Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2007, 12:07 AM   #1
ebowers83

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4D Sedan
I finally did it! Before and after pictures of head unit....

Well I finally did it, I recently bought and installed my new head unit into my Yaris and I LOVE IT! I ordered the Pioneer 4900 unit from Crutchfield, which is a great way to go as they send you instructions, a free mounting kit and harness so you can't go wrong! It was easier than I thought to dismantle the old one and install, so take a look and don't hesitate to upgrade yourself, even if you had the integrated radio like mine...

Before

And After!

Everything fits together well... didn't require any drilling or anything to put kit into car, just slid right in! Let me know what you think.
ebowers83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:28 AM   #2
myt

Drives: Blazing Blue 07 YAris
Looks nice E!! I just did mine too and love it. Next is replacing the factory speakers :)
myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
nqd

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Absolute RED
i was thinking about changing my audio system but i dont want some random guy installing it for me....

i dont know much about car audio either but is it real easy to do?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
myt

Drives: Blazing Blue 07 YAris
Quote:
i was thinking about changing my audio system but i dont want some random guy installing it for me....

i dont know much about car audio either but is it real easy to do?
Yep...I used one of the DIY to install mine. Just make sure that you get a good dash kit. I used crutchfield and it is great. I haven't touched the speakers yet, but I will soon...
myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Hey that looks good!

Was it hard to find the right dash kit for the Yaris Sedan with the integrated stereo?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I just got mine in the mail from Crutchfield...I got the install kit and the wiring harness. I am putting my Pioneer Premier that I have had from my Tercel for now until I find an H/U that I really like...I really like Eclipse, but not sure what to get as of yet. Anyway, you can just go through their wizard for the car and the parts will pop up...or you can call them asking for Metra kit 99-8216 and then if you need the wiring that would be Crutchfield part 120-70-1761....if you do it send me a PM and I will give you a Promo code to save you 20 bucks on an order...then you might get them for close to free without buying anything else. Since I didn't get an H/U through them it would have been 12 bucks for shipping however the guy gave me free shipping since I also bought a Samsung 56" DLP TV along with it...that shows up 2mrw. I haven't figured out yet how I am going to shoehorn that thing into my S...

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

fnkngrv

Thanks for confirming dude. I've got a hatchback so I'll pass!

I was just curious to know if the dash kit for the Sedan integrated stereo was more readily available now.

There were many Sedan owners who complained of not having a proper dash kit...
Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
ebowers83

Thanks for all the comments. To answer the q's, like the others said, order it from Crutchfield for the free harness and correct mounting kit, which is Metra 99-8216. That is the right one for either the 3 door or the 4 door; the kit comes with 2 different kind of clips for either the sedan or hatchback.

Now with the integrated stereo, you must go to the dealer to order the part.. I paid 74 for mine, just ask for the center stereo piece. You may want to shop around at different toyota dealers.. one sold it for 89 one for 74 so make sure you get the cheapest one. When they look it up on the computer, you can see a little diagram of it which shows the double din opening so you can't go wrong. Then once you have the stereo, harness, and mounting kit, go to a hardware store and buy those wire crimps to secure the wires together (everything is color coded so its really simple) I heard talk of a smart harness which allows you to avoid all the wiring and soldering so you could look that up too.

My dad helped me so I couldn''t have done it without him :)

Old 07-31-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Ah, I had a suspicion the centre piece was OEM Toyota. The paint matched the rest of the dash components so well and it looked very clean. $74 is a bit steep though, but what can you do?

Congrats, good install!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
vacantj

Drives: Yaris 4Dr sedan
I think the guy from sparkstoyota - Ken was selling them a little bit cheaper..
vacantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
whoa that looks so much better than the original. although your original looks so diff than mine. is that the standard for the sedans?

-Said by me during a game of Cranium.
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #12
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
whoa that looks so much better than the original. although your original looks so diff than mine. is that the standard for the sedans?
Yep, you have the easy upgradeable deck. The sedans look to be a pain to install. Need a special trim kit.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #13
ebowers83

My sister recently purchased a Yaris sedan and hers had a double din opening, but she didn't get the power package with the RPM gauge, etc.

So I believe if you purchase the sedan with the power package, you get the integrated radio. Sedans without power package have normal non-integrated panel.

Thanks again everyone... if it wasn't for all the good advice about the components I never would have been able to make it happen.... big accomplishment for me
Old 08-01-2007, 06:33 PM   #14
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
not too shabby

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #15
driver centric
I know right?

Drives: 07 Bayou LB
Props from a fellow Marylander, looking good!

07 Bayou Blue Liftback 5-spd manual
driver centric is offline   Reply With Quote