Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
phaznet

Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
Wheel Alignment help

Hey friends, I need your input(s).

Took my car to get a wheel alignment today (steering wheel is slightly to right when driving in a straight line), not a lot, but enough for me to notice.

No adjustment was done to it. Mechanic said it was all within spec.
Is that right?

Also, when speaking to the mechanic about the *unnecessary* 105$ wheel alignment, he told me it may have something to do with the lowering springs.

I'm thinking of bringing it to another local mechanic (trusted) to see if they recommend a wheel alignment (done elsewhere).

Anybody have similar issues?
Any help would be appreciated!

Phaznet
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I'm not sure if straight line is affected by camber. Mine was out of spec, and I had camber shims added to get 0 camber at the front.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
When doing an alignment you set the steering wheel to wherever you want, then adjust the tie-rods so that the tires are pointed the correct amount to keep the steering wheel there when driving. Meaning, you can set the steering wheel wherever you want (even off center). Yarii are odd because there is no cluster to line up with so what you feel is centered may be different than the techs idea. My suggestion would be to show the tech where you feel center is, and have him adjust it to that. Also, within spec does not mean perfect. They charged you for an alignment, they should have it close to perfect. If you show me the print out, I can advise further (I've done thousands of alignments).
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
CoryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I'm not sure if straight line is affected by camber.
Yes, cross-camber or cross-caster (difference side to side), can cause the vehicle to lead left or right. 0.5° different is usually the max allowed.
Cheers.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Weight of the driver can also be significant. I'm heavy so the alignment machine was set to account for that. Tracks straight as an arrow.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
phaznet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Weight of the driver can also be significant. I'm heavy so the alignment machine was set to account for that. Tracks straight as an arrow.
I'm 140 soaking wet, shouldn't be an issue.

The printout doesn't show much, but here's what they wrote:

Description: Front Wheel alignment, check front and rear wheel angles. No adjustment. Environmental service fee.

Also, am I right in my suspicion that the lowering springs have nothing to do with it?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #7
CoryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaznet View Post
I'm 140 soaking wet, shouldn't be an issue.

The printout doesn't show much, but here's what they wrote:

Description: Front Wheel alignment, check front and rear wheel angles. No adjustment. Environmental service fee.

Also, am I right in my suspicion that the lowering springs have nothing to do with it?
OK. The printout I was after is the one that shows the actual angles. They may not have given it to you. Lowering does affect alignment, and you should always have it checked/done afterwards. Lots of places will check for free, and only charge if it is required. May want to have one of them try. If you get the printout I can advise more.
Cheers.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
phaznet

I had a wheel alignment done right after I put on the springs about 3 years ago. The winters a quite rough here, lots of pot holes, curbs hidden by snow etc. I definitely thought I was overdue for one since I haven't done a wheel alignment in the past in 3 years.

Thanks for the help guys/girls!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
MoneyT8

Drives: White Yaris Sedan
I've just had my alignment done and now the steering wheel is tilting to the left when driving highspeeds. I've been thinking about taking it back and getting it re-checked but no warranty or just taking it some place else. It drives me insane I mean I thought the steering wheel is suppose to be dead straight. I hope it's not damaging my tires. So stressful.
MoneyT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
If you're up for a drive. You might gain by contacting Scott at Can-Alignment. He's just north of Hamilton on hwy 6.

http://www.canalignment.com/

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #11
2005rs

Drives: 2005 Echo Rs
I had my echo to the same garage three times in a row to correct alignment after redoing the front struts. One of the mechanics suggested rotating the tires. The manager wanted to 'adjust the alignment out of spec to make it work right'. I rotated the tires and it worked! Don't know why, but it did
2005rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #12
phaznet

Did you rotate the front tires only, or all 4?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:43 AM   #13
CoryM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005rs View Post
I had my echo to the same garage three times in a row to correct alignment after redoing the front struts. One of the mechanics suggested rotating the tires. The manager wanted to 'adjust the alignment out of spec to make it work right'. I rotated the tires and it worked! Don't know why, but it did
Tires can definitely cause leads/pulls. It's possible that now your tire lead is going the opposite direction of your car's lead, and cancelling it out. If a car comes into my shop with no impact-damage, I always rotate the front tires left to right first to diagnose if it is a tire-lead, or an alignment-lead.
Cheers.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #14
phaznet

I will have to try this. Will post back with results.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
phaznet

Rotated front tires, no discernible difference :(
Old 03-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Go back to the shop have the alignment redone rear is non adjust unless u shim it its mainly toe set and that is all one really needs or can do on a yaris unless u shim ...my yaris is on teins and all I had to do was reset toe my front camber is at 0 and rear with in spec.
I say take it back !
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote