Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Tonavi

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
My custom exhaust

I had a custom exhaust built last Friday, with dual tips in the center. It was built from the axle back. (pictures are coming as soon as I can get a camera) I drove around and the car sounds GREAT on the outside, not too loud, raspy, etc, but on the inside of the car, there is an agonizing drone at all speeds. I went back to the shop and they said putting in a glass pack in the midpipe would solve the problem, but I was skeptical. An 18 inch one did nothing. Then we tried a 24 inch one. The vibrations are gone but the car is still so F&*@ing inside I can't stand it. Is there anything I can do to quiet it down, without investing too much more money? I'm in almost $500 and wished I never touched it to begin with. It almost makes me want a different car.

I thought of sound insulation, but would probably need so much of it I'd be better off buying the OE setup.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tonavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
Tonavi

I also bought new tires, going from 185/60/15 to 205/55/15 expecting a small drop in economy for a huge gain in traction, but I seem to be getting 10-15 MPG LESS than before, on the same aftermarket rims. I have them aired high, 42 psi, and still no improvement. Could this be attributed to winter and should I wait to see if the tires really have a bad effect? In winter, I generally got 10 MPG less anyways even on the OE Potenzas. The car looks great, but this combined with the exhaust issue is so depressing...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I seem to be getting 10-15 MPG LESS than before, on the same aftermarket rims. I have them aired high, 42 psi, and still no improvement. Could this be attributed to winter
Quote:
In winter, I generally got 10 MPG less anyways even on the OE Potenzas.
um, didn't you answer your own question?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

as for the exhaust, some pics would be great. And here are some questions for you.

Did anyone from the shop say "this might be louder" before the work was done?
Did you talk about what you wanted in terms of volume and tone, or just the design of the exhaust?

1. What is the piping diameter of the parts you had changed? (resonator/piping/muffler)
2. What muffler did they install?
3. What resonator did they install?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Tonavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
um, didn't you answer your own question?
I wasn't expecting the overnight drop like that though. And since I got a Scangauge, the numbers look even worse. I used to have no trouble topping 45-46, now I'm lucky to even see 30-32.

For the exhaust, I knew it would be somewhat louder and deeper. Even the shop owner, who did the work, wasn't expecting the car to be as quiet as it was on the outside. I had someone drive it and I followed them. Sure enough, can't hear anything. Get into the car and start driving and it's like there is a rocket behind you all the time. I told them I wanted something that's a little louder than stock, something without being "ricey" and raspy like a can. They said this setup would have a different effect: it'd be a bit louder, but not unbearable at all from the inside. What we started off doing was unhooking the stock muffler and starting it up. Without anything on, it sounded quite nice! Not even loud. Even from inside the car, it was relatively quiet. I was expecting the piping to calm things down the rest. He then made a replacement from the axle back and split it into a dual tip setup. Looked and sounded wonderful in the garage. I drove around with everything else (resonator, cats, 2 inch piping, etc) stock without a muffler and by the time I got home, I thought I had a hearing problem. I went back and he tried the smaller glass pack. I didn't think there would be a difference, and there wasn't. He said a 24 inch one would do better, if add some restriction. He showed me the big one next to the small one and I tried it. Cost me another $107. Drove around the shop, and some of the vibrations were taken care of, but that droning remained. He said without redesigning the system, this was the best it would get. I left and got on the highway to come home and felt as if I'd flushed down another $107. It didn't even help at high speeds.

Last edited by Tonavi; 01-26-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

thanks for the answers.

I'm still looking for this: which resonator and muffler were installed and the size of the piping.

I've done what you've done three times over, so I might (or might not) have some guidance in terms of products for you.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
Tonavi

The stock resonator was ditched to fit the glass pack the second time around. There is no muffler, and the piping is bent in such a way that you couldn't add one. All of this was done with 2 inch pipe to keep everything the same as stock so it wouldn't get too loud.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
I think if you add muffler, it should quiet it down a little more. I have a glasspack like you, in place of the stock resonator. Here's my setup: AFE Intake, Megan Header, 28 Thrush Glasspack http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-24214/ and a Dynomax Muffler http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-24215/ .The piping size used was 2.25
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
Tonavi

So you think if I add a muffler like that Dynomax it will take care of it?

I would have to redesign and rebuild that exhaust so extensively that I'm afraid I'll be better off going back to stock, which I don't want to do because I actually do love the sound. I just want to control it more.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

That will help a lot. I did a center exit, twin-tip exhaust and fit in a Magnaflow muffler just fine.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

stock is less than 2", just to be clear.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
AzNguy

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 2009
If you want a quiet muffler at startup but really loud when you rev, then the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler is perfect for you. Here's my video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0DuRoqPSHE

And sorry for the end :)
AzNguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
Tonavi

I'll have to post a couple pictures when I get access to a camera for you to see. Is it possible to put a muffler before the axle-back assembly to avoid cutting that up? I ask because I spent over $400 on having that made by now.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I really don't know where you'd put it. It's kind of meant to go after the axle, but maybe someone else will have a creative idea for you.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Tonavi

I've been driving around a lot lately and think I can get used to it. This is my first car, therefore my first exhaust, and so maybe I'm not used to the difference. The car sounds great at full whack though.

A video of it is coming soon.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
I felt about the same when I reinforced the rear mounting. When engine revs down from 5K it vibrates + constant engine loud noise all inside down till 3.5K rpm
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
Tonavi

All of the noise in my case is from 1500-3000 rpm, right where I do all my driving.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #18
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Well there is your problem...You have a straight pipe in an N/A car, ummm duh its going to be loud. haha