! ill post some pics in there from this weekend.

and howdy from Houston !