Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
DKazzed

Drives: Mazda 5 GT 5MT
Pondering a Yaris

Well I've been looking at used Echo hatchbacks lately, particularly the RS model. Half the price of a Yaris RS, a whole lot of fun to drive, 200 lb lighter, and they're getting pretty rare now. But with 0% financing for 60 mo, I wonder if I should keep my money in mutual funds instead which has grown 35% in the past year btw and finance a brand new Yaris. The money I make on my funds in 5 years will probably offset the higher cost of a Yaris over an Echo, plus it's starting to grow on me and accessories like the TRD Borla exhaust is very available.

I'm still deciding whether to get an LE or RS. The one thing that irks me about the RS is that for only $1,700 more or so, I can get a Corolla S. I don't really want a Corolla S, I have a Mazda 5 GT already which is fun to drive for what it is but it's big and heavy. I want a small fun to drive around town roundabout, as well as a car to get me admitted back into a Toyota club that I'm still part of but feels weird driving a Mazda in a Toyota cruise lol. Besides, $1,700 will get me the exhaust, lowering springs, strut tower bar, and a few other items... I can be a pretty spirited driver when I want to be and there are a lot of fun curvy mountain roads to drive on around here.

I really like the sport seats, fold flat and fore/aft back seats, the side skirts, and the Blizzard Pearl colour, and I like the CD changer and alloy wheels, but I preferred the low profile spoiler and front lip from the 06 to 08 RS. Not to say I don't like the look of the new RS, I think it's hot, but at my age (27) I prefer a more subtle sporty look. I don't know if I should just settle with the LE with the convenience package and price stuff a la carte. I had a Corolla before and Toyota would not sell the side skirts separately, it had to be the full body kit for $2,000.

I may just settle for the RS, just need a good number of people to convince me that the LE is the better route. lol.
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
DKazzed

Actually after listening to the Borla exhaust on Youtube, I may get annoyed by it after awhile. lol. Maybe it's just the 1NZ engine... my buddy's Matrix XRS with a 2ZZ engine sounds hot with the Borla exhaust especially when it hits LIFT.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
The one thing that you will have to learn is that for example just because the Corolla S is only 1700 more doesn't mean that it is a better car for you. I for example love the body lines of the Yaris over the Corolla. The dealership actually tried to talk me up on it, but like I said the Yaris is a a better looking vehicle IMHO. It is all preference plus how many people have you heard of hypermiling a Corolla to over 50mph for example?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
DKazzed

Well my personal best in the Corolla was 51 USMPG on a 500 mile trip, I hypermilled the first 250 miles but when I got to the two lane section I didn't want to piss off fellow drivers so I just stuck at a constant 60mph.

BTW I hated my Corolla. Actually overall I liked the car but it became very uncomfortable to drive after an hour because for some reason it just didn't provide me with adequate thigh support, if not for that I would've kept it. It was a 2008 btw. If I make a big car purchase, the dealer MUST provide me with at least a two hour test drive. There is no way I am ever buying a car without one. A Toyota dealer I was dealing with a couple of weeks ago let me take home a Toyota Echo hatchback overnight, now THAT'S service. I loved the car but it was a non RS model,, but even when I decided not to get it, they were still nice and friendly to me. They definitely will have my business when I decide on the Yaris.