Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-27-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Dealer overflows engine oil by like one quart..........

do these guys even check how much oil they put in?

on a flat surface, after overnight, i check the engine oil

it's like one inch OVER the high "dot"

what should i do
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
the yaris takes 3.75QT of oil. Royal Purple is sold in 0.965(?) quarts, anyways, it adds up to something around 3.8QT when filled with 4 bottles.

the dip stick does go pretty well over the "high" dot over night. I will check it again tomorrow morning...
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
Yawesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
the yaris takes 3.75QT of oil. Royal Purple is sold in 0.965(?) quarts, anyways, it adds up to something around 3.8QT when filled with 4 bottles.

the dip stick does go pretty well over the "high" dot over night. I will check it again tomorrow morning...
so there's no accurate way of checking it?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
xpeteyjtx

Drives: 07 BB Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawesh View Post
do these guys even check how much oil they put in?

on a flat surface, after overnight, i check the engine oil

it's like one inch OVER the high "dot"

what should i do
An inch over would be too much for me (whether it would do critical damage is a question for the people who designed the engine). I would take it back. It is safe to say that they added about 5 quarts. Most dealers seem to overfill the oil. Unfortunately, some people think that every car takes 5 quarts.

I usually just add 4 quarts and it ends up being just over the full mark with a new oil filter.
xpeteyjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
I just did an oil change and can tell you that it should take around 3.5 quarts.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
I put four quarts and that puts it just over. Never bothered to check after a dealer change.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
I just did an oil change and can tell you that it should take around 3.5 quarts.
3.5 quarts of oil brings both our YARII to or a tad below / above the FULL mark . You could either take it back or change the oil filter yourself 1 > 3 times , also loose oil when you remove filter . The oil filter holds about 4 ounces of oil . They don't let vehicles drain that long , gotta get 'em in and out . Profit to be made yeh know . That's why I do O.C.s at home . At least I know what I've done . Or do I ? Ain't gettin' any younger .

Last edited by gid; 12-28-2008 at 11:17 AM.
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
gid

or go to PEPBOYS , AUTOZONE , ADVANCE AUTO PARTS , or WALLY WORLD and get the 5 quarts of oil and filter for $15.99 or less and D.I.Y.. Here's some specials , http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...oard=33&page=1 . That's if you have the place , tools , and knowledge to do it . GOOD LUCK
Old 12-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I would take it back. Tell the service manager that trust in their dealership for future service work is broken. If you play your cards right you might get the next oil change free. Your experience is why I do all my own service work.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #10
Yawesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
I would take it back. Tell the service manager that trust in their dealership for future service work is broken. If you play your cards right you might get the next oil change free. Your experience is why I do all my own service work.
thanks, to everyone.

so far i have driven like 350 miles since the over oil change, bad bad bad?
Old 12-29-2008, 01:43 AM   #11
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I let mine drain for a while and use about 3.8 quarts and its perfectly to the full mark or a little below. I think they dont let it drain enough and then they add the 4 quarts.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawesh View Post
thanks, to everyone.

so far i have driven like 350 miles since the over oil change, bad bad bad?
You will kill the motor, catalytic converter unless you get it drained SOON. You are creating and sucking in massive amounts of oil - and foaminbg up the oil. the Manuals states this will cause engine damage AND IS NOT COB+VERED UNDER WARRANTY ... you could end up with a 25MPG yaris any moment. NO SHICK!
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
gid

+1 , get it done soon as possible . Being so full could harm seals , gaskets , and seep past the rings due to extra pressure within the motor affecting emmision system .
Old 12-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #14
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Lightbulb

+2 Plus if you take it back in and there's any damage incurred later as a result of their negligence, you got it on record. Word.
NJBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I have yet to find a dealer that isn't sloppy about their oil changes. Two Jeeps I have that get dealer oil changes are always overfilled. I have to take them home and loosen the drain plug and bleed off the extra till it's back to the full mark. Last time they dumped oil all over the motor and it ran down the back side-very smelly for a week no matter how much I tried to clean it off. This car has never seen a dealer yet-I do my own oil changes since it's simple and there are no grease fittings to worry about. If you don't have the place or means to bleed it off yourself-try taking it back to the place that did it. As already stated here, it is not good for the engine/seals. Good luck.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote