Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2008, 01:02 AM   #1
daikin22

Drives: YARIS
Recommendation for Shocks?

This is my first post. Well, I would like you guy to recommend shock for me. Now, I'm using H&R spring and I would like to get new shock that give me a smooth drive. In my mind, I just look for Tein, Tanabe, and TRD. Which one would you recommend?

Thank you.
daikin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Tokiko
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
Tokico will stiffen it up a bit. For smoothness KYB should suffice.
ztrack157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Tokico and KYB both are the manufacturers of the TRD Sportivo shocks. My TRD's are made by KYB. They are good, but non-adjustable. I got some Tokico "Blues" for my dad's Camry, and the ride got mildly stiffer (again, Tokico Blues are probably the same ones as the TRD's).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
KYB do manufacture the TRD shocks (mine at least) but the difference is the damping rates.
The TRD shocks produce excellent handling but at the sacrifice of ride comfort. If you want a "smooth" ride find a shock with much less damping than the TRD's. The KYB GR-2 shocks may be your answer. They are an OEM replacement shock with slightly greater damping than the stock units. I've enjoyed them in my previous ride (Eibach lowered Talon) and the ride comfort was maintained while still controlling the stiffer lowering springs adequately.

Good Luck!

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by daikin22 View Post
I would like to get new shock that give me a smooth drive.
Look at your ride height. If the car has too little suspension travel, you're simply NOT going to get a "smooth drive". The problem with going too low is that you reduce the stock 3-4" of bump-absorbing suspension travel to less than 2". If you didn't cut the bump stops, you'd be ON them at rest. If you did cut the bump stops, you've got a whole inch before you contact them. This means that with stock shocks and typical off-the-shelf lowering springs, you're going to blow through what little travel you have on almost every bump. You'll at least get into the bump stop, which will make the ride harsh. If it's a larger bump, you'll compress the bump stop making it even harsher.

To run super-low ride heights on a race car, WAY stiffer springs and corresponding stiffer shock damping is used to make the most of the available suspension travel. None of that adds up to a smooth ride.

To recap: You're not going to get a smooth ride on a street car that's been lowered too much.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
YarisSedan

I wouldnt go with a oe replacement since you car is lowerd. My experience kyb can be blown out easily in 15k miles on a lowerd car. Depending on where you live and how you drive. You are better off getting set of shocks that are specificly designed for lowered cars such as tokiko shocks. I saw a video in school once how they test every shock before packaging. I would say they are very high quality.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
To recap: You're not going to get a smooth ride on a street car that's been lowered too much.
The theory is correct -- but I guess I would ask you to take a ride in my car when I had DF210's (2" drop) and TRD shocks. Very smooth ride, but not totally mushy like stock.

TehXFallen has the same combo now and I'm always surprised when I ride in his car how perfect that combo feels for the Yaris.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
"Smooth" is a very subjective thing. It depends on your personal tastes, and on what kind of roads you have to drive on every day.

My preference is always what I call "firm, but not harsh".

I don't know how much height you lose with the H&R springs, that's why I urged the OP to look at his ride height and make his own observations.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #10
daikin22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
"Smooth" is a very subjective thing. It depends on your personal tastes, and on what kind of roads you have to drive on every day.

My preference is always what I call "firm, but not harsh".

I don't know how much height you lose with the H&R springs, that's why I urged the OP to look at his ride height and make his own observations.

Thank for reply

My H&R spring is about 30mm drop. Well, which shock would you recommend me.
However, it'll better, if I'm change the whole set (Spring & Shock).
Thank you
Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
daikin22

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
I wouldnt go with a oe replacement since you car is lowerd. My experience kyb can be blown out easily in 15k miles on a lowerd car. Depending on where you live and how you drive. You are better off getting set of shocks that are specificly designed for lowered cars such as tokiko shocks. I saw a video in school once how they test every shock before packaging. I would say they are very high quality.
Thank for Reply

What is model # for Tokiko shocks (the one that same as trd shocks)

Thank in advances.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #12
daikin22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Tokico and KYB both are the manufacturers of the TRD Sportivo shocks. My TRD's are made by KYB. They are good, but non-adjustable. I got some Tokico "Blues" for my dad's Camry, and the ride got mildly stiffer (again, Tokico Blues are probably the same ones as the TRD's).
Thank for Reply

Do you which model is same spac as TRD shocks (for yaris).

Thank you.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #13
daikin22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
KYB do manufacture the TRD shocks (mine at least) but the difference is the damping rates.
The TRD shocks produce excellent handling but at the sacrifice of ride comfort. If you want a "smooth" ride find a shock with much less damping than the TRD's. The KYB GR-2 shocks may be your answer. They are an OEM replacement shock with slightly greater damping than the stock units. I've enjoyed them in my previous ride (Eibach lowered Talon) and the ride comfort was maintained while still controlling the stiffer lowering springs adequately.

Good Luck!
Thank for Reply

KYB GR-2 is suitable for Yaris right?

Thank you.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #14
YarisSedan

Quote:
Thank for Reply

What is model # for Tokiko shocks (the one that same as trd shocks)

Thank in advances.
http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/...idproduct=7797

and you can support a yarisworld vender. I think there was another vender selling the same set also.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Thank for Reply

Do you which model is same spac as TRD shocks (for yaris).

Thank you.
Sorry, I actually do not know which KYB model has the same specs as the TRD's. But I would assume the GR-2's.

On that note, I had GR-2's on my GTI with some Megan lowering springs. It was a pretty smooth ride. Not as stiff as my Yaris' ride (probably due to the S.Techs).
Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 AM   #16
daikin22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Sorry, I actually do not know which KYB model has the same specs as the TRD's. But I would assume the GR-2's.

On that note, I had GR-2's on my GTI with some Megan lowering springs. It was a pretty smooth ride. Not as stiff as my Yaris' ride (probably due to the S.Techs).
I just saw from another your post. Are you using Tein spring w/ Tanabe shocks, aren't you? Well, I would like to ask you about Tanabe shocks which is good or not.

Thank you

Well, your tanabe shocks is adjustable shocks, isn't it? and is it "Tanabe Sustec Pro" right?
Old 12-17-2008, 04:29 AM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
I just saw from another your post. Are you using Tein spring w/ Tanabe shocks, aren't you? Well, I would like to ask you about Tanabe shocks which is good or not.

Thank you

Well, your tanabe shocks is adjustable shocks, isn't it? and is it "Tanabe Sustec Pro" right?
I believe you misread that. I have the Tein S.Tech springs with the TRD Sportivo shocks with a Tanabe Sustec strut bar. I like this set up a lot. Steering is more responsive, and body roll is pretty much reduced. However, since I do not have a rear sway bar, and if I push it hard onto an onramp, I can feel the car understeer. Therefore, I would recommend going with a rear sway bar first before a front strut bar.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #18
daikin22

Well, which one would you guy recommend me btw Tokiko or KYB.

Thanks in advance