Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Get ready for Gas increase!

get ready!
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
i'm ready!
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
I'm not =(

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
Ready and don't really care. I'm not going out and buying an SUV anytime soon.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
pixiedixie862

Drives: Scion xA
^ same here... I don't mind as long as the gas doesnt go over $5 a gallon again.

Donate for a great cause. Save the tata's!
pixiedixie862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
this in reference to ISRAEL / PALESTINE conflict and the possibilty that HEZBOLLAH or IRANIAN / SYRIAN involvement that could escalate to air strike on IRAN for supplying the rockets to HAMAS / HEZBOLLAH and the threat of nukes . PEACE ON EARTH . MY . Never gonna happen . Can't even get along in here on occasion . Makes me think IRAN is telling HAMAS or HEZBOLLAH to strike like they did few years ago just to test OBAMA and his administration . Wonder if RUSSIA may have told or suggested IRAN / SYRIA to step up the pressure , they've been quite active with flexing their muscle as of lately in our backyard and abroad .

Last edited by gid; 12-29-2008 at 10:11 PM.
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
It's kind funny that I read this thread right before I left work and sure enough on the way home from work gas had gone up since I left for work.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #8
CKaelin

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5 speed
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/op...=5070&emc=eta1

TAX IT BABY!

My other ride's a Gixxer!
CKaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
SuperFunBall

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue 3dr LB MT
It does not surprise me one bit. Both Russia and Iran's are in the dumps do to the fact they set their goverment budgets at oil being between 100.00 and 120.00 a barrel, a staple for their economies.

Sometimes you have to spit on your hands, raise the black flag, and start slashing throats
SuperFunBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Many of the world's oil rich economies/budgets were relying on 100+ bar oil. They never expected such a plunge. They were ready to spend it like they had it.

Hope they don't tax it so soon, (gas taxes-- New congress and Obama just may). Low gas prices would be more of a jolt to the economy than a stimulus could ever do.

I'm ready though... and if it ever gets too high, I'll get a motorcyle and a road bike.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
gid

high heating bills and gasoline prices helped to fuel this economic crisis . Many people use their credit cards to fill their gas guzzlers and to top off their oil / propane tanks . Plus the high fuel drove up the price of food putting more of a pinch on many . The CREDIT CARD business is expected to be next and is said to be worse than the downfall of housing . So , another larger bailout for banks is on the horizon . Seen on CBS news last night that LARGER vehicles are outselling small cars ( PRIUS , YARIS , etc. ) due to low gas prices and the large discounts on them . Thus setting us all up for a bigger fall if gas prices soar . PEOPLE JUST DON'T GET IT . . If there's another spike in gas , diesel , heating oil , propane , and natural gas we'll encounter catastrophic results . We the people have to come to reality that what we do impacts all on this planet in the present and future . Therefore many are unknowingly / knowingly killing their children and grandchildren's life ahead . IGNORANCE is BLISS .

Last edited by gid; 12-30-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
gid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFunBall View Post
It does not surprise me one bit. Both Russia and Iran's are in the dumps do to the fact they set their goverment budgets at oil being between 100.00 and 120.00 a barrel, a staple for their economies.
How true . The RUSSIANS need IRAN to pay for their nuclear program and arms that they supply to them . It's a chess match between the super powers and the little people in this world are its pawns ( or should I say commodities $ ) .

Last edited by gid; 12-30-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
CrazedEpidemic

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I don't mind if it goes up to $2/gallon. I think it should be taxed to $4/gallon to continue our path to a greener world and we should get rebates to offset the taxes so the money stays in America.
CrazedEpidemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #14
kou

Drives: 08 lb
dont really care gas is still a whole lot cheaper at $5 a gallon than a drink from starbucks.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
gid

how about ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedEpidemic View Post
I don't mind if it goes up to $2/gallon. I think it should be taxed to $4/gallon to continue our path to a greener world and we should get rebates to offset the taxes so the money stays in America.
OBAMA and his people make 55 m.p.h. mandatory for all of U.S. , lot of lead foots out there . The revenue from tickets could be used to rebuild roads ( create jobs ) , hire more police ( to enforce speed limit = more $ ) , and used towards alternative energy . Last , the rest of the misused bailout money given to the auto manufacturers should be sent as a stimulus check (ex. $1,000 ) to the people to purchase an AMERICAN made vehicle of their choice that get good gas mileage , for example : 32 m.p.g. highway or better . Any suggestions welcome . LET'S PASS A BILL ($ ) OF OUR OWN .
Old 12-31-2008, 09:18 PM   #16
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
That sort of sounds like government subsidized cars... All the stimulus/bailout packages need to stop. That's what is really setting us up for disaster.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:48 AM   #17
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKaelin View Post
Quote:
Furthermore, even if the government managed to convert General Motors, Chrysler and Ford to the cause of energy efficiency, cheap gas could open the door for a competitor — Toyota, perhaps? — to take over the lucrative market for gas-chuggers, leaving Detroit’s automakers eating dust once again.
.....this only argues for the Government getting its filthy hands off of the US auto industry, not raising the price of gasoline to fund whatever idiotic "green" programs that strike the fancy of Ivory Tower Pinheads, Activists, and Corporate Elitists who want to milk the public.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:19 AM   #18
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
OBAMA and his people make 55 m.p.h. mandatory for all of U.S. , lot of lead foots out there . The revenue from tickets could be used to rebuild roads ( create jobs ) , hire more police ( to enforce speed limit = more $ )
They tried that shit around here after the Steel Mills closed up and went away. Lots of speed traps.

The net result has been that people avoid the areas with speed traps like the plague. This ends up costing the local businesses, especially convenience stores, hard ware stores and family restaurants. All this does is benefit Wal-Mart, which can build a place on the Interstate and attract the lost business.

More so, people grow contemptuous of Police. The Police rely heavily upon the local people for help to solve and prevent crime. Turning them into enemies breaks down the effectiveness of law enforcement.

Whoever came up with this idea of making Police into tax collectors must hate police.

The 55 mph Federal speed limit was mental masturbation. What it saved in gasoline, which was marginal, increased accident rates (in part because up to a certain speed accidents are caused more by differences in speed than in absolute speed) and cost people lost time that they needed for economic activity. We didn't have cell phones back then either, which means if we jack down the speed limits more people will do their business in their cars, leading to more traffic deaths.

You want to save money? Change the laws that govern high speed Internet so that more people can telecommute from home. Change the Federal Regs that underpin Zoning Laws so that local communities cannot practice Apartheid against home based business. Repeal Kelo vs New London in Congress (they acted against the Supreme Court with guns on school grounds didn't they?) so that people can be more secure in their private property.

Most of all, quit making "One Size Fits All" regulations unless they are absolutely necessary.

Quote:
and used towards alternative energy .
Alternative to what?

Wind power? You need permits to put up windmills around here. One of my best friends is in a windy part of Fayette County, PA. He cannot get a permit - they've been doled out to politically connected people or require heavy amounts of paperwork.

Oddly enough, a bozo now and then tries to get his folks to get up of of their land to let them buy their property and build a windmill.

Dams cause fishies to suffer, and the waterways are the province of local, state and federal governments.

Wood? We've been burning wood since Homo Erectus walked the Earth. Big deal.

Algae? Not developed enough yet. Corn to ethanol? Boondoggle. Sawgrass? Cellulosic alcohol is probably worse than algae.

Quote:
Last , the rest of the misused bailout money given to the auto manufacturers should be sent as a stimulus check (ex. $1,000 ) to the people to purchase an AMERICAN made vehicle of their choice that get good gas mileage , for example : 32 m.p.g. highway or better . Any suggestions welcome . LET'S PASS A BILL ($ ) OF OUR OWN .
How about any of the monies saved being applied against the Federal Deficit, so that we don't have to go hat in hand to China or Japan to save our butts - again.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote